Food Plot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Question

My husband and I have been talking about planting a food plot for next year. We have about 70 acres in sterling/coke county and dont know anything about food plots. Any ideas on what kind to plant?!? And when the best time to do it is?!?

Thanks in advance

I have 3000 acres in sterling coke county and plant my bottoms with soybeans and peas in spring summer and winter wheat/snow peas in fall winter. about 20 acre bottom no water but usally have decent luck. this year has been tough.

Comment

Food Plot info

Check out www.qdma.com website. Go to Forum section & you will have hundreds of food plot threads to read.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

there is a plot made for places like west texas. its called Texas Ten. go down to ranch supply downtown in odessa. they have it. its about 70 bucks a bag, and works good. you need very very very little water. a buddy of mine planted a bunch of food plots with it on his place south of midland. some came up, some didnt, but it was a terrible drought. mix it with hay grazer, or winter wheat and watch what happens

Comment

Originally posted by bigcat24 View Post
            I have 3000 acres in sterling coke county and plant my bottoms with soybeans and peas in spring summer and winter wheat/snow peas in fall winter. about 20 acre bottom no water but usally have decent luck. this year has been tough.
            Where abouts is your ranch?!? Are you by the windmills?!?

Comment

yes we have 12 on us. we are 12 miles out of sterling city.

Comment

You can send a soil sample to Texas A&M for analysis to find out what the fertilizer & requirements are for your "spot." Cost $10 and takes less than a week to get back.

Comment

I have a buddy that has a ranch in coke county and they have great success with a barley field

Comment

Originally posted by bigcat24 View Post
                    yes we have 12 on us. we are 12 miles out of sterling city.
                    we are about 12 miles out as well! ours is the cattle guard right before you get to the coke county line. there is the cattle guard and then 2 calechie (sp?) roads. one of them is ours and i think the other was put in to get to the windmills. my hubby seems to think that you may be directly behind us.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                      You can send a soil sample to Texas A&M for analysis to find out what the fertilizer & requirements are for your "spot." Cost $10 and takes less than a week to get back.
                      Yeppers...it'll save you money, time and frustration

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Yeppers...it'll save you money, time and frustration
                        For sure on the money. My little plot area had a pH of 8.0 and needed almost no fertilizer.

Comment

we planted whitetail institute extreme on out lease this year and it has came up really good. It is for areas that get less than 15inches of rain a year. its pretty expensive but has been worth it so far

Comment

wheat or oats is all you need. when it freezes, deer look for whatever is green.

Comment

Wheat and oats

X2

Comment

Working...
                              X