No announcement yet.

Small propane heater in deer blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt with a heater in every stand I hunt. What is wrong with being comfy anyway.

Comment

I used one last weekend for the first time ever for my little 8 year old girl. Best decision, can't believe I waited this long. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7m STW View Post
        I hunt with a heater in every stand I hunt. What is wrong with being comfy anyway.
        Exactly. Once I get cold...especially shivering cold, my bow hunting is done. If I can keep my muscles warm I have a better chance of pulling my shot off. JMO

Comment

I have been using them for a long time with one in every blind.......and using them in a bow box blind since 2007. I can't say I remember ever having a deer spook because of them......and that's with deer regularly at 10-20 yards. Like said above I think it actually helps your scent rise out of the blind.

I would also buy a stick lighter instead of using the super loud built-in igniter. Amazing how loud that thing is in a dead quiet blind. The stick lighter solves that problem with a subtle click.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I have been using them for a long time with one in every blind.......and using them in a bow box blind since 2007. I can't say I remember ever having a deer spook because of them......and that's with deer regularly at 10-20 yards. Like said above I think it actually helps your scent rise out of the blind.

I would also buy a stick lighter instead of using the super loud built-in igniter. Amazing how loud that thing is in a dead quiet blind. The stick lighter solves that problem with a subtle click.
            Ahh, good point about the igniter.

Comment

Never had an obvious problem with my heater at all. I have sat in warmth and had lots of deer around me and at the feeder. Keep the boy warm.

Comment

Mr. Buddy is your friend.

Mr. Buddy is your friend.

Don't hunt without him.

If you don't need him it is no problem.

Wise 1st Sgt taught me:

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Comment

That click IS loud. In a rifle blind, no biggie. In a bow blind, different story.

Gas heaters have been around longer than compound bows... so... if you feel you are not roughing it enough... think about your primary hunting tool in your hand.

It is not just kids that like to be comfortable when hunting.

I don't know about the scent rising is a good thing theory. It's only a good thing if after it rises, the predominant wind takes it away from where the deer are. I don't worry about that aspect personally because it is a toss up and a hard call to make. If I am wearing a crap ton of clothes in the blind and shivering uncontrollably, I am also likely to get picked off making noise as I move to stay warm.

Comment

Heater Buddy works for me. I am a ***** when it gets cold.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      I don't know about the scent rising is a good thing theory. It's only a good thing if after it rises, the predominant wind takes it away from where the deer are.

If it rises, why would it be a bad thing? You think it stops rising a foot above your head and hovers? If its gets it up above my blind, any small breeze is going to push it away....much like even a light wind pushes our regular scent on a bad wind at ground level to a deer.

Comment

I just started last year. I love it. But only in the box blind.

Comment

When younger we had heaters in every blind. Nowdays it doesn't seem to get as cold and have done away with them. That and if its too cold I just stay in the house.

I have hunted in the NWT, Canada and some northern states and yes a heter is needed when temps are -20, -10,0 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            If it rises, why would it be a bad thing? You think it stops rising a foot above your head and hovers? If its gets it up above my blind, any small breeze is going to push it away....much like even a light wind pushes our regular scent on a bad wind at ground level to a deer.
                            It can rise, hit a predominate wind above, cool, and sink where the deer are, yes.

I have been paying alot closer to predominate vs local wind lately. Just saying "wind out of the east" really isn't good enough. I have had wind at my face, and have deer blow out upwind and eventually got out and traced the fact that the wind was swirling vertically. At the ground, wind was at my face, but at tree top level, it was at my back.

I hunt in the hill country and the local winds at any spot on the lease vary and do weird things.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 7m STW View Post

Yup. I ain't ashamed to say that I use a heater. If I'm comfortable I'll stay longer. Been using a MR Buddy heater for years. Never been busted that I can attribute to the heater.

Most of the time my wife and/or granddaughter are in the blind with me so if they ain't comfortable ain't nobody happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                It can rise, hit a predominate wind above, cool, and sink where the deer are, yes.

I have been paying alot closer to predominate vs local wind lately. Just saying "wind out of the east" really isn't good enough. I have had wind at my face, and have deer blow out upwind and eventually got out and traced the fact that the wind was swirling vertically. At the ground, wind was at my face, but at tree top level, it was at my back.

I hunt in the hill country and the local winds at any spot on the lease vary and do weird things.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Well we haven't had any problems with your theory...on predominant or non-dominant frontal winds. We run them in all winds .

I would think if it cooled it would stay where it was at when it reached that level. It would have to be colder than ambient to fall. That being said, I'm not an expert...Just done some reading on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X