Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

S&W M&P Shield.....What caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45ACP Always..."most of the time, lol!"

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
    James Yeager said it best. If a 9 won't do the job get a 45. If a 45 won't do the job, you need a rifle.

He has a long video about cartridge selection on YouTube. Pretty interesting and is the persepctive of someone who runs 10's of thousands of rounds a year.
    If you are buying a handgun for self defense, IMO from experience, a 45 is the best! Do your research, talk to those who have been in "harm's way," then decide. I'm NOT referring to situations where you need a "long reach." But, then again I'm one who smiles at those who talk about 50 yard shots with a handgun? I don't hunt with a handgun, so this is a very different scenario when discussing close range defense.

Without going into all the ballistics, etc., a slower moving large round will do much more extensive "Knock down" damage vs. the faster calibers from most reviews? If a potential assailant is coming at me, I want the 1st round, if I miss center mass to take their Arm or Leg off!

At least with my old style training, my intention is to TOTALLY eliminate the immediate threat. Bam, down and threat gone. If it takes another round, so be it but the damage is done??

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
      If you are buying a handgun for self defense, IMO from experience, a 45 is the best! Do your research, talk to those who have been in "harm's way," then decide. I'm NOT referring to situations where you need a "long reach." But, then again I'm one who smiles at those who talk about 50 yard shots with a handgun? I don't hunt with a handgun, so this is a very different scenario when discussing close range defense.

Without going into all the ballistics, etc., a slower moving large round will do much more extensive "Knock down" damage vs. the faster calibers from most reviews? If a potential assailant is coming at me, I want the 1st round, if I miss center mass to take their Arm or Leg off!

At least with my old style training, my intention is to TOTALLY eliminate the immediate threat. Bam, down and threat gone. If it takes another round, so be it but the damage is done??
      4" .500S&W.....problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post

So, do you like the .45 round?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          4" .500S&W.....problem solved.
          And hope the pressure knocks one of you down.

Comment

9mm all day, every day, loaded with HSTs'. ( shield owner here ) . Also owned a 40. Personally, I like a 9 better for shootability and control. You already have a 9, just buy more ammo in the same caliber [emoji106]

Comment

Wow. This one blew up quick!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

I own 9's, .40's and even a trusty, rusty 1911.

My intent wasn't to start a great debate on the terminal ballistics of 9 vs. 40, recoil and rapid target acquisition. I just wanted some feedback from owners.

I've studied terminal ballistics, wound channels, theory of temporizing cavitation and everything else that goes with it. I even taught it in Paramedic courses and PHTLS. And I'm probably one of the few out of many here that has been down the 2-way firing range. For me the terminal ballistics between 9 & 40 is negligible, it all comes down to preference. And unfortunately for me, I prefer both.

But this has turned into a pretty good discussion! [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by jesterdoc View Post

My intent wasn't to start a great debate on the terminal ballistics of 9 vs. 40, recoil and rapid target acquisition. I just wanted some feedback from owners.

I've studied terminal ballistics, wound channels, theory of temporizing cavitation and everything else that goes with it. I even taught it in Paramedic courses and PHTLS. And I'm probably one of the few out of many here that has been down the 2-way firing range. For me the terminal ballistics between 9 & 40 is negligible, it all comes down to preference. And unfortunately for me, I prefer both.

With all that experience, you already know the answer then... Get the 9!

Comment

Originally posted by jesterdoc View Post

Now what a minute! What did you start this thread for?

Comment

I have a Shield 9mm. The small frame is better suited for the 9 vs. the .40.

Comment

I have the performance center version 9mm, I have put several hundred rounds thru it and am very happy. Sights alone are worth the extra $50. Has a pretty good trigger as well. dont really notice the port flash.

Comment

I have a .40 and live it. Wife has the same.

Comment

.45 because shooting more than once is silly.

Comment

I have the shield in a 9 and I wouldn't trade it for a .40

Comment

Y'all are funny!

I think I'm going to get the 9. With 147 gr. ammo at 7 yards I bet I'll be ok.

Comment

I do like a 40 but I got my shield in the 9 for more round capacity. I actually love the way it handles and shoots

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X