No announcement yet.

Not a dove guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy the dove opener. I usually don't go more than a handful of times, but it is fun to get together and shoot a little!

It takes a lot more to get ready for dove hunting than it does deer hunting though. (If you don't have a ready-made spot).

Dove hunting: Spray the field, disc the field, rake it down, scatter seed, scatter seed, scatter seed, shoot, it's over.

Deer hunting: go to the woods, plop down/climb up, shoot, it's over.

Comment

An excuse to get to the lease a month early....I'll take it. Seriously, I'm terrible with the shotgun but it's still a lot of fun... as long as the birds are flying in the opposite side of Zach (8pointer)!!

Comment

My goodness, some keyboard attitudes are sure getting rank around here. Live and let live folks. I'm not a lease hunter, a hog-dogger, a safari guy, a serious fisherman, or a knife builder; and yet I don't have a need to bash the numerous others who enjoy all of that stuff.

I like dove hunting, but I'm not fanatic. Even though dove season doesn't hold a real special place for me, I, for one, am ecstatic about all the dove threads because it signals that time of the TBH cycle were the conversations turn back to hunting instead of all of the silly stuff that seemingly takes over the green screen during the summer lull.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          There it is...
          You do know he is the only person on TBH qualified to call himself a bow hunter
          The rest of the site are just larken dreamers

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            You do know he is the only person on TBH qualified to call himself a bow hunter
            The rest of the site are just larken dreamers
            That is 100% false

You guys love to get your panties in a wad on here. I said it is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Then you've probly never been on a bad *** dove hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is kinda what I was thinking.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                That is 100% false

You also premised It with the only people who love dove hunting are the people who cant or suk at deer huntin.
                You said last year that if someone wouldn't take a quartering away shot they didnt need to call themselves a bow hunter and should not go hunting. You m sure if i really gave a crap i could come up with plenty of examples of you demeaning people around here
                Last edited by flywise; 08-30-2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Lol. Can you deny any of my points?? I'm not saying I'm a good deer hunter because I don't dove hunt. And I can't shoot a shotgun for crap, so not sure how I'm being arrogant. Im not saying it isn't fun just saying there isn't much to it. Tell me of all the hours you spend patterning the birds, shooting your shotgun or going out and setting up your dove blind. The biggest decision a dove hunter makes is if he is gonna go with his yeti or Rtic for the weekend.

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  "Hunting" doves takes zero skill, that much is true. Killing a one box limit? That is a different story. Another good thing about dove hunting is that it brings people into the field that otherwise have little interest in hunting. Being a deer hunter takes a commitment many are not willing to make. I know quite a few guys who's entire hunting season consists of 2-3 afternoons in the dove field. It is also, IMO the best way to introduce a newbie to hunting. There is lots of action and the social aspect makes it a great first outdoor experience.

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                  Dove hunting is something I do while I wait on deer season.

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  It's not about the killn...it's about the chilln...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm not denying any of this. And as soon as my kiddos are big enough to go I will probably take them. I'm just agreeing with the op that dove hunting just doesn't do it for me.

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                  I can't imagine someone not enjoying a nice dove hunt with friends and family, I don't recall missing an opening day in over 30 years.

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  I with you on that one. I have fun once or twice and thats it and I couldn't care less if its the first day or not.

Umm I can drink while deer hunting too and will when that time comes this year. I can also shoot my bow at a deer much better than a shotgun at a dove.

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                  It marks the begnning of several months of hunting! It should be a holiday in Texas as far as I'm concerned But go ahead and get your *** on a charter boat and go fishing. As far as me and my crew....we will be celebrating another year of hunting seasons to come!

Lol y'all have fun chasing those little birds and I'll be in Colorado chasing elk and mule deer.

That is 100% false

You also premised it being fun with the only people who love dove hunting are the people who cant or suk at deer huntin.

You said last year that if someone wouldn't take a quartering away shot they didnt need to call themselves a bow hunter and should not go hunting. You m sure if i really gave a crap i could come up with plenty of examples of you demeaning people around here

Pod cast that **** dude!

Drops mic [emoji16]

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                    good for u

Rub you the wrong way? red snapper taste better than dove, but for the record I'll be planting food plot for bow opener make you feel better?

Comment

You also premised it being fun with the only people who love dove hunting are the people who cant or suk at deer huntin.

Guess I should have been clearer. The guys who only bird hunt and don't like to deer hunt. And I stand behind my quartering away comment. I have shot more animals quartering away than broadside. And if you think back that is the shot guys were taught to take. You bust the diaphragm, and both lungs. The Animal doesn't run far. Saying that is a bad shot is stupid. But I guess I need to get better about not pointing out the stupid **** I see on here.

Comment

Guess I should have been clearer. The guys who only bird hunt and don't like to deer hunt. And I stand behind my quartering away comment. I have shot more animals quartering away than broadside. And if you think back that is the shot guys were taught to take. You bust the diaphragm, and both lungs. The Animal doesn't run far. Saying that is a bad shot is stupid. But I guess I need to get better about not pointing out the stupid **** I see on here.

I love quarting shots but to tell folks they should quit bowhunting because they dont is what rubs people the wrong way.

Comment

But hey maybe dove season will bring some blown of steam and some joy back to the green screen. This time of year TBH needs a Xanax I'm guilty too

Comment

I love quarting shots but to tell folks they should quit bowhunting because they dont is what rubs people the wrong way.

I agree. There have been many times I could word things differently. I'm sure there will be more.

Comment

I agree. There have been many times I could word things differently. I'm sure there will be more.

Ditto myself

Comment

I take quartering away shots on dove all the time, i even take the old dreaded quartering towards me shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X