Gun safe recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    See you're out in Huffman... do yourself a favor and go to Lone Star Safes on 1960 just West of 45... Let those folks show you the difference between a real safe and a residential security container (often referred to as a "safe")... a real safe can be judged somewhat by its weight... a 50 gun safe will weigh close to 5,000 pounds maybe more! Since you're building a new home, if you are not too far along, visit these folks and look at their Graffunder safes and vaults... All these Canon's Liberty's, Browning's, etc, etc. are RSC's NOT safes. Now all you may want is an RSC, but you owe it to yourself to learn the difference. Check out www.lonestargunsafes.com

We are building in Crosby so I'll have to go check these guys out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      if you think you needs 50 gun safe, buy a 100 gun safe

an advertised 50 GS will probably hold 25-30 scoped rifles

Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
        Noted.
        I have 20 guns in one side of my 62 gun safe and it is completely full to the point they are banging against each other. I would say bet on 1/3 of the listed capacity. If I was building, I would go with a walk in vault and not look back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just sayin' Price reduced to $4500

Comment

I have 2 5000# safes that I currently use. One is 7ft high by 5ft wide. I also have a fire door that I plan to one day build a vault like room to mount that door on. As far as the safes go they did not start as gun safes. I gutted them and built the inside and felted it. The only thing I have left is to make a hole for electricity for lights and dehumidifier

Comment

Originally posted by CP121 View Post

Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks!

Comment

Yessir, I know we're not close but if interested I can work with you on getting it moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  We've had a bunch of these discussions...I'm a fan of AMSEC B&F series.

I did a quick search and came up with "some people like cannon, some think they are garbage" but it was on my phone so may not have been the best search. I'll look into those brands, thanks.

Comment

If you're worried about theft, most brands will work for keeping petty theifs out. But if you're looking for fire protection you will have to shell out more for Fort Knox, or high end Browning...not the cheap model they sell in big box stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                      I did a quick search and came up with "some people like cannon, some think they are garbage" but it was on my phone so may not have been the best search. I'll look into those brands, thanks.
                      American Securities makes many of the safes that others stamp their name on...the burglary & Fire are top notch. They are the only company I know that even offers a UL Rated TL30 safe.

I'm too in the market for another...my 3rd. I cannot intermingle my biz guns with my personal & did not buy the biggest they had many years ago. I agree with the others, if you can swing it build a vault. If you can't buy the biggest dang one you can.

Comment

Walk in vault

Comment

I think you really need to look at a budget before anything else. You can buy a Liberty fatboy for $2k or an Amsec BF7250 for $4500. They are comparable in size but way different on price.

I ended up with an Amsec BF7250 and it weighs 2000lbs. I would have just bought a true commercial safe but my house is on pier and beam and putting a 5000lb safe on it wasnt going to happen and I didnt want it in the garage. If you can get a 5000lb safe, Id check into World Wide Safes. They sell a 72x50 exterior dimensions and its a little cheaper. It is a TL15 safe. The stuff at most big box stores will try and slow someone down, but if its not bolted down, they will pry right open. Watch videos on youtube.

Sturdy makes a nice safe as well, but its ugly

Comment

Lots of good advice here on the different types of safes. I would suggest you educate your self on what type of safe you need and where it will be placed as well as a honest budget that you have allocated for it.
                            There is a lot of good info on YouTube and the internet.

Comment

I've been looking at the Iron Works safes made by Rhino. They look cool for my trophy room and seen to be built well. Any one know anything about them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                                Lots of good advice here on the different types of safes. I would suggest you educate your self on what type of safe you need and where it will be placed as well as a honest budget that you have allocated for it.
                                There is a lot of good info on YouTube and the internet.

Good call on YouTube. I worry some of these 5k pounders are a little heavy for a residential foundation. We are pouring slab today so maybe I'll ask the builder his opinion. For budget, I am not worried about the price point as much as the value of what you are getting. To me, fire protection is the largest concern and then the ability to withstand a burglar. The safe will be bolted to slab and will have shelving around it, uppers and lowers, to limit access to the rear of it.

I like the idea of a walk in with safe door and using double drywall for fireproofing and plate or concrete on the walls/ceiling. Still need to draft this up and see how to bring hvac and power, I wouldn't want to deal with that large a space and humidity

Comment

Working...
                                X