• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    good luck
    Good luck to your two boys as well

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      yep, the kids love it, my son loved getting to lead off and steal bases but its tough, especially in the beginning when the coaches are trying to figure out who can throw strikes and who cant....ever....no matter how long you leave them out there....

my son has always had a better bat than glove, he has hit 3rd or 4th on pretty much every team hes played on, but he was scared to death of getting hit that first fall of 9u. he was ok in practice against our own kids but that first tournament we played and he faced kids he didn't know, he literally wouldn't even swing the bat. I went and spent $50 on of those stupid elbow guards and showed him how he could use it to deflect the ball if it was coming at him, even if it was down by his leg () and he was fine after that. he wore that thing for a couple of tournaments and its been in the bottom of his bag ever since.

the biggest problem I still see with some of our boys is they are still a little apprehensive about getting up on the plate, you can hear every dad when their kid is walking up there saying "scoot up to the plate!" luckily Brock has gotten over the fear and now pretty much stands with his toes on the batters box chalk.
      Truth - this is where you see some separation.

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
      Yes it typically is a big adjustment for the boys. I that it would be a little more difficult than what it was for my son. That first tournament he got hit in the side with the ball. He just trotted down to first and never looked back. He has always been aggressive at the plate but it was good watching him take a few pitches and end up walking a few times. One thing I have always told him it does not matter how hard you can throw a ball if you can’t hit where you want to. I told this new coach that he would pitch strikes most of the time. I think this past season he only walked 2 or 3 batters total. I had no intention of him being a pitcher at all but he has come into his own on the mound. He is now in pitching lessons to go along with his batting lessons. We will see how this new team works out. Should be a good time
      Will be fun.

Comment

just my opinion as someone who played select ball, played in college, played over seas, and now coach select ball on the side. as far as this argument about "is select ball what its hyped up to be" I played select ball when it was starting to get big and I do think it is extremely watered down now with the number of teams and divisions. I will also be one to say that I have seen some really great coaches and organizations as well as some really bad ones. Yes there are some coaches who just do it for the money, but the majority do it because they love the game and want to help the kids get better and be the best players they can be.

I will be the first to say that now days select and showcase tournament ball does beneift the kids and helps with getting college offers. Yes the studs will get seen no matter if its high school or tournament ball, but for the majority the tournament ball helps out a lot. I have spoke with many college coaches and they all say that the tournament ball helps them out with recruiting. Rather than traveling all over to see one or two kids at a time, they are able to attend events and see multiple kids in one location over a couple days. They also say this has helped lower the number of kids that are very talented players that might have been over looked had it not been for these tournaments. But everyone has their opinion.

Comment

The boys ended Saturday in an Open tournament as number 1 seed going into Sunday..
          Came out and battled some big bats - won first game but got out hit in second game..
          Ended up finishing third to 2 elite teams..but they hung with them and definitely have a shot at beating them..
          They did good.
          Tanner got his pic snapped and posted to the ball park facebook page, thankfully it was from a sunny Saturday.. (*he didnt have his best day Sunday at the plate....best hit he had was directly to a deep playing RF..)
          Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

We are just getting started in 10uAA and finally going to play a tournament in a couple weeks. I think it’s going to be a real eye opener for our boys, We’ve been practicing since late August but I don’t think they realize how much different it will be.

Comment

This little blog covers a little of what's been talked about in here. There is good info in the responses at the bottom too....

Are you placing your hopes on a college coach seeing you at high school games and pulling out a scholarship offer? Most college coaches don’t spend much...

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
                We are just getting started in 10uAA and finally going to play a tournament in a couple weeks. I think it’s going to be a real eye opener for our boys, We’ve been practicing since late August but I don’t think they realize how much different it will be.
                The difference will be a great relief if it is anything like our experience. We went to 10AAA as our first introduction, but the difference has been greatness in terms of competition and growth. Our team isnt even that great, but its a lot more fun watching good baseball.

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                The boys ended Saturday in an Open tournament as number 1 seed going into Sunday..
                Came out and battled some big bats - won first game but got out hit in second game..
                Ended up finishing third to 2 elite teams..but they hung with them and definitely have a shot at beating them..
                They did good.
                Tanner got his pic snapped and posted to the ball park facebook page, thankfully it was from a sunny Saturday.. (*he didnt have his best day Sunday at the plate....best hit he had was directly to a deep playing RF..)
                https://www.facebook.com/scrapyardsp...220018/?type=3
                Great pic, glad they got a win under their belt.

Comment

Working...
                X