No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey y'all...this is a little off on age but my 6 yr old just started on his first team. Where and what would you suggest for a glove? I work his glove when he isn't using it but he is having problems squeezing it. I got him a 11.5 inch glove from Rawlings. It's the Select Pro Lite model. I always used a gold glove heart of the hide glove when I played. Any help would be appreciated.
    Coady

Comment

Texaskid. Who cares. Just get it broke in sit in a lawn chair and laugh. Let him have a suicide cola after every game and if the place you are has Frito-Pie have a few. I wouldn't even pay attention to much until he is in about 12u.

Comment

Originally posted by Texaskid82 View Post
        Hey y'all...this is a little off on age but my 6 yr old just started on his first team. Where and what would you suggest for a glove? I work his glove when he isn't using it but he is having problems squeezing it. I got him a 11.5 inch glove from Rawlings. It's the Select Pro Lite model. I always used a gold glove heart of the hide glove when I played. Any help would be appreciated.
        Coady
        He won't have the hand strength to break in a leather glove and you sticking your dad sized paw in there will stretch it all out. Buy him a cheap floppy synthetic leather glove that he can open and close easily. In a couple of years give him the Rawlings back.,but keep your big dad paw out of it

Comment

Appreciate it y'all.

Comment

if you are going to buy something new i would go with an 11" glove, maybe 11.25". i know it doesnt sound like much but my 7u son uses a 11.25 and my 10u uses a 11.5 and there is a noticeable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Texaskid82 View Post
              Coady

Mizuno makes a youth model with "power close". 10 inch glove and can be found at Academy for 25 bucks. Can buy it off shelf and my 6 year old could use it immediately. My biggest advice is don't worry about him catching the ball. Worry about feet and mechanics especially on pop ups. If you get him in the right position and good mechanics, the catching will happen. Don't get on to him for missing the ball, compliment him on getting there to catch it. At that age, to me the backyard time was way more valuable than anything in the games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flufster View Post
                Mizuno makes a youth model with "power close". 10 inch glove and can be found at Academy for 25 bucks. Can buy it off shelf and my 6 year old could use it immediately. My biggest advice is don't worry about him catching the ball. Worry about feet and mechanics especially on pop ups. If you get him in the right position and good mechanics, the catching will happen. Don't get on to him for missing the ball, compliment him on getting there to catch it. At that age, to me the backyard time was way more valuable than anything in the games.

X2 on the power close. Marucci also makes a great kids glove. Upgraded from the power close this year with my seven year old.
                Last edited by jkk831; 09-18-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

First Select Tournament and First Win for my Son. Got to the field at 715 and left at 1015. Started off sloppy in the first game, but finished with 4 wins.

Long day, but them smiles with the ring make it worth it.

Comment

Another great glove right off the shelf is the Louisville Slugger 125 series that you can pick up at Academy for $69.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                      Another great glove right off the shelf is the Louisville Slugger 125 series that you can pick up at Academy for $69.

Great ball glove that is ready to go but still offers you a good leather. You can probably find a good deal on these.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                        First Select Tournament and First Win for my Son. Got to the field at 715 and left at 1015. Started off sloppy in the first game, but finished with 4 wins.

Long day, but them smiles with the ring make it worth it.
                        That's awesome. Good to hear it's working out.

The 10u team was the #1 seed going into Sunday and had to come back to win the first game but the errors caught up with us in game 2. Wasn't a bad way to start the fall i guess. Brock played well and looked really comfortable at the plate.

My 7u son's team lost their first game to a team not from South Texas yesterday in the championship and came away with silver.

I was at the 7u games yesterday staring at gamechanger watching the 10u play at the same times.

It was along weekend for us but it was fun to get back into it a little bit.

Comment

Boys had great first set of games... handily won first game..18-2.....then went against a much larger set of kids in second game that jumped out on us 5-0...
                          Had some early issues getting the bats to not hit where they could catch them..but defense was strong and held them off till we started hitting line drive grounders.. ended up winning 12-5..

I like these dbl header Sundays.

Comment

Greatness - sounds like a successful weekend for the little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by flufster View Post

Thank you. I actually went yesterday and got him this glove in 11 inch. He could squeeze it a lot better already. Appreciate the lead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Texaskid82; 09-19-2017, 04:29 AM.

Comment

we stunk at Mavs(Hero's) Ballpark this weekend. All the reviews I read said parking and the umps were terrible and both were spot on. Its an awesome field and cool to play in downtown. infield/outfield lights were good but you dont want to play at night as the home plate lighting was horrible.

We lost our first bracket game by 1 run and played terrible so its our own fault, but will not be going back due to the umps.

Comment

Working...
                                X