No announcement yet.

Tractors...hp or 4wd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you got the money, 4wd is always the best way to go. I have a 120 acre place, with about 12 acres in food plots. All I do is plant food plots and shred. I have a 64 hp, J.D, 2 wheel drive, with no loader. I pull a 10' disk and a 7' shredder. It works perfectly. My place is very sandy and the more rain I get, the harder the ground gets, so wet is not a problem for me. Depends on the ground and what else you might want to do with the tractor.

Comment

Horse power is worth nothing without putting it to the ground. I would go 4wd.

Comment

I'm curious what are folks doing that rave about 4wd?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
          Not getting stuck.

Comment

Anything and everything.

Comment

4WD is huge with loader work. Many times my FEL is too heavy for my rear tire to get enough traction. Helps in loading bucket. Help prevent as much slippage when pulling attachment with a lot of resistance like harrow disk. Going up very steep inclines pulling attachments.... Getting unstuck when not in 4wd.

Comment

We have a 51HP 4wd for 160 acres and it gets the job done, the 4wd has saved me multiple times just in the last year.

Comment

Pushing over bigger cedars. Getting through the the creek bottom to the other side of my property without getting stuck. Pulling implements up the hills on my place. FEL work. Box blading my neighbors steep +^%^*# driveway after the storms wash it out.

2WD would be pretty limited on my place

Comment

FEL work

Discing small plots where turning with disc in the ground

Pulling off set disc

There is a reason that most modern farm tractors, other than hay equipment, is 4x4 no matter what the HP

Comment

I wonder what people did before 4wd tractors became common. Maybe used a big enough tractor and common sense? 4wd is better no doubt but it's possible to do good work with a 2wd. 4wd will get you stuck further in the field though.

Comment

Haha. I'm sure people used to send mail on a pony and went to town on horse and buggy. The technology is there to make things easier. If my place was level or even close to it I would've thought about a bigger 2WD. But it's not, so I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          I wonder what people did before 4wd tractors became common. Maybe used a big enough tractor and common sense? 4wd is better no doubt but it's possible to do good work with a 2wd. 4wd will get you stuck further in the field though.

No one said it couldn't be done with 2wd, just said 4x4 was worth the extra cost

Comment

There is no substitute for good sense. That being said mine is a 4x4 50 HP and wife's is 2x4 68 HP and she would rather drive mine.

Comment

Life is all about give and take directly affected by money. That tractor you posted looks to be a logical choice in my opinion! I have a 53HP 2wd with a FEL JD and it's a great tractor, my FIL has a 5065 4wd JD that is that last year before DEF came out. I would love to have his tractor as you can do almost anything with, but the JD I have was so much more of an economical decision that can do almost anything his can with more time. HP rules, FEL is a must and 4wd is a close third variable. That being said I know I could do anything with my FIL tractor on the amount of land we maintain. Farming is a whole other game in which you would want a cab and could afford to buy a machine that would be used on a daily basis. All we do is cut and rake hay on 30 acres as well as plant 10 acres of food plots. Both tractors get utilized, it's all about what you want and are willing to fork out. I'm JD green all the way and think you can't go wrong with the tractor you listed. As said before the new tractors are a lot lighter and perform a lot differently. That guy needs a new trailer to tow that tractor BTW haha. Good luck amigo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                                If it's warm and dies it bleeds a little diesel into the cylinder and can take e few minutes to get it started back up.
                                Is this a red flag? Sounds weird to me.

Don't feel like you HAVE to have a 4X4. I've never, never run into anything my 2WD Mahindra 4025 couldn't handle. I've picked up tree trunks 3 feet thick and 10 feet long with it like they were feathers, and boulders the size of a 60" TV. Remember, grandad worked that 100 acre farm all his life with his trusty old Ford 8N.

One thing about that tractor in the picture... it has an aftermarket loader, a KD 5000. That's a very powerful loader, has about a 4,000 lb. capacity.

Think carefully about what you're going to do with it.

Here's some discussion of the 2940 that might be useful.

A friend has let me take his 2940 to try out, making hay. Only has 2500 hrs and is only done pasture clipping and some hay work. Not plowing or any crop farming. All I have ever run is my 4610 ford. This 2940 seems to be so huge for another 30 hp. It is alot longer and higher off the ground...

Comment

Working...
                                X