Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
    Ok, let's get some predictions on here

Ags / UCLA - 27-20 Ags
    Texas / ND - 31-17 ND
    Bama / USC - 31-20 Bama
    LSU / Wisc - 27-13 LSU
    FSU / Ole Miss - 30-24 - FSU
    OU / Houston - 34-24 OU

I feel you are pretty close to spot on with your predictions. Only one I think needs to be switched is Ole Miss squeaking by with a win.

BTHO UCLA!

Comment

Go Gators.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        Seeing the way warren@tsarinc.com ran the ball late last year and to know he isn't going to be alone back there has to be promising. Having a 247# back helps with oline issues. Especially since he has some speed. If they compete with ND it should be a good sign to come in the big 12 for Texas. Texas and OU are built differently than the rest. Will Gilbert ground and pound is the question.
        Yes and there is quite a bit of tape with 2 TE sets/power run. All along I figured he would install his veer-n-shoot, but you new with the Big backs they have they would deplore a power run package.

It really doesn't matter who starts at QB, the running game will be the bread and butter of this offense! Foreman at 240, Warren at 247ish and Porter as the change of pace/shifty back and they still have Kirk Johnson and Houston to throw in the mix.

Side note on Ehlinger:

Quick update on Texas 2017 QB commit Sam Ehlinger. He met with doctors Monday and will have surgery Tuesday to repair the torn meniscus in his left knee. He'll probably be out 3-4 weeks with his return perhaps in time for Westlake's game at Vandergrift on Sept. 23.
        Last edited by Chad C; 08-30-2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

On the flip side, ND is playing a 2 QB system
          I am hoping that neither gets into a rhythm and they both press trying to "win' the job. I heard a ND guy on the radio yesterday that said both QB's are not happy they are going with the 2 QB system as both think they should be the starter. I never like the 2 QB system unless its an 18 Wheeler / Bell Dozer type package that is coming in as the 2nd QB.
          Last edited by Heath; 08-30-2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
            Yes and there is quite a bit of tape with 2 TE sets/power run. All along I figured he would install his veer-n-shoot, but you new with the Big backs they have they would deplore a power run package.

It really doesn't matter who starts at QB, the running game will be the bread and butter of this offense! Foreman at 240, Warren at 247ish and Porter as the change of pace/shifty back and they still have Kirk Johnson and Houston to throw in the mix.

Side note on Ehlinger:

Quick update on Texas 2017 QB commit Sam Ehlinger. He met with doctors Monday and will have surgery Tuesday to repair the torn meniscus in his left knee. He'll probably be out 3-4 weeks with his return perhaps in time for Westlake's game at Vandergrift on Sept. 23.
            I also think you will see Swoopes take off and run more out of the QB position. I think late scrambling QB runs are part of keeping the offense on the field and getting 1st downs in the spread offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
              I also think you will see Swoopes take off and run more out of the QB position. I think late scrambling QB runs are part of keeping the offense on the field and getting 1st downs in the spread offense.
              Agreed.
              Last edited by Chad C; 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Side note on Ehlinger:

Here's my problem with that theory. The data you posted above shows that in the past 4 years Gilbert has gone 65 / 35 pass to run. Is he now all of a sudden going to change his philosophy? I thought they wanted to bring in a spread up tempo attack, but the personnel is for a power run game? How is that going to work?

Comment

Here's my problem with that theory. The data you posted above shows that in the past 4 years Gilbert has gone 65 / 35 pass to run. Is he now all of a sudden going to change his philosophy? I thought they wanted to bring in a spread up tempo attack, but the personnel is for a power run game? How is that going to work?
                  His philosophy won't change, they simply have the ability "theoretically speaking" to run the ball better with the current players on the roster. It's still going to be an up tempo veer-n-shoot offense.

Since the offense is the Baylor offense designed and deplored by Art Briles with Gilbert's own touches and Baylor had better players than any of Gilbert's previous stops, I'll introduce their offense as an example.

2015 389 pass attempts, 714 carries, 2014 519 pass attempts, 619 carries and 2013 448 pass attempts with 626 carries.

Ohio State is more of a power run with DT QB offense and they run the ball at a similar ratio.
                  325p/567c, 409p/690c and 368p/635c
                  Last edited by Chad C; 08-30-2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

His philosophy won't change, they simply have the ability "theoretically speaking" to run the ball better with the current players on the roster. It's still going to be an up tempo veer-n-shoot offense.

Since the offense is the Baylor offense designed and deplored by Art Briles with Gilbert's own touches and Baylor had better players than any of Gilbert's previous stops, I'll introduce their offense as an example.

2015 389 pass attempts, 714 carries, 2014 519 pass attempts, 619 carries and 2013 448 pass attempts with 626 carries.
                    Whoops, see below

Comment

So he should implement more 2 back sets, TE, etc type looks? I forgot what those even look like after our past few years

Comment

That data shows the yards not the % of plays. From reading about the Briles Offense, it wants to be 65 run / 35 pass.

I do not think its a traditional power run game type of system they will run. I think they will spread people out and use angles to attack the run. I do think they may get in some two TE, 18 wheeler type sets with Swoopes from time to time. This OL is not good enough yet to put its hand in the ground and go knock people off the ball.

Comment

That data shows the yards not the % of plays. From reading about the Briles Offense, it wants to be 65 run / 35 pass.

I do not think its a traditional power run game type of system they will run. I think they will spread people out and use angles to attack the run. I do think they may get in some two TE, 18 wheeler type sets with Swoopes from time to time. This OL is not good enough yet to put its hand in the ground and go knock people off the ball.
                          I wish we had some 2 TE sets, but we don't even have 2 scholarship TE's on the roster

Comment

So he should implement more 2 back sets, TE, etc type looks? I forgot what those even look like after our past few years
                            Yes

Comment

I wish we had some 2 TE sets, but we don't even have 2 scholarship TE's on the roster
                              Texas doesn't have TE's, we make them from other positions.

How is the VTech transfer looking at TE?

Comment

Texas doesn't have TE's, we make them from other positions.

How is the VTech transfer looking at TE?
                                lol, Well, at least Blu was a TE/DE in HS. Now they've been working another DE at TE or he has moved to the position in Vasser.

Comment

Working...
                                X