Football: Middleton Almost comes through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casey View Post
    Someone explain throwing it up for grabs on 3rd while in field goal range...and with the ball on the right hash. Boneheaded.
    Casey I'm assuming your talking about the "jump ball" that is supposed to be in the back corner of the endzone, where only the WR (#4) can catch the ball and come down to score.

I don't say "the commentators were actually right on that call" often, but when they were questioning that play call they were absolutely correct. Colt through it nowhere near where it was supposed to be and he was very lucky that Nebraska didn't pick it off and return it for a TD.

That play is one where QB's have no choice but to put it in that back corner because anywhere else is an "INT" and the only person to stop them from a 100+ yard INT return TD is the WR that the ball was intended for.

It made more sense to just run off the left tackle and put the ball in the middle of the field for the Kicker at a least. I'm sure Mack has his reasons why he let that play go, but that is something I'd like to hear.

Comment

I wonder if Colt thought he saw something in the defense and changed the play at the line? I didn't see an obvious call at the line but you never know.

Comment

thank god for backup kickers

Comment

HOW BOUT THEM AGGIES, WENT IN OVER TIME AGIANST OSU, BLOCKED OSU PAT WON THE GAME 34-33 we are 7-1 watch out horns i think we have a chance this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            Someone explain throwing it up for grabs on 3rd while in field goal range...and with the ball on the right hash. Boneheaded.
            I am not for sure that was a bonehead call, but of course I am a homer. We had missed two Fgs and an PTA. Our kicker was hurt and we where going to have to kick with a walk-on kid that has never kicked a FG at Texas. We had our 6'5" go to guy against a 5'11" corner and Texas feels like we should make that play happen. I think we took a shot to win the game. I think this was more of Texas playing to win instead of nutting it up in big games like in the past, so I am not totally against the call. There was still a few seconds on the clock so Nebraska could have gotten within FG position and beaten Texas with a FG where as if we score that touchdown they would have to score as touch as well. Not a bad call in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_dropem View Post
              HOW BOUT THEM AGGIES, WENT IN OVER TIME AGIANST OSU, BLOCKED OSU PAT WON THE GAME 34-33 we are 7-1 watch out horns i think we have a chance this year!

Who was it that stated the Aggies would be 3-9 or 4-8 this season back before the crash? And....what was the bet? I still think A&M could have gone 12-0 this season. Tech....well that was t.t. Texas has proven vulnerable and OK isn't what they use to be. IF....IF.....IF! Maybe 11-1?
              Last edited by texag93; 10-22-2006, 07:53 AM.

Comment

It made game of the week. It's on ESPN Classics now.

Comment

Texas and Nebraska that is.

Comment

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty comforitable with A&M getting to 8 wins.

Comment

Gig'em Aggies!!!!!

Comment

Heath...I know that Davis did not call the pass in the end zone just before the field goal.

How many flanker screens can you run in a game?

Why is Young playing on front of Jammal Charles?

The spread was a VY offense. You are inside the 10 yard line and come away with zero points.

1st and goal from the 2 yard line. You run three plays to the short side of the field and net a -4 yards.

The horns were very fortunate to win this game.

I know football and I know boring when I see it. VY and the defense carried the Horns to a NC last year.

Greg Davis is a jekly and hyde. He goes from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Colt McCoy is a great QB who makes very smart decisions on the field.

If the Horns would have lost yesterday, who gets the blame for the fact that they could not punch it in and put the points on the board? We should have won by 3 TD's.

No offense...but as a season ticket holder I can make these observations and we may have beaten OSU if they would have better play calling and opened it up a little.

I do not like his offensive schemes and he does not impress me at all.

Comment

I thought it was a fun game to watch. You can't run away with all the games and wins like this build character. We can second guess and play armchair quarterback all day long, but we are not out there making the calls. Congrats to the Horns and the Aggies for their wins, but I will still take the Longhorns over the Ags

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Fork View Post
                            Heath...I know that Davis did not call the pass in the end zone just before the field goal.

That was a Davis call. McCoy did not check to it and I like that call of trying to win the game right there with Limas. Colt should have thrown the ball where either Limas or nobody would catch it. Colt under threw it a little.

How many flanker screens can you run in a game?

The flanker screen was huge for Texas all day. We threw it on 3rd down on the last drive of the game.

Why is Young playing on front of Jammal Charles?

Young is a great back and played well yesterday. Jammal has been a shaky with the ball this year. Young was in there to protect the ball in the 4th.

The spread was a VY offense. You are inside the 10 yard line and come away with zero points.

So it was Davis's fault that Greg Johnson missed those two FGs to come away with no points. Texas got into the I with a fullback several times during the game for the first time this year and got out of the spread. I think Texas used less of the true spread in this game than any in this game.

1st and goal from the 2 yard line. You run three plays to the short side of the field and net a -4 yards.

Texas has a great Oline and running game and can not punch in from the short yardage. That is not the OC fault. Texas also had a false state which pushed the ball back to the 7, yep Davis's fault again. I chalk it up to great Red Zone Defense by Nebraska

The horns were very fortunate to win this game.

Anytime you beat a Top 20 team on the road you are fortunate to win the game and get out of there with a W

I know football and I know boring when I see it. VY and the defense carried the Horns to a NC last year.

Very True. Boring football is ranked #5 in the Nation after replacing one of the best players in school history. Sounds like you would ***** about a million dollars cause you did not like the color of the bag it was in

Greg Davis is a jekly and hyde. He goes from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Like every other coach in the nation that is judged week in week out by how 18-22 kids year olds play. Davis won the Broyles Award for Top Coach in the nation (selected by coaches) a few seasons ago. He is well respected in the coaching circles. Teams from college and even the NFL come to visit him in the offseason to learn what he does. Texas is LEADING the nation in scoring and we do not have VY. Davis is easy to take shots at. He is not the problem. This was one of Coach Davis best called games. Lots of the websites are talking about what a great game he called and most of the people are Davis bashers

Colt McCoy is a great QB who makes very smart decisions on the field.

If the Horns would have lost yesterday, who gets the blame for the fact that they could not punch it in and put the points on the board? We should have won by 3 TD's.

Football is a funny game with a lot of parity. Does not matter that we won by 2 points or 3 TDs. A win is a win.

No offense...but as a season ticket holder I can make these observations and we may have beaten OSU if they would have better play calling and opened it up a little.I do not like his offensive schemes and he does not impress me at all.
                            Or we could have gotten blow out if we had opened it up. You do not like his scheme? What is wrong with it? It won a National Tittle last year and has Texas leading the nation in scoring and #5 in the nation. It sure is easy to make a decision on a play call when you know the results

Comment

Have yall checked the pics for this week? OUCH!

Comment

Re: Rusty Fork

Originally posted by Rusty Fork View Post

Rusty, this right here is what makes or breaks Coordinators. If he becomes "patternable" he becomes a liability instead an asset.

Now I'm Not defending Greg Davis, but just wanting to express the importance of showing that the "wide spectrum" is important to have.

Comment

Working...
                                X