Which air rifle for squirrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which air rifle for squirrels?

It's time to declare war on the squirrels in my yard, would like to use an air rifle over a .22 rifle or shotgun.

Can anyone recommend a decent one for $200 or so? Would need to shoot 50 yards from my patio, I'm not even sure if this is reasonable for an air rifle, maybe it is, not sure

Thanks for any help.

I have a scoped Gamo .177 that shoots the gold pellets at 1300fps. Knocks them right off at 50yds. Will shoot dime sized groups at 25yds.
    I would think that one like it in 22cal would do the same

Comment

Make sure you get one powerful enough. I'm amazed at how many stupid laws we have.

pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.

Comment

Make sure your neighbor isn't too close. Most of the good air rifles are quite loud when shot so there's not much secrecy of what you're doing.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get a Benjamin Discovery of a step above and get a Marauder in .22 cal. Piston and other break barrel have plenty of "umph" but their accuracy is suspect at best. Last thing you want to do is have wounded game in your neighborhood. They are also whisper quiet. Spring driven air guns have a pound clang followed by a discernible crack!

I went piston driven and regret it everyday. It's simply not accurate enough to trust to take game. Airguns require precision shot placement, like archery because they do not have the internal "shock" effect of a firearm

Comment

Five bills for a squirrel killer? I'd buy a real .22 if I'm spending that much. It would have to be assassin quiet. But it's a sweet looking set-up nonetheless.

Comment

I use an Benjamin 392 pump

Comment

Subsonic or noiseless .22 rimfire doesn't have enough power unless you are about 10ft away. The one cock break over pellet guns are noisy. Some more than others. The nitrogen filled cylinder are quieter than the spring plunger type.
                Some even come with a suppressor but I don't think they work very well.
                This silent cat might be worth a look at. Would sure want to test it before buying.
                Gamo offers a complete line of adult precision pellet air rifles and pellet guns. Suitable for competition, hunting, training and backyard plinking.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-09-2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  Do yourself a favor and get a Benjamin Discovery of a step above and get a Marauder in .22 cal. Piston and other break barrel have plenty of "umph" but their accuracy is suspect at best. Last thing you want to do is have wounded game in your neighborhood. They are also whisper quiet. Spring driven air guns have a pound clang followed by a discernible crack!

I went piston driven and regret it everyday. It's simply not accurate enough to trust to take game. Airguns require precision shot placement, like archery because they do not have the internal "shock" effect of a firearm
                  I may be fixing to have a Discovery for sale. I just got it in trade and haven't shot it yet but I would entertain offers. Has a centerpoint 4-12 scope, some sort of aftermarket brass trigger and an sound moderator.

Comment

i have a gamo big cat .177 and a beman with .177 and .22 barrels, the gamo has not been shot in a long time and it is real loud, especially with the light weight pellets.. and the beman only sees .22 shot through it,and it is much quieter, but not what i would call quiet enough, i know it is a fluke but mine shoots pretty darn good out to 80 yards with the .22 pellets, but if i want quiet i use a 22 rimfire over the years i have killed a lot of squirrels with cb longs, but my favorite is the aguilla super sniper , 22 short case with 64 gr bullet,, and it hits real hard and the bullet impact is much louder than the rifle going off,, still loud in pistols but longer barrels rifles there pretty quiet,, much quieter than my pellet rifles

Comment

We shoot Benjamin at our house The trail NP XL specifically.
                      While this is a springer air gun the accuracy is there if you practice and use the right hold (Artillery Hold). We have a .177 model and a .22 model. I Like the .22 model better, what's the point of having a magnum air rifle if it is in .177? But my son likes the speed and it is his gun so that's why we have the .177.

No doubt that the PCP airguns like the Discovery are more accurate with less of a learning curve.

50 yards is a great distance for these guns, and with a little practice easy to be able to take head shots on squirrels at that distance, and for sure body shots.

Just be careful, they are as addicting as archery, well, almost.

Comment

I use the Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm/.20 cal. It's only about 20' from my "stand" to the feeder and it knocks them dead with head shots and 4 pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          Subsonic or noiseless .22 rimfire doesn't have enough power unless you are about 10ft away. The one cock break over pellet guns are noisy. Some more than others. The nitrogen filled cylinder are quieter than the spring plunger type.
                          Some even come with a suppressor but I don't think they work very well.
                          This silent cat might be worth a look at. Would sure want to test it before buying.
                          Gamo offers a complete line of adult precision pellet air rifles and pellet guns. Suitable for competition, hunting, training and backyard plinking.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_5y5cajlxog_b
                          This is so silly. So your saying a subsonic (1050fps) 22LR has no power after 10 feet???? You are very wrong sir. I have a suppressed 22lr that I shoot subs out of and I can kill any small game with ease under 75 yards.
                          You might want to do some more research before making blanket statements like that.
                          I have never seen an air rifle that is as quiet and as powerful as a suppressed 22lr

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

How do you charge the cylinder on the Discovery? It says it's rated for 2000 psi...

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              How do you charge the cylinder on the Discovery? It says it's rated for 2000 psi...
                              From a pre-filled tank; you get the tank filled at a SCUBA shop and then fill the cylynder from the tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X