Venison heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
    Cut it in small cubes, put cubes on hook, catch catfish, fry catfish [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Nope! The heart goes in the gut pile with the rest of the innards!!!!!

Bisch
      Oh No! That's wasting meat!

Comment

I like elk heart, but never tried white tail or muley.

Comment

I tried it last year. Followed this article then breaded and baked in oven.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
            I know a few people that eat venison heart, so when I shot one today, I saved the heart as well. Got home and I'm wondering how to best prepare and cook it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
            All the best,
            Glenn
            Received this recipe this year. In the recipe there is a link to prepare the heart (see below too).

Here are the prep steps: http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...are-deer-heart

Never saved the heart in the past. Will use for grind at very least as someone else said above.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
              Cut it in small cubes, put cubes on hook, catch catfish, fry catfish [emoji1303]
              Best recipe!

Comment

Venison heart

Cut all the silver skin off the outside, open it up and do the same on the inside. I use a neater tenderizer and pound it out some, especially the harder piece in the middle. Salt and pepper and cook in a cast iron skillet. I like to make tacos on a corn tortilla with sautéed onions, peppers, corn, cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of lime.

Comment

The best piece of advice I can give is if it looks chewy trim it! No imo the best way to do it is to cut into 1" slices and put over a wood fire. Cook to 145 and enjoy absolutely the best part of the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

My wife cooks it slow for about 6 hours after she sears it. It's hard to beat, tender as all get out.

(Disclaimer there is some other trimmings added in those pics to make enough for supper)

Now that right there looks GOOD! Your wife must be cajun. That is the way we cook it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I cut it thin and fry it like backstrap. My fiance can't tell the difference. Lol

Comment

marinade it in balsamic vinegar, rose mary, garlic, then grill it.

Comment

I am going to try it this year. Recipe I saw was trim it, slice thin, season with Montreal Steak seasoning wrap in foil and place on the grill off flame side for about an hour.

Comment

Cooked it for the first time this year. First time it was awesome, second time I think I over cooked it.

I rolled in olive oil and added a balsamic dry rub and grilled hot and fast both times. Sliced thin but didn't cut the white out

Comment

I ate the heart for the first time (I guess I should add that to the list of firsts for me and my boys on my thread). I cut the white parts out as best I could, washed it real good to get rid of coagulated blood, sliced it up, seasoned with salt pepper and garlic and put it on the grill. I didn't check the finished temp but would call it medium. I cooked some blackbuck tenderloin and backstrap the same time and the whitetail heart hands down was the best piece of meat! I'll be doing that again!

Comment

I love deer heart! I like to slice it to unroll, stuff with a special stuffing, reroll it, toe it, then put a sauce on it. Bake it and omg delicious! I got the recipe from a wild game cookbook from the 60s. Best recipes ever!

Comment

Working...
                                X