No announcement yet.

Live - Appalachian Trail Thru Hike ... GA to MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has become a major issue for planning how far to hike in a day and how much water to carry. At 8.5 pounds a gallon...extra water becomes a burden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	24452729

Comment

That is not a good sign to see at the end of a long day. Hope that changes for y'all.

Comment

Looks like you are about 50 miles from the New Jersey Pennsylvania line.

You might be in for some thunderstorms and gusty winds later this afternoon starting around 4 or 5 pm; with storms likely late into the evening hours.

Be careful on those rocks!

Comment

I'll be driving right past you today..............shout if you need anything!

Comment

Whoops!

Looks like the rain is a little early.

Name:	AT Rain.JPG
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	24452746

Moving East.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
              Whoops!

Looks like the rain is a little early.

[ATTACH]801671[/ATTACH]

Moving East.
              It just passed me! Good storm... I ducked into a shelter 2 minutes before it broke loose!!

Here is what was coming at me the last mile before the shelter,

Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	24452751

Comment

Having hiked in Oklahoma and a few other states, have you ever been off the trail? Or been afraid you were? This happened to us a few times due to poor maintenance. I could see where the AT is better cared for though.

Comment

From what I've seen doing a little research there is a pretty good organization that works to maintain and improve the trail way and shelters.

Our mission is to protect, manage, and advocate for the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by DRT; 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Great read, good luck and safe travels brother

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      I carry 3 one liter palatapus bladders and several Smart Water bottles. When empty the Palatapus weigh very little. I mostly hike with the water bottles filled and use the Palatapus when I camp.

I am the odd duck here, many use a bladder with a drinking system. For whatever reason I do not use a bladder like that, but they are used out here.

Filtering from a Palatapus through the Sawyer Squeeze into a drinking bottle.

[ATTACH]801220[/ATTACH]
                      It is funny how water filtration has changed in the past couple of years. I bought an MSR sweetwater filter several years ago for backpacking and emergencies. The other day, in walmart I saw these Sawyer squeeze filters for $20, read the reviews, and picked one up for the emergency bag in the truck (along with my alcohol stove and bottle of heet.) They are so small and light, you could pack 2 if you were really that concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        It is funny how water filtration has changed in the past couple of years. I bought an MSR sweetwater filter several years ago for backpacking and emergencies. The other day, in walmart I saw these Sawyer squeeze filters for $20, read the reviews, and picked one up for the emergency bag in the truck (along with my alcohol stove and bottle of heet.) They are so small and light, you could pack 2 if you were really that concerned.
                        Sawyer's dominate the AT. That being said my hiking buddy Feather was not consistent filtering and he is now back in Port Clinton after about 6 days of "the squirts".

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                          Having hiked in Oklahoma and a few other states, have you ever been off the trail? Or been afraid you were? This happened to us a few times due to poor maintenance. I could see where the AT is better cared for though.
                          It would be tough. If your were in deep hiking zone you might stop looking for white blazes and go down a wrong trail, but overall it is well marked. A compass is not needed as trail winds all over. In many places the trail is very obvious with signs of use.. Other spots not so much

Comment

A sign I saw posted along a property line bordering the AT.... Maybe they were trying to spook hikers? Lol.

I did see a lot of hog sign back in the Smokies, but not further north.

Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	24452769

Comment

I've been catching up on the blog. Just made it to June and should be to present day by Thursday.

I enjoy reading about all the people you meet along the way, and then randomly see them again and again. My favorite part about travelling for extensive amounts of time along a similar route is the people you come to meet and befriend along the way.

Good job. Keep it up! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Who said that you could not go home again? Hello Jersey!!!

I'm going to try to update the blog tonight .

Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24452903

Comment

Working...
                                X