• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gofish24 View Post
    any warranty?
    Not sure where the original receipt is. Bet I could fine one if needed

Comment

We had our first games on Sunday out at Triple Creek, and it was a loooooooong double header back to back. Fatigue definitely showed. Played a AAA team and Majors.

Kiddo was a trooper, and the step up in competition has been great. He played Left field, Center field and 2nd base. Got a couple of hits and feeling good about seeing some development.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
        how did it go last weekend?
        ugh...Saturday we won game 1. game 2 was against a local rival. pretty sure the winner of that was gonna be the #1 seed. the bracket had the number #1 seed playing at 8am against the #8 seed with the winner not playing again until 2pm. no byes' for any seeds.

I never play to lose, but could have done more to win. used 3 pitchers of which only 1 would have pitched sunday. they threw their 2 aces and beat us by 2. the OWL majors team ended up getting the #1 seed with the rival team getting #2 seed. we won our first bracket game and played/beat the owls in a rain shortened semi final so we were in the championship. the local rival and their opponent got rained out of their semi finals game. they gave us the silver and our rivals the gold since they were the #2 seed. out smarted myself again.

we had a blast and my summer/winter team ended up playing 4 tournaments with 4 second place finishes. Had another rain out during a championship which we were winning when the game was called, but due to being the #2 seed were again given the silver. Back to being a Super Sox until the winter break at which point the Wahoo's will pick back up. If the Tigers don't care, you need to come play with us sometime.

Comment

My daughter played softball since she was 4. That was all she knew. She really loved the sport and in order to keep playing she tolerated a lot of daddy coaches, rude parents from other teammates and opposing teams. She went off to college and played college ball for four years on a full ride. She could have graduated in three years because she had so many credits right out of high school but she was enjoying herself and it was not costing her or me any money. She graduated from the university and went on to medical school. Now she has one more year to finish medical school. She as no regrets but does not miss the sport. She says her body does not ache like it used to.

One thing I will tell all you parents... Don't neglect the classroom over playing ball. When she was playing I saw many talented players not go anywhere after high school because they did not have the grades to get accepted into a descent university. They had to settle for a junior college and even then they did not graduate because they were not college ready.

Don't know if these stats are true but her pitching coach mentioned to me that only about one percent of all the high school softball players in the state of Texas get to play college ball. And from that one percent not all of them finish the four years of college softball.

With all due respect to you as a parent. Please do yourself a favor and be realistic with yourself and your child talents. If your child is really not that talented to participate in a travel ball team don't force it upon him or her and don't let them believe they can do it if they really don't have the talent. Save your money and have them play league ball and enjoy the experience. Now if you have the income to spend on that then enjoy it and consider it a blessing.

My child did not play for these top travel ball teams in the state because she probably didn't have the talent to play with them. I would say she was low D1 or D2 level college player. But we knew that and we focused on free rides from those universities. I just gathered the starting high school roster and carried extra pitchers and catchers from other high schools. We live in a low income area so we did not have parents with money. It was all about the fundraising to get us where we wanted to go.

You and your child need to do your leg work and reach out to the schools that offer what she would want to major in. In my opinion, I would not wait to see who the travel ball coach can contact for you. If they are doing that then good but I would still look at other schools that would fit your child's higher educational goals.

That's my two cents from a parent that has gone through it already.
          God bless everyone

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            We had our first games on Sunday out at Triple Creek, and it was a loooooooong double header back to back. Fatigue definitely showed. Played a AAA team and Majors.

Kiddo was a trooper, and the step up in competition has been great. He played Left field, Center field and 2nd base. Got a couple of hits and feeling good about seeing some development.
            awesome to hear

Comment

awesome to hear
              im sure there were some butterflies that are out of the way now! Congrats and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gofish24 View Post
                ugh...Saturday we won game 1. game 2 was against a local rival. pretty sure the winner of that was gonna be the #1 seed. the bracket had the number #1 seed playing at 8am against the #8 seed with the winner not playing again until 2pm. no byes' for any seeds.

I never play to lose, but could have done more to win. used 3 pitchers of which only 1 would have pitched sunday. they threw their 2 aces and beat us by 2. the OWL majors team ended up getting the #1 seed with the rival team getting #2 seed. we won our first bracket game and played/beat the owls in a rain shortened semi final so we were in the championship. the local rival and their opponent got rained out of their semi finals game. they gave us the silver and our rivals the gold since they were the #2 seed. out smarted myself again.

we had a blast and my summer/winter team ended up playing 4 tournaments with 4 second place finishes. Had another rain out during a championship which we were winning when the game was called, but due to being the #2 seed were again given the silver. Back to being a Super Sox until the winter break at which point the Wahoo's will pick back up. If the Tigers don't care, you need to come play with us sometime.
                haha yep, we won of our tournaments in the spring due to a rain out, we were losing the championship 2-0 and weren't hitting their pitcher at all, had to suck for them.

I will check, we aren't playing much this fall but between football, basketball and my 7yo playing our free time is limited

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                  My daughter played softball since she was 4. That was all she knew. She really loved the sport and in order to keep playing she tolerated a lot of daddy coaches, rude parents from other teammates and opposing teams. She went off to college and played college ball for four years on a full ride. She could have graduated in three years because she had so many credits right out of high school but she was enjoying herself and it was not costing her or me any money. She graduated from the university and went on to medical school. Now she has one more year to finish medical school. She as no regrets but does not miss the sport. She says her body does not ache like it used to.

One thing I will tell all you parents... Don't neglect the classroom over playing ball. When she was playing I saw many talented players not go anywhere after high school because they did not have the grades to get accepted into a descent university. They had to settle for a junior college and even then they did not graduate because they were not college ready.

