OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    I found the perfect area to move my stand...Cypresswood Dr. between TC Jester and Kuykendahl (anyone familiar with north Houston/Spring will know this area). I've seen more deer along that stretch of road in the last 2 weeks than I have at my lease in the last month.
    I feel the same way! If you move yours, I'll move mine to Woodland Hills Dr, between FM 1960 and Atascocita Road.

Hunting off the South Firelane in Segno, TX

Comment

Yesterday afternoon started off pretty good, had 14 deer in the back yard food plot and more headed in from across the pasture. Then around 5:00 neighbor does a drive by down the fence line on his utv and every one of them high tailed it out of there. Had 10 or so of my regulars from late summer in that group so they are coming home. Now hoping a few of the big boys made it and start showing back up.

Comment

I found the perfect area to move my stand...Cypresswood Dr. between TC Jester and Kuykendahl (anyone familiar with north Houston/Spring will know this area). I've seen more deer along that stretch of road in the last 2 weeks than I have at my lease in the last month.
        Ha!! Should have seen the deer before TC jester was put all the way through. Then again theres a place south of 60 on Kuykendahl that's got some monsters. Ive got set of horns off a buck with 5" bases that was killed by an F150 years ago on stuebner (legally tagged via state tag from the GW).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Ha!! Should have seen the deer before TC jester was put all the way through. Then again theres a place south of 60 on Kuykendahl that's got some monsters. Ive got set of horns off a buck with 5" bases that was killed by an F150 years ago on stuebner (legally tagged via state tag from the GW).
          Oh ya, definitely some gooduns in that area... yall see the 190 class buck that got ran over off 1960 by Northgate Subdivision. Few years back, but he was an absolute GIANT-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
            Oh ya, definitely some gooduns in that area... yall see the 190 class buck that got ran over off 1960 by Northgate Subdivision. Few years back, but he was an absolute GIANT-

Know that deer and the story. The buck Ive got was hit about 2 weeks after him. The area the 190 was coming from when he crossed is the area Im talking about south of 1960.

Comment

Yeah there's a few big blocks of land still untouched in that part of town... luckily the landowners have not sold out and many still run cows. Would be something to get on an Urban lease like that-

Comment

I didn't exactly go sit in the blind but watched out my back window at the house on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Saw a nice buck locked on a doe that was feeding in my corn pile. He was just staring a hole through her from back in the woods. Everywhere she went, he went. He wasn't dogging her but was definitely with her. I could have threaded the needle but I just wasn't mad enough at him to stand out there and clean a deer in the cold rain. Same 8 deer Saturday evening at the house and 3 Sunday morning and then saw a nice buck at about 2 pm on Sunday. I was walking out to the truck and saw him spook from back behind my feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                  Well the girlfriend got it done in fredricksburg! Her 1st buck!

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by FlightCancelled View Post
                    Well haven't posted it yet gonna write a thread up tonight but got it done Thanksgiving morning. Got lucky this year and family didn't want a smoked turkey so I was able to sneak away and boy did it pay off my biggest buck to date

Awesome deer Congrats

Comment

OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

I remember this deer pretty well but don't remember him being a 90's deer or close to it. That deer use to hang up on the wall at the beltway location if it still does.

And I'm wrong 188 5/8 as a 4 1/2 yr old dang!!!
                      Last edited by Cabela; 12-05-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabela View Post
                        I remember this deer pretty well but don't remember him being a 90's deer or close to it. That deer use to hang up on the wall at the beltway location if it still does.
                        He actually scored 188 5/8 B&C... a country club worker took the horns and sold them for $400. The game warden tracked them down, recovered the horns and the guy got some pretty hefty fines. They antlers now belong to TPWD-

Comment

Yeah there's a few big blocks of land still untouched in that part of town... luckily the landowners have not sold out and many still run cows. Would be something to get on an Urban lease like that-

I guy I worked with landed one of the pieces of land bowhunt only. I gave him an old bow in hopes of getting to hunt it. He shot a couple bucks over there and invited someone else. That invitee helped himself another day and ruined the whole thing. I ran into the fella who had it leased for cows while working a wreck on Ella. I asked about paying unlike the other guy. Unfortunately he had already been ruined

Originally posted by Cabela View Post

And I'm wrong 188 5/8 as a 4 1/2 yr old dang!!!

I went and found the article, apparently so did you. For anyone else

Comment

Roll around the Parkway from 45 to 59 right after daylight and check around all the retention ponds.

Comment

Anyone hunted Kansas before? I'm looking into trying next year but don't know anything about what, how, etc other than its a drawn hunt. Is it mostly public hunting, leased land or both? Things of that nature.

If someone give me a brief explanation on hunting there id appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                                Anyone hunted Kansas before? I'm looking into trying next year but don't know anything about what, how, etc other than its a drawn hunt. Is it mostly public hunting, leased land or both? Things of that nature.

If someone give me a brief explanation on hunting there id appreciate it.

PM DarkHorse on here. I am planning on making a trip one of these days and he gave me some great info about Kansas.

Comment

Working...
                                X