Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Texas rut predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas rut predictions

Ok fellas, what is your belief on this? Do you believe it hinges on the moon cycle or do you think that there are other factors that play out? I for one, do not believe that the lunar cycle has any bearing on when the ruts happens. Only that the availible light from the full moon helps us see what is going on in the woods. Let's hear your take on this? Also, when do you think rut/pre-rut will begin? Annnddddddd go!

The rut will be the same time this year as it has in the past for me. The difference in some areas will be with buck age structure and then buck to doe ratio as to how intense of a rut you see.

Comment

I have a trail cam pick of a buck breeding a doe from mid last month in Victoria Co. I will try and post it this evening.

Comment

Rut beginning totally depends on the daylight period. That is what triggers it.

Comment

Its purely based on photoperiod. That is what makes the does cycle. Factors such as weather, moon phase, and temperature only make them more less active, which is what we as hunters notice.

Beat me to it Matt C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag_Attack View Post
            Its purely based on photoperiod. That is what makes the does cycle. Factors such as weather, moon phase, and temperature only make them more less active, which is what we as hunters notice.

Beat me to it Matt C.
            yep... its funny how every year you will have people, many on here, that claim our deer never rutted....or we didnt have a rut this year etc.... And every late spring fawns start dropping.

Comment

Peak activity down where we hunt in Encinal pretty much happens within the same two week window every year. I save my vacation for that time!

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                Peak activity down where we hunt in Encinal pretty much happens within the same two week window every year. I save my vacation for that time!
                Same in Coleman county. Peaks around the 15-17th. It's good from about the 10th-20th

Comment

The deer on Aransas Wildlife Refuge and the Avery Island subspecies of whitetail are already rutting. I live about 40-45 miles NW of the AWR and the deer here do not rut till mid November. When I hunted in Stonewall and Kent county the rut was the same there as it is here where I live. I can drive 40 miles west to my place in Live Oak county and the rut does not start till mid December. I can drive 120 miles to the north in the northeastern part of Kendall County and the rut starts there around October 21st. I found fawns on the ground there every year in late April when I managed a large ranch there. Photoperiod triggers most ruts but some ruts start different.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    yep... its funny how every year you will have people, many on here, that claim our deer never rutted....or we didnt have a rut this year etc.... And every late spring fawns start dropping.
                    you can't be serious?!?!

Comment

Kinda funny like d Phillips said. If you hunt the coastal areas like Refugio or the austwell area the rut should be happening in a couple weeks. I've seen around the live oak area happen after thanksgiving. Further on south it tends to happen around the second week of December. Most will begin to see the same pattern year after year. It's amazing how different parts of the state witness different peaks. And that can be just down the county lines offering a different terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        So the shorter days are what's triggering it? I agree all those other factors just increase or decrease the amount of movement we actually see. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by Rage em View Post
                          So the shorter days are what's triggering it? I agree all those other factors just increase or decrease the amount of movement we actually see. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen
                          I think shorter days trigger it. But like mentioned earlier it vary's in different parts of the state. In Burnet/Llano Cntys you will start seeing younger bucks chasing between 2nd-3rd week in Oct and really pick up right after the first of Nov all the way till Thanksgiving. See a 2nd rut right around Christmas .Always the same . This link is pretty good.

Last edited by BrandonA; 09-28-2016, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I was reading that earlier today, which made me want to ask this question. Very good info.

Comment

The deer here where I live, Calhoun County, right on Matagorda Bay have been rutting for 2 weeks. I've seen them rut as early as Labor Day down here.

Comment

Working...
                              X