OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Seasons over and they all know it. 25 yrds out under my oak tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well it's a wrap for me this year... first season back in east Texas in 31 years... got me a good buck during bow season and 3 good, fat hogs along the way... Sure enjoyed this thread and all the great stories of all those great bucks you all got. Already looking forward to next year.

Happy New Year to you All!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
        SteveTX,
        Man, I feel your pain! I have feeders out that were being hit regularly by a few good bucks until late October. Then they just vanished - even the hogs became noctornal. So I tried putting out just a pile of corn away from feeders and stands. The deer started hitting the pile in 2 days. I put out another pile last week in hopes of having 2 places to choose from. I placed the corn piles where I can sneak in and out without detection.
        I have been unable to hunt much so far this year but I plan to start late this week. Hope my plan works!!
        Seems like a lot of people have good results with hand corn. Maybe I'll try that. So far nothing has hit the acorns i threw out Friday. 3 more sits this trip so there is still hope. I'm adjusting to hunting east Texas from hunting south Texas growing up. Supposedly the same animal but i feel like I'm on a different planet some times.

Comment

Storm blew through pretty good around first light. I waited that out in the cabin and just got settled in a comfy box blind with steady rain falling. I'm not overly optimistic with the weather but i guess we'll see

Comment

So will the 2017-18 season open September 30th kinda like it did in 2012? I think it was the 29th or will it be the following weekend.
            I know I know... Already planning ahead [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
              So will the 2017-18 season open September 30th kinda like it did in 2012? I think it was the 29th or will it be the following weekend.
              I know I know... Already planning ahead [emoji23][emoji23]

Honestly kind of hoping for the weekend after, that way we get the first week of November with a bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

But I'm sure it will be Sept 30

Comment

I agree. I get off Thursday the 5th for 2 weeks. I missed the opener this past season and my target buck was on camera on the evening of the 2nd never to be seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                    But I'm sure it will be Sept 30

I would bet dollars to donuts this is the date. From a psychological stand-point this is great because waiting till September sounds a lot better than waiting till October.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                      I got it done in Houston county this evening. I've worked hard to kill a buck this year. Been insanely slow. 8 point a hair over 16" inside. Open sight 30/30 at 60 yards.

Congrats. You went old school on that one! Were you still hunting?

Comment

Finished out the year with a hog. Since bow opener I managed two does with my Hoyt, coyote with Savage in .260 Rem, bobcat and this hog both with my AR15.

Saw a nice buck Friday evening with about 5 mins of legal shooting light left. I had a hard time making out if he was legal for a few mins. He finally raised his head and his silhouette looked good. I was just about to draw back on him and he left. That's pretty much how my 2016 season went with bucks. I could have had a shot on few had I taken a rifle hut decided to stick with the bow.

Here's the hog from Friday night. Tried to get one last night but when we lit him up he didn't like the green light.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                          SteveTX,
                          Man, I feel your pain! I have feeders out that were being hit regularly by a few good bucks until late October. Then they just vanished - even the hogs became noctornal. So I tried putting out just a pile of corn away from feeders and stands. The deer started hitting the pile in 2 days. I put out another pile last week in hopes of having 2 places to choose from. I placed the corn piles where I can sneak in and out without detection.
                          I have been unable to hunt much so far this year but I plan to start late this week. Hope my plan works!!
                          Put out 100 lbs of corn this afternoon in a spot where two trails cross that usually has pretty good traffic. About 75 lbs in a pile, 20 or so in a pvc tube feeder that plays it out a little more slowly, and a couple pounds scattered around for good measure.

A couple questions: Do you guys who use hand successfully keep the pile going in the same spot for extended periods and just add to it as it gets eaten? Do you think the pvc feeder will make deer wary and keep them away?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post

Hey you'd get your ML yet? I got my days mixed up and forgot you were supposed to be back after it.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                                Hey you'd get your ML yet? I got my days mixed up and forgot you were supposed to be back after it.
                                It arrived and I'm good to go for the weekends. Work is going to get in the way during the week.

Comment

Working...
                                X