No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'd probably be standing next to each other...
    learned to tone it down a bit... re-read matheny's book a few times to remind myself...but still have a difficult time not 'trying to help' and being the loudest 'supporter' in the park...

Comment

Originally posted by gofish24 View Post
      What organization did you go with? How old is your son? I've been thinking about this myself. I love coaching, but I think I'd rather be in the stands and when I want to do a work out it can be with my son and maybe a few other boys as opposed to the entire team.

I agree and think at a certain point it is better for the kids development. I also think it would be better for the relationship I have with my son.
      It is the Fast Center in Denton, Tx. All the teams are called Fast 45s. My son has been taking catching and hitting lessons at the Fast Center for 3 years now.

The team that I coached was a Fast 45s team but not a paid coach. It was a good time to make the transition to the Fast Center taking over the team. It is a smaller organization with indoor training facility. They only run 9-10 teams out of the Fast Center.

I have gotten several emails from other organizations wanting my son to try out for their teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
        Sounds like a good fit if it has lasted that long.

I have never officially Coached my Son's team, and am the Dad standing off to the side away from everybody. I'm terrible at keeping a silent face, and sometimes mutter some things that I dont want anyone else to hear, lol. Never screaming, but if someone was by me, they may overhear some unpleasant remarks.

The AA team that my Son made is moving up to AAA apparently. Not sure if this makes a ton of difference.
        it will make a difference and its a good thing. i think there is a noticeable difference, being around and playing against better kids is always a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          it will make a difference and its a good thing. i think there is a noticeable difference, being around and playing against better kids is always a plus.
          Paperwork is done and ready to have some AAA fun.

Now I need equipment, lol. Anyone know about a Rawlings Velo 28/18?

Comment

Paperwork is done and ready to have some AAA fun.

Now I need equipment, lol. Anyone know about a Rawlings Velo 28/18?

My boy swings the 28/18 Velo, it's a 2016 model but is a super hot bat. I love it and when we step up in size we will go with the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
              Well my coaching days are over now officially. I handed the team I have been coaching for over two years over to the organization for a paid coach to take over. It is a bitter sweet moment for me but I know it is the best thing for my son long term. I have been coaching him since he was 3-4 years old.

Just hoping we get a few boys that we need to make our team better. Time will tell.
              I turned over my team last year for the same reason. I thought it would be best for my son to have another coach so he could hear it from someone other than me. Well that was a mistake and more than likely will never happen again as the coach was a total bust from the word go. He played in the Mets organization in the minors as a catcher and I thought he would know the game wrong. I watched his practice every week and games on the weekends and every week I just got more ****** off, the guy did not know anything playing kids in the wrong position or played them b/c they took lessons from him what a joke. My 30+yrs of playing and coaching finally took over, so I took the team back coming this fall. I know there are some good coaches out there, but guys be careful I learned the hard way. I have played a lot of ball in my days so I guess my expectations are very high, so until then I guess I have to go back to work LOL!

Comment

My son loved hitting the velo, we ended up going with the marucci posey28 pro metal and he loves it too. If you go to dbat in allen they have a ton of different bags he can hit. Frisco might as well but I know allen does.

Some will try to talk you into going with a composite like a cfzen or mako, but I think the alloys are better for the younger kids, especially in cooler weatman I,

Everyone I know that hits a marucci cat7 loves it too.

Comment

And you can't beat the sound of a well struck ball on an alloy bat that velo sounded awesome

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    And you can't beat the sound of a well struck ball on an alloy bat that velo sounded awesome
                    The Marucci Cat7 has its own unique sound as well. It gets annoying in the cage but sounds good in a game.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0VH0eSGKM"]Mavs/Heros single - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                      The Marucci Cat7 has its own unique sound as well. It gets annoying in the cage but sounds good in a game.

Mavs/Heros single - YouTube
                      My son uses a Cat7 very nice bats