Ford Power Stroke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Power Stroke Question

Here is a question about my 2001 power stroke with 155,000 miles.

Today I was pulling my Pop-up in high winds (mostly cross wind) and every time I would hit about 2200 rpm the engine acted like it would hit a govenor speed limit or something. It would just stop pulling. I could take the foot out of it and it would then do fine till I hit about 2200 and then nothing more. So long as I would sloooowly power up it would build to 70+ mph but as soon as I hit about 2200 it would pull back down.

I have not changed the fuel filter in a while is that what is causing the problem or is there something else?

Any ideas?????

Okie, I've got the same truck with only 75K miles. I'ts never done that yet and I pull a 29ft 5'ver. It could be you fuel filter, I change mine between 10 and 15k. Might want to try down shift to up the Rpm's and see if it changes the point of losing power. You should have a lever to drain your fuel bowl, it's behind the filter and should be yellow. locate at the bottom edge. Hard to see, but you can peek at it if you lay ontop of your radiator. It swings from the left to right but only 90 degrees. You could add a hose to your steel tube, it's between the engine and the lower alternator. I added the hose to catch the drained fuel into a gatorade bottle for inspection of water and or particles. Good luck, hope this fixes it. BTW the WIX filters are less expesive than the Motorcraft. and you can use your oilfilter wrench to remove your fuel bowl cover.

Comment

Could be alot of things.

Sound like electrical though.
      The TPS (Throttle Position Switch) down by the acc. pedal. Does it cut out like that on neutral?

Fuel filter would be good to check also.
      What kind of air filter? After market (i.e. open element?) Is it clean?

Do you have a chip, etc? Guages? Could be getting HOT .
      Tranny temp, exhaust temp?

Philip-TX

Comment

Does it cut out like that on neutral? Yea kind of like the tranny is slipping or something.

Fuel filter would be good to check also. Just replaced the fuel filter and it still does it.

What kind of air filter? K&N and it is clean (cleaned a few weeks ago).

Do you have a chip, etc? NOPE

Guages? NOPE

Could be getting HOT. Could be but I don't think so.

Tranny temp, exhaust temp? Don't know.

Comment

Ok, I had the same exact problem, when pulling from Texas to Colorado.

Also noticed when it lost power it generated alot of black smoke.
          If at 22,000 rpm I let off the gas then gave it alot of gas to accelarate thru and cause a gear change I was fine.

Turned out it was some form of sensor valve, I heard valve and though oh god, but it was something simple. They hooked it up to the computer, it confirmed it, and it was replaced in about an hour.

Comment

Working...
          X