Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabin is under construction. Should be done by friday. So now you know where I'll be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
    Definitely go window unit. We didn't do wood stove due to severe allergies. We bought a kerosene heater from Home Depot that will burn you out of the place.
    Interesting idea, hadn't thought of that one. Currently, I use a propane tank with an attachment. We just use it to warm the place up, then convert to electric. Gonna check out the kerosene for next year.

Comment

Instead of window unit go with a split unit. Heats and cools. You could do 2 one for the upstairs and one for the down stairs.

Comment

One of these days, I'll get my own little slice of heaven and a cabin similar to this. Lookin' great! Good for you! Have fun with it.

Comment

I had an 18'x36' cabin when I had a lease in Runnels Co. I just mounted a window unit in the wall that was heat and a/c. The only time we used any other heat source was when it got into the twenties. We had a small electric heater in the bathroom for that. That window unit is twenty years old and still working.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            Interesting idea, hadn't thought of that one. Currently, I use a propane tank with an attachment. We just use it to warm the place up, then convert to electric. Gonna check out the kerosene for next year.
            This is the one I have...I'm amazed at how well it works.

Comment

Does it suck up the oxygen like a propane heater? I'm guessing it's safer? How much is the kerosene? Where do I buy kerosene? Just not familiar with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Looking good! Diggin' the green color choice as well..
                Yep, that color is definitely hitting the spot!

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  Does it suck up the oxygen like a propane heater? I'm guessing it's safer? How much is the kerosene? Where do I buy kerosene? Just not familiar with them.
                  It's supposed to be safer, but I still leave a window cracked(actually have to or it will get too hot in the cabin) and I have CO alarm. I buy the fake kerosene that is low odor...you can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, TSC, etc...

Comment

Very nice! Are you putting it on your hunting property? I'll have the same thing one day on a piece of my ground. Congrats!

Comment

To be honest with yall, I wanted to go green on everything. reason being, I wanted it to blend in with the tress in background. the main road is 75 yards to the north of cabin, and then turns south 500 yards to the west of the cabin. the barn doors face west. there are trees that follow the road all the way along the property. so, if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't see it, and yes, come "winter" time when everything turns brown and leaves fall, itll probably stick out like a sore thumb. but i think yall know where I'm going with this. well anyways, the wife stepped in and shot down the whole green theme and said that the trim HAD to be white, I'm not one to argue.

so, the rest of my plan is to run some outlets, some plumbing, want to try to retain the "rustic" theme but not full blown caveman. i wil insulate walls and put up wood paneling laid horizontal to give "log cabin" appearance. no stain or paint on walls. stairs i was thinking about staining and placing oval cut pieces of carpet on top. upstairs will be sleeping quarters. itll be a everyone sleeping quarters. cots and/or air mattresses. oh yeah, upstairs will be carpeted. main level i am kinda thinking about sealing the cracks between sheets of plywood and putting down that epoxy that you put on your garage floor with the speckles. the tan of light brown. then put a big throw rug down on top of it.

i'll have a sink and a couple of cook tops as well. no refrigerator, wife ok'd a expensive cooler, if your picking up what i am throwing down, BUT perhaps i'll contact a certain site sponsor. a comfy couch and a couple of chairs. i have a long way to go yet, but i want this all done before bow season. so its going to be a long busy summer.

Comment

yes, its on my hunting property/little piece of heaven.

Comment

That little dude puts out some serious heat. Bought one a couple of years ago for a 16x20 cabin and it is probably too much. Don't sleep with it on but doesn't take but about 10min to warm it up enough to get out from the covers on a cold morning.

Comment

this kerosene heater, does it sit on floor hang in the air, sit on a table? my cabin is 2 story, so fast do you think itll heat upper level, or just start it upstairs and then bring downstairs to keep comfortably warm?

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                              this kerosene heater, does it sit on floor hang in the air, sit on a table? my cabin is 2 story, so fast do you think itll heat upper level, or just start it upstairs and then bring downstairs to keep comfortably warm?
                              Sits on the floor. You're a little over double my size with the second floor. I would imagine the second floor would heat up fine with it being on the first floor. It will heat it as fast as any other method you could use.

Comment

I went the "shed" route because it sealed up like a cargo container and would keep the rodents out...unlike a camper trailer. I also decided my shed/cabin would me modular. Nothing is attached to the walls, it can all be taken out if needed.

My best advise is to make sure all electric outlets and wires are done first before the paneling. Also, add an extra 10 outlets...more than you need is better. You'd be surprised how many you need in such a confined space.

Comment

Working...
                                X