No announcement yet.

Houston Crime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KHOU says they have the women in custody.

Comment

how do we know she was a woman?

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
        how do we know she was a woman?
        The news said her family saw the report and turned her in. HPD went to her house and arrested her and towed the car.

Comment

Good to hear. That didn't take too long. Said she was waiting in the parking lot for an hour for him. I would guess that would make her a death penalty candidate since it was premeditated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if she was the "side chick" or found out about the "side chick"?

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
              Good to hear. That didn't take too long. Said she was waiting in the parking lot for an hour for him. I would guess that would make her a death penalty candidate since it was premeditated.

There is no such thing as premeditated murder in Texas.

A death penalty has to be murder in conjunction with some other specific crime listed in that law such as killing a police officer or firefighter who is acting in the line of duty, during a robbery, during a sexual assault, kidnapping, arson, etc.

Basically you have to be intending to commit another certain felony (listed in 19.03 of the Penal Code) and kill someone in the process, then it is Capital Murder.

Now if this woman was robbing him like taking his wallet or was in the process of trying to kidnap him, it could be Capital Murder. Simply lying in wait for your victim is not.

I had a district attorney tell me one time, Texas kind of has a premeditated murder.... it is one second. Texas law says it is Murder if you "intentionally or knowingly" take a person's life and that "intent" or "knowledge" can be one second before you did it.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                There is no such thing as premeditated murder in Texas.

A death penalty has to be murder in conjunction with some other specific crime listed in that law such as killing a police officer or firefighter who is acting in the line of duty, during a robbery, during a sexual assault, kidnapping, arson, etc.

Basically you have to be intending to commit another certain felony (listed in 19.03 of the Penal Code) and kill someone in the process, then it is Capital Murder.

Now if this woman was robbing him like taking his wallet or was in the process of trying to kidnap him, it could be Capital Murder. Simply lying in wait for your victim is not.

I had a district attorney tell me one time, Texas kind of has a premeditated murder.... it is one second. Texas law says it is Murder if you "intentionally or knowingly" take a person's life and that "intent" or "knowledge" can be one second before you did it.

Good to know. I'm no attorney or law enforcement so I appreciate you spelling that out. Should be interesting to hear more details as they come out.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                  Good to know. I'm no attorney or law enforcement so I appreciate you spelling that out. Should be interesting to hear more details as they come out.

Laws change every other year in TX and there have been many changes over the years. I think it was in the late 1970's that TX had kind of like a complete overhaul of the laws. I think prior to that, "premeditated" was one of the things that could cause the death penalty. I remember one of my teachers saying that premeditated murder was a death penalty case in TX so that might have very well been the law. Under the old TX law (and in other states) you could get the death penalty for crimes other than murder. In TX a sexual assault could carry the death penalty. That ended in (I think) 1972 when the US Supreme Court threw out the death penalty altogether including the TX sexual assault capital punishment option. When the death penalty was reinstated in 1976 as a lawful punishment, I think they now only allow it if someone is killed and then under limited circumstances.

I seem to remember skyjacking or taking over an aircraft also carried the death penalty back then but my memory is fading with age...........

What you heard under "premeditated" murder is probably not completely wrong and is just a hand me down saying from the old law. When I was in high school you would have been correct. The laws change and people don't always keep up.

Comment

Police say the woman shot the man and assaulted him before driving off.
                    wonder what the 'assault' was...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      wonder what the 'assault' was...
                      News says she wailed on him with the gun after emptying it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1520 View Post
                        wow this crap is getting rediculous
                        So this is the one for you that just put crime in the rediculous category?

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                          News says she wailed on him with the gun after emptying it.
                          well...technically ...if its empty...its a hammer....so....

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            So this is the one for you that just put crime in the rediculous category?
                            I don't know if it meets 'rediculous' criteria... but its certainly up around 'ludicrous speed'

Comment

On a lighter note, St James has a position open today.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                                On a lighter note, St James has a position open today.
                                the church!

I mean..uh... whats St James?

Comment

Working...
                                X