Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
    We did a little fall ball warm up protecting 8, but playing rec to see how they would do going into coach pitch. Our knuckleheads went 9-1 scoring 122 runs and allowing 36 runs in 10 games. We are moving up as a AA USSSA team in the Spring, but are thinking about playing strictly 7u tournaments next Spring instead of league play and tournaments. Thoughts?
    are you guys 7u now?

if you decide to play league it sounds like the league in Euless at the texas star is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
      We did a little fall ball warm up protecting 8, but playing rec to see how they would do going into coach pitch. Our knuckleheads went 9-1 scoring 122 runs and allowing 36 runs in 10 games. We are moving up as a AA USSSA team in the Spring, but are thinking about playing strictly 7u tournaments next Spring instead of league play and tournaments. Thoughts?
      Chad,
      I would pay your kids up if you guys are playing that well. You can always choose to play back down on certain tournaments if needed. We would see who was entered before making a decision. We didn’t want to put them in over their heads. Good luck.

We played in the NIT last weekend 10 u major and lost in the semis to Banditos Black (number 1 team in nation) 11-1. They had a kid throwing mid 60’s and then would break one off at 58. Nasty stuff but cool to watch. Went 3-1 so not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by gofish24 View Post
        if your serious about getting better you need to skip rec ball. you cant get better if your not getting pressed and pushed by the teams you play. it was a good step to see where you were, but its not gonna make you guys any better and it embarrassed a lot of rec teams (been there done that).

select leagues are hard to find, but id look for one and play tournaments. Scrimmages are also great ways to stay sharp if you cant find a select league. check out the north texas baseball facebook pages. its not hard to find a scrimmage every week if you wanted to.
        re-read this morning and thought maybe I came off a little harsh. Rec is great and has it's place, but if you guys are beating teams the way you described all I see is misery for you in the future for something that wont make you better.

We did this in the past playing up 3 grade levels and ended up in bad situations/arguments at almost every game because it "wasn't fair, was embarrassing the older kids, etc..etc..." I do stand by my advise above with emphasis on the scrimmaging. Partner up with a couple of good teams that will agree to let you instruct in game. It really helped us when we were younger.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          are you guys 7u now?

if you decide to play league it sounds like the league in Euless at the texas star is pretty good.
          Yes, we are 7u pure, no 8's or youngers. We are moving to USSSA as a AA team starting in the spring. There's a basic premiere league for 7u and 8u combined at RYA and we're also looking at Euless.

But, I think I'm going to stick with the three days per week commitment during our first Spring. Practice on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays while playing 1 tournament per month to get their feet wet. Then jump back into league play plus tournament play.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            So I Ordered a 'cheap' HD video camera... for the sole purposes of videoing the boy at his positions and batting (specifically batting)..
            His private hitting coach uses one and it has made a night and day difference in helping my son understand the mechanics of his swing and correcting/improving on his swing..

being able to slow/stop a playback of his swings has been immeasurable in helping him, so i thought I'd get one and use it for the rest of his positions too.

anyway.. anyone else use this method for helping their kids?
            I use a go pro and lynkspyder behind the back stop. start it when the games starts and let it record the entire game. I can get the entire field which is great but hard to see whats going on in the outfield. when pointed direct at the batters it does a good job, but of course you don't get to see what's happening after the hit. So I usually put the go pro on the backstop and use my iphone filming him batting at a better angle.

several teams we play do this as well and some of our games have been posted on youtube. pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
              Chad,
              I would pay your kids up if you guys are playing that well. You can always choose to play back down on certain tournaments if needed. We would see who was entered before making a decision. We didn’t want to put them in over their heads. Good luck.

We played in the NIT last weekend 10 u major and lost in the semis to Banditos Black (number 1 team in nation) 11-1. They had a kid throwing mid 60’s and then would break one off at 58. Nasty stuff but cool to watch. Went 3-1 so not bad.
              that team was signed up early to come play up here last week but then later in the week they weren't there any more. I wanted to see them play.

I bet that pitcher was a kid named Kalub, from Amarillo. we faced him a few times in the spring, one of the best pitchers our team has seen. that team has like 15 kids on the roster too lol.

Comment

Chad,

Not bad at all. Thanks for the input.

Comment

re-read this morning and thought maybe I came off a little harsh. Rec is great and has it's place, but if you guys are beating teams the way you described all I see is misery for you in the future for something that wont make you better.

We did this in the past playing up 3 grade levels and ended up in bad situations/arguments at almost every game because it "wasn't fair, was embarrassing the older kids, etc..etc..." I do stand by my advise above with emphasis on the scrimmaging. Partner up with a couple of good teams that will agree to let you instruct in game. It really helped us when we were younger.
                  No sweat, I didn't take it that way. We had just finished Tee-Ball All-Stars so I decided to stay rec for fall to see where our core group was when it came to live pitching, I already new where they stood defensively.

We should have made the jump, live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    that team was signed up early to come play up here last week but then later in the week they weren't there any more. I wanted to see them play.

I bet that pitcher was a kid named Kalub, from Amarillo. we faced him a few times in the spring, one of the best pitchers our team has seen. that team has like 15 kids on the roster too lol.
                    Carson Reeder was the kid pitching he goes to school with my son here in Tomball. Also hit 2 off the wall. Kid is amazing.

Comment

I use a go pro and lynkspyder behind the back stop. start it when the games starts and let it record the entire game. I can get the entire field which is great but hard to see whats going on in the outfield. when pointed direct at the batters it does a good job, but of course you don't get to see what's happening after the hit. So I usually put the go pro on the backstop and use my iphone filming him batting at a better angle.

several teams we play do this as well and some of our games have been posted on youtube. pretty cool.
                      yeh i was thinking about doing that..but fortunately (or unfortunately) I've already paid for a year membership on HiCast.. which has cameras at all the parks we currently play..with the exception of a couple that we occaisionally tournament at.
                      but yeh...Outfield play is diminished greatly...
                      if they werent so **** noisy.. i might invest in a good drone to hover over the field for a game... that might be cool...
                      "its for training honey...he needs it." ..... she might even buy that...

Comment

Carson Reeder was the kid pitching he goes to school with my son here in Tomball. Also hit 2 off the wall. Kid is amazing.
                        lol, not surprising that they are loaded.

Comment

Great field coming up in the NIT up here, several teams from down by you making the trip...

well the pic looks like crap..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck fellas. We have league this weekend, and looks like we need some winter gear, lol.

We went to our first 2 private lessons, and they have worked out great. Little guy isn't getting burned out, and is showing real progress.

Our jump to select has been well worth it in almost every way. The competition and coaching has been great to watch and be a part of.

Also on a side note, there is a raffle group for equipment that has HOOKED me. It is slowly becoming an addiction as I learn more, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                              Good luck fellas. We have league this weekend, and looks like we need some winter gear, lol.

We went to our first 2 private lessons, and they have worked out great. Little guy isn't getting burned out, and is showing real progress.

Our jump to select has been well worth it in almost every way. The competition and coaching has been great to watch and be a part of.

Also on a side note, there is a raffle group for equipment that has HOOKED me. It is slowly becoming an addiction as I learn more, lol.
                              good to hear man, I am sure we will cross paths at some point in the spring

Comment

We got the call last week.....and so it begins.

Comment

Working...
                                X