anybody ever seen a mature antlerless buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot a mature (4 yr old), big bodied buck this weekend with no horns. I cut the hide open on his forehead and there were no bases on the skull so I don't believe he had ever grown them. I thought that he was possibly neutered somehow and had lost the hormones to grown horns and the desire to procreate. However when I cleaned him his equipment was complete and his hocks were stained and stinky, so I believe he was at least wanting to. I have to doubt that he woud get first crack at many does as he had no headgear to battle with but who knows.

I have read/seen pictures of antlered does and have killed a couple bucks that never shed their velvet so I know their hormones can do strange things.

Just curious if anybody else has ever seen anything like this before?

never seen or heard of anything like that. which tag did you put on him?? technically it would be antlerless right? and you saved your antlered tag for the real deal. wish you could post pics.

Comment

Never seen or even heard about anything like that. I hope you used the antlerless tag!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcdawg1 View Post
        I shot a mature (4 yr old), big bodied buck this weekend with no horns. I cut the hide open on his forehead and there were no bases on the skull so I don't believe he had ever grown them. I thought that he was possibly neutered somehow and had lost the hormones to grown horns and the desire to procreate. However when I cleaned him his equipment was complete and his hocks were stained and stinky, so I believe he was at least wanting to. I have to doubt that he woud get first crack at many does as he had no headgear to battle with but who knows.

I have read/seen pictures of antlered does and have killed a couple bucks that never shed their velvet so I know their hormones can do strange things.

Just curious if anybody else has ever seen anything like this before?
        where are the pix?

Comment

My dad killed one 3 years ago in Fredericksburg. All the equipment but no antlers

Comment

heyyyyyyyyy
            Attached Files

Comment

I shot one in Kerr County once that I thought was a big doe, but ended up having testicles. I tagged as a doe because there was no hardened antler protruding through the skin. This deer was also missing the hind leg below it's knee.
              Was with my Dad when he shot one in Bexar County in the 70's, but it had been neutered and also ended up having a metal band in it's ear with no markings. We assumed this one had gotten caught in a fence and maybe raised as a pet?? There was no way to see the tag it was simply a bare rusted metal band. This was a big son of a gun! He tagged as a doe because no hardened antler.

Sorry no pics of either....

Comment

this is the first time i have ever heard of this...good thing you were able to get him out of the herd.... i did have a friend that took a ten point doe a couple of yrs ago though...that was really wierd..i didnt believe him til i talked to his family

Comment

It must be something about that area. I shot one like that about midway between Fredericksburg and Mason a number of years ago. The meat was a dark burgundy color and he had a hoss of a body on him. I guess I should say "she" because it was tagged as an antlerless. It makes me wonder about that Llano river water?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuey View Post
                    heyyyyyyyyy
                    LMFAO

That's hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Swooshski View Post
                      It must be something about that area. I shot one like that about midway between Fredericksburg and Mason a number of years ago. The meat was a dark burgundy color and he had a hoss of a body on him. I guess I should say "she" because it was tagged as an antlerless. It makes me wonder about that Llano river water?
                      Ok I've hunted on the LLano river just outside of Castell for 20 years and I have never seen that. But I would love to shoot one.

Comment

Didn't take any LDP's but I do have him on trail cam, will post the pics when I get home this evening.

We are located midway between Fredericksburg and Harper. And yes if that is a genetic trait that can be passed on I truly hope he was not successful in his rutting behavior.

Comment

I bet he was embarrassed come October.....

Comment

Originally posted by Slingblade View Post
                            Ok I've hunted on the LLano river just outside of Castell for 20 years and I have never seen that. But I would love to shoot one.
                            Then we weren't far from each other. I hunted around there for 15 years. I also killed several bucks that were missing some equipment but had developed multi-pointed antlers that never lost velvet (one was a nice wide & heavy 8-pt). All of which were unusually big bodied deer for that area. Maybe genetics, maybe due to population vs food in that area, maybe inbreeding, and maybe just bad luck jumping rusty barbed wire fences....? I hope you get to check one out this year .... up close. Good luck.

Comment

<-------------

It's not all that uncommon.

Comment

Working...
                              X