This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFB 2016 Week 5 Thread

Busy weekend, sorry I didn't get to hang with y'all.

We're starting to gain a little clarity on how the season might shake out. Some traditional "blue bloods" - ND, USC, LSU, Georgia, OK - that were predicted to do well are already hemorrhaging.

Ags pulled away late, but I have some new concerns with both corners (Harvey drew too many penalties and I think Willis may have been exposed as just not being very good.) I hope I'm wrong.

The D line was STOUT! The ends didn't get many sacks, but put good pressure on the QB - but he still made plays. The tackles were dominant against the run. Those couple of goal line stands were impressive, even with the PI penalties that essentially negated their effort. Everybody knows Mack, but Kingsley Keke is a beast in the middle.

Offensively, I think we're going to have to realize that maybe Knight just isn't a really accurate passer, and hope the plays he makes with his legs will offset that. It did on Saturday night. The running game with Ford, Knight and Williams continues to be outstanding. Williams is the break-away threat and seems to be the closer, but credit Ford with softening up the D early with physical runs. The Oline has been better than expected, especially in run blocking.

SC could be a potential "trap" game this weekend. I think Ags will look sluggish early, but pull away in the second half (which seems to be their MO anyway).

Everybody wants to anoint Ags as the greatest challenge to knock off Bama, but UT and Ol Miss both look strong, and LSU becomes a dangerous wild card.

My biggest takeaway from Saturday's game is what a tough, solid quarterback Austin Allen is! He made accurate passes on the run - to either side - and stood in to take hits when you know he was already hurting from earlier hits. The kid didn't flinch. He's going to win some big ballgames for Arky. How many years of eligibility does he have left?
    My Flickr Photos

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Busy weekend, sorry I didn't get to hang with y'all.

We're starting to gain a little clarity on how the season might shake out. Some traditional "blue bloods" - ND, USC, LSU, Georgia, OK - that were predicted to do well are already hemorrhaging.

Ags pulled away late, but I have some new concerns with both corners (Harvey drew too many penalties and I think Willis may have been exposed as just not being very good.) I hope I'm wrong.

The D line was STOUT! The ends didn't get many sacks, but put good pressure on the QB - but he still made plays. The tackles were dominant against the run. Those couple of goal line stands were impressive, even with the PI penalties that essentially negated their effort. Everybody knows Mack, but Kingsley Keke is a beast in the middle.

Offensively, I think we're going to have to realize that maybe Knight just isn't a really accurate passer, and hope the plays he makes with his legs will offset that. It did on Saturday night. The running game with Ford, Knight and Williams continues to be outstanding. Williams is the break-away threat and seems to be the closer, but credit Ford with softening up the D early with physical runs. The Oline has been better than expected, especially in run blocking.

SC could be a potential "trap" game this weekend. I think Ags will look sluggish early, but pull away in the second half (which seems to be their MO anyway).

Everybody wants to anoint Ags as the greatest challenge to knock off Bama, but UT and Ol Miss both look strong, and LSU becomes a dangerous wild card.

My biggest takeaway from Saturday's game is what a tough, solid quarterback Austin Allen is! He made accurate passes on the run - to either side - and stood in to take hits when you know he was already hurting from earlier hits. The kid didn't flinch. He's going to win some big ballgames for Arky. How many years of eligibility does he have left?
    Tennessee is over sold in a weak division. Bama is Bama. Ole miss is tough........if they play 60 minutes.

Glad UT back in action this week. Hope SB can go with the busted rib but have a feeling it will hinder him rest of the year.

Comment

Gig 'Em!!

Comment

I was very impressed with our run game and defense, the passing game was not great and that was both on Knight and the WRs, there were several passes that I saw that were dropped that would have been good gains and some confidence/momentum builders. Hope we can get some dinged up guys healthy and keep things moving in the correct direction!

Comment

Austin Allen is a Junior.

Bright side is Knight is playing mistake free football, and if he can improve his accuracy just slightly we are a dangerous game for anyone.

USCe is terrible. We should be able to rest a few starters whose dinged up.