Don't know if these stats are true but her pitching coach mentioned to me that only about one percent of all the high school softball players in the state of Texas get to play college ball. And from that one percent not all of them finish the four years of college softball.

With all due respect to you as a parent. Please do yourself a favor and be realistic with yourself and your child talents. If your child is really not that talented to participate in a travel ball team don't force it upon him or her and don't let them believe they can do it if they really don't have the talent. Save your money and have them play league ball and enjoy the experience. Now if you have the income to spend on that then enjoy it and consider it a blessing.

My child did not play for these top travel ball teams in the state because she probably didn't have the talent to play with them. I would say she was low D1 or D2 level college player. But we knew that and we focused on free rides from those universities. I just gathered the starting high school roster and carried extra pitchers and catchers from other high schools. We live in a low income area so we did not have parents with money. It was all about the fundraising to get us where we wanted to go.

You and your child need to do your leg work and reach out to the schools that offer what she would want to major in. In my opinion, I would not wait to see who the travel ball coach can contact for you. If they are doing that then good but I would still look at other schools that would fit your child's higher educational goals.

God bless everyone
                  good luck to your daughter as well

Comment

good luck to your daughter as well
                    Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post

God bless everyone
                      That's great advice. Funny because the coach over "player development" at the club my son plays with just had this exact conversation with my son and I late this spring. When he approached us and asked to speak with us in private, I thought I had done something wrong or that I had made someone mad, even though I didn't think that was the case since I try to keep my mouth shut and out of the drama now that I'm no longer involved in coaching. I really appreciated the fact that he pulled us aside and asked us what our goals in baseball are moving forward, if my son was interested in any schools, etc..... The basic point of the conversation was, even as a 7th grader going into 8th grade, is that academics are just as important as everything else and something that every player needs to begin thinking about before high school. He said he has the same issues you talked about above with many players, they are good at baseball and terrible in the classroom, which really makes it tough for them to find a good match when it comes to playing college baseball. He brought up a good point that I hadn't really even thought about, that many of the D2/D3 schools are harder to get players into academically since many of them are small, private schools with strict academic requirements. Anyway, I just thought of that when I read your post, very good advice that is all too often overlooked. Congratulations to your daughter, becoming a Doctor is a huge accomplishment.

PS - I made the tough decision to make my son sit out baseball this fall, which he wasn't real pleased with, but I felt it was the best thing for his future. He will play football, hunt, and we will throw/hit on our own. I felt that burnout and arm injury are the two biggest threats to any aspiring high school player these days so that's the decision that I made.
                      Last edited by rockyraider; 08-28-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                        That's great advice. Funny because the coach over "player development" at the club my son plays with just had this exact conversation with my son and I late this spring. When he approached us and asked to speak with us in private, I thought I had done something wrong or that I had made someone mad, even though I didn't think that was the case since I try to keep my mouth shut and out of the drama now that I'm no longer involved in coaching. I really appreciated the fact that he pulled us aside and asked us what our goals in baseball are moving forward, if my son was interested in any schools, etc..... The basic point of the conversation was, even as a 7th grader going into 8th grade, is that academics are just as important as everything else and something that every player needs to begin thinking about before high school. He said he has the same issues you talked about above with many players, they are good at baseball and terrible in the classroom, which really makes it tough for them to find a good match when it comes to playing college baseball. He brought up a good point that I hadn't really even thought about, that many of the D2/D3 schools are harder to get players into academically since many of them are small, private schools with strict academic requirements. Anyway, I just thought of that when I read your post, very good advice that is all too often overlooked. Congratulations to your daughter, becoming a Doctor is a huge accomplishment.

PS - I made the tough decision to make my son sit out baseball this fall, which he wasn't real pleased with, but I felt it was the best thing for his future. He will play football, hunt, and we will throw/hit on our own. I felt that burnout and arm injury are the two biggest threats to any aspiring high school player these days so that's the decision that I made.
                        Thanks Rocky.
                        Speaking of burning out your kid. I am sure your kids have been on teams where the coache's child played the entire game either in their starting position or in another position but as long as he or she played the entire game. I had one coach tell me "My daughter will play the entire game, no matter what". Well guess what, she got burned out and never even played high school ball. I saw that a lot and many of those kids got burned out. My daughter played league ball till she was 12. It was at that age that I thought that maybe she had a chance a college ball. Even after she started playing select ball at twelve years old (at least that is what I called it), I pushed all the players to play league ball and to have fun playing during that part of the season. Once the regular league season was over then us coaches would have them step up their game to travel/select ball. Like I said in my previous post. I would take extra pitchers for the tournaments. Unless there was an injury, if my daughter was not pitching she was on the bench being the best cheerleader she could be. I never took out another player so my daughter could play the entire game. I really believe this kept her from burning out and injury free. Besides she liked the rest but was always ready to go back in when she was called upon.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
                          I'm looking for a 28/16 if anyone is wanting to sell.
                          PM sent

Comment

Lousville Prime

Lousiville Prime 28/18 up for sale. Located in Boyd asking 150
                            Attached Files

Comment

i have a buddy selling a lightly used 28/18 Rawlings quatro for $75 and an Easton mako that is 28/16 for $25. the quatro is last years model and was over $200 I think. the Easton is about 3 years old and has seen some use. its the orange one.

Comment

First real Select games in the Frisco Double Header League and the little guy played really well.

Was the starting pitcher in the first game and gave up one run over 2 innings and zero walks. Walked twice, hit by pitch and roped a 2 RBI double.

Second game wasn't as great, but playing the second game of a double header at 830 pm on a Sunday may make that happen, lol. He walked and struck out, but got 3 outs in the field.

Extremely glad we made the switch. Seeing him challenged with similar players has been greatness.

Comment

Working...
                                X