OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
    I'm waiting on the text. We'll be back in HouCo tomorrow all day again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I'm hoping so. Still getting Captain Hook every night at 7 in my corn pile too. Wish he would go on and show in daylight so we could end this.

Comment

Originally posted by Truckville View Post
      We are seeing an incredible amount of broken antlers this year in Hardin County. The boys have been fighting for sure. Some broke early in season, some before even bow season started, some just broke. There are a few that I'm glad broke so much. Gives them a fighting chance to make it to next year.
      Besides that one I have a 3yo 10 that's broke all to heck now. I want to find what the other one has been fighting with.

Comment

Been hunting (rifle) since Oct. 1 and have yet to kill a deer. Between the two places I hunt sightings are WAY down over last season and game cameras don't show the least bit of promise (no mature bucks and almost no does). To say I am a bit deflated would be a gross understatement. I just don't what changed from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
          Is there an open season on lady bugs? Good lord they are out by the millions! Anyways let the evening begin

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My wife just text me about the lady bugs.

Comment

Build a wall!!!

I freaked the kiddo out last night bc we got into a bunch of fire fly larvae. I guess I never noticed that those glow too, but we'll go with ghosts' eyes glowing from the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              Been hunting (rifle) since Oct. 1 and have yet to kill a deer. Between the two places I hunt sightings are WAY down over last season and game cameras don't show the least bit of promise (no mature bucks and almost no does). To say I am a bit deflated would be a gross understatement. I just don't what changed from last year.
              We're having the same problem in Segno, South Polk County. As far as cameras, I have a real nice stable of does, but none during the day. Even when there's no moon. There have been a few daytime shooter buck sightings, but they've been too fast or too far away. With my limited knowledge in wildlife biology, I can only guess that the change in our weather pattern (El Nino to La Nina) has been a big factor. Especially since so many of us in this region are experiencing the same issues.

Hunting off the South Firelane in Segno, TX

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                My wife just text me about the lady bugs.

We had this discussion last night after one guys stand was covered. I found this little nugget of info

In the United States, coccinellids (ladybugs) usually begin to appear indoors in the autumn when they leave their summer feeding sites in fields, forests, and yards and search out places to spend the winter. Typically, when temperatures warm to the mid-60s F (around 18*°C) in the late afternoon, following a period of cooler weather, they will swarm onto or into buildings illuminated by the sun. Swarms of coccinellids fly to buildings in September through November depending on location and weather conditions. Homes or other buildings near fields or woods are particularly prone to infestation.

Comment

^ including deer blinds

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a great hunt this morning... was doe hunting and had the perfect one at 15 yards for 20 minutes right in one of my two shooting lanes... just waiting on her to turn a little bit... she never did and when she did turn, it was to wall off without ever giving me a shot... Saw a bunch of deer...

Shot this hog... pinned her shoulders together and she was DRT...

Click image for larger version

Name:	161125-002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	24473464

Click image for larger version

Name:	161125-005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	24473465

Comment

Congrats on the pig!!

Comment

Skyscraper, finally got a good photo of him. He ended up in the corn pile st my other stand last night. The game of chess continues

Comment

What'd the pig way? Looks like good eating size.

Got another kill tonight. This makes 3 since Wednesday morning! Shot a coyote, doe and now a 24.8lb tomcat. Funny thing is I had actually missed this bobcat about 3-4 weeks ago with my bow. I was walking out and didn't have time to unpack my range finger so I guessed 25 yards and hit low. Got the rangefinder and he was actually 30 yards.

Well tonight he was heading across my food plot about 100 yards away. Stole the rifle from my lady and dropped him right there with a 55gr Nosler from the AR15.

Comment

Ryan, that is a beautiful cat!! You gotta get him mounted with all those spots! So many big cats (usually males) don't have many spots up on their sides/back. That sucker is completely spotted! Congratulations sir!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Ryan, that is a beautiful cat!! You gotta get him mounted with all those spots! So many big cats (usually males) don't have many spots up on their sides/back. That sucker is completely spotted! Congratulations sir!
                              Thank you, sir! I do plan to get him mounted. I actually am getting another cat back this next week that I posted about yesterday and is the one in my avatar. He was an even bigger male(never weighed him but I guessed he was pushing 35lbs, possibly more) and you're right about the spots. His spots weren't very big or well defined.

Comment

Very nice cat

Comment

Working...
                                X