Hunting Windy Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Windy Days

It is supposed to be a little breezy in the morning, is anyone hunting? I had a spike come in this evening after the front blew in, and man was he jumpy. A bird scared him off! My best guess is that the wind was what made him so nervous, does this sound normal, or was he just a scaredy-cat?

Wind will make them jumpy because in decreases their sight and hearing senses. It also covers up our movement and noises too. You can't kill them sleeping in.

Comment

It was windy as heck tonight and I got this

Comment

I like it a windy. helps in masking your movement. try the dirt scent wafers, seems to work for me in masking my scent well.

Comment

I will be in the stand again in the morning, and tomorrow afternoon. I hope the spike comes ALL of the way in to the feeder this time!

Comment

Congrats Tim! that is a nice one! I've been hunting on Ft. Hood, and until this evening, I had not seen a deer from the stand at all. I was beginning to think that there weren't any deer out there! Tomorrow evening I am going to hunt at our other place, where I had a BIG 8 pt under my feeder on opening weekend. Hopefully he will be back!

Comment

I had about six deer (maybe more, they were back in the brush) coming in this evening, but like you said, the wind was really sucky. They came in outside of my scent stream, so I thought I would be okay. Well, two does popped out of the brush first and were acting really skittish. They hung around for about 30 seconds and bolted. I guess it was swirling enough that they caught a whiff of me.

Comment

Waiting for my son to get here about 5:15 and we will be on stand this AM. The deer will be on guard with the wind like it is. Close shots only if any are taken this morning.

Comment

Can't Kill that deer in your living room.

Comment

Great buck Tim. What was the spread on that one? I shot one this morning that looks similar. What part of the state did you get him?

Comment

A nice wind, not too strong, is really good for stalking. Swirly sux.

Comment

I hunt in Ft Mckavett, and its usually windy there. Believe it or not, the deer seem to be on edge more when there isn't a bit of wind.

Comment

Working...
                        X