Comment

Oh, and then there's that LSU thing...

As I said last year, firing a coach with a .770 winning percentage has the feel of being one of those "be-careful-what-you-wish-for" type things. My Ags experienced it after firing Slocum (and hiring the "hot" name at the time - Fran - away from Bama (you're welcome!)) It happened to UT when they fired Phil Fulmer (they're still trying to come out of it.) Hey Georgia fans, remember Mark Richt? How is he doing down in Miami? Michigan after Carr. Nebraska after Solich.

LSU is a marquee program, but there's no doubt that programs as big or bigger than LSU have sufferered long, unintended consequences after firing solid, consistent head coaches. Here's hoping Tiger fans soon long for the glory days of Les Miles!
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

There were several times when Knight kept running and didn't have to, then throwing. Since that isn't a strong attribute, he should set his feet and fire away; He's more accurate doing that....again, when time permits as it did against Arky.

Comment

As I said last year, firing a coach with a .770 winning percentage has the feel of being one of those "be-careful-what-you-wish-for" type things. My Ags experienced it after firing Slocum (and hiring the "hot" name at the time - Fran - away from Bama (you're welcome!)) It happened to UT when they fired Phil Fulmer (they're still trying to come out of it.) Hey Georgia fans, remember Mark Richt? How is he doing down in Miami? Michigan after Carr. Nebraska after Solich.

LSU is a marquee program, but there's no doubt that programs as big or bigger than LSU have sufferered long, unintended consequences after firing solid, consistent head coaches. Here's hoping Tiger fans soon long for the glory days of Les Miles!
                Yep. Almost inevitable after an icon unless you force the guy out before things slide too far.

Comment

Uh oh, they started another thread for LSU coaching.

LMAO.

Cleanup on aisle Around the Campfire.

Comment

As I said last year, firing a coach with a .770 winning percentage has the feel of being one of those "be-careful-what-you-wish-for" type things. My Ags experienced it after firing Slocum (and hiring the "hot" name at the time - Fran - away from Bama (you're welcome!)) It happened to UT when they fired Phil Fulmer (they're still trying to come out of it.) Hey Georgia fans, remember Mark Richt? How is he doing down in Miami? Michigan after Carr. Nebraska after Solich. Texas after Akers

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      I almost listed "tu after Brown!" Too soon?
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

As expected, the Pokes opened as a 3 point fav. for the 11:00 am kick in Stillwater. I'd expect it to be another shootout unless Texas simplifies the assignments for the secondary and they play man, letting the athletes do their thing. The pokes have struggled in the run game until this past weekend, running for 213 yards on 55 carries. I don't see them gaining that type of yardage this week, but were talking about the Texas defense here.

Two weeks off to prepare, I hope they're hungry for a W.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post

Two weeks off to prepare, I hope they're hungry for a W.
                          What's the story on Shane's ribs? Is there some fire with the smoke or is it one of those posturing things to keep OSU guessing?

Comment

CFB 2016 Week 5 Thread

Well my Ags more than doubled the point total I thought they would have against Arky. I think I am most surprised with the effectiveness of our run game. I knew the defense had some horses on the front line and in the back end. I didn't see the OL getting off to this good of a start. They were not good at all last year. Jim Turner has they mauling up front.

Let's don't take USCe lightly and get some players healthy. The UT game next week is setting up to be a good one. Maybe a Gameday appearance at Kyle Field on Oct 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Michael might be right about LSU regretting the firing of a .770-winning-percentage coach, but performance over the past few years -- especially versus SEC teams -- has dipped considerably. And the inability to develop even decent quarterbacks lately has been frustrating, at least, to the fan base. Les has been a likable guy and loyal -- probably to a fault -- to his players and coaches. Sticking with Cam Cameron may have cost him, and they had a final opportunity to innovate this year after last year's near-canning. It was somewhat ironic that career-long clock management issues cost a win against Auburn and was the final death knell. It is time for someone else to captain LSU's boatload of talent.

Comment

Working...
                              X