Hunting doves over "bait"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting doves over "bait"

So, it's illegal to hunt doves over a corn feeder or bait, but it is not illegal to hunt them over a crop. Even if the crop was planted solely for hunting doves? When exactly does it become "bait"?

Following

Comment

I believe the phrases are "normal agricultural practice...", and "attempt to harvest...".....but it has been a long time now since I wrote that check.

Comment

When it's planted for hunting dove over maybe? Just plant it for ground cover. I can't remember the exact number of days 10 or 14 or something like that, that time has to go by before you can hunt over a baited area after its removed and something Ike that too for grain that has been "shredded" if I remember right. Have you read in the outdoor annual, it talks about some of this in there?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If they are eating seed that came to the field it is bait, UNLESS it spilled during normal ag practice(planting).

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
              So, it's illegal to hunt doves over a corn feeder or bait, but it is not illegal to hunt them over a crop. Even if the crop was planted solely for hunting doves? When exactly does it become "bait"?
              When you get caught

Comment

This link should help.

Comment

I have a situation that I am trying to figure out? We hunt in a pecan orchard in the winter season and primarily hunt where the lightweight hulls are dumped(thousands of pounds). Is this legal? I am thinking it is a regular agricultural practice but have never asked a game warden. And the birds that come into the pecan hulls is amazing. Thanks for any responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Serbin View Post
                    I have a situation that I am trying to figure out? We hunt in a pecan orchard in the winter season and primarily hunt where the lightweight hulls are dumped(thousands of pounds). Is this legal? I am thinking it is a regular agricultural practice but have never asked a game warden. And the birds that come into the pecan hulls is amazing. Thanks for any responses.
                    I would think this would be normal Agriculture practice. That being said I would contact the local game warden.

Comment

I would think if it's the common practice of the orchard then would be legal, world of difference if you were buying them and dumping them there. Sounds as if the orchard shells their own pecans and they obviously have to get rid of the shells......very interesting, had no idea they would feed on the hulls/pieces......

Comment

When you manually spread the bait and do not plan to plow it under so it can grow. Plant it , let it grow to seed and then shred it on the ground. LEGAL

Comment

Ronnie41 is right, and here is something that will make you crazy. Take that same field, harvest the crop, and immediately turn around and scatter it on the ground and it becomes baiting.

Comment

This is legal.

Now, spreading corn and milo on a hundred acre dirt field a few weeks before season is not.

Comment

I would say you can. We hunt on the turn rows where the auger cart dumps the corn,milo into the trailer. Not all of it makes it into the trailer. Not on purpose at all. Game Wardens have checked us and we never got a ticket. But it better not be huge piles of grain we hunt over. Normal agriculture harvesting spillage is what he told us.

Comment

Working...
                              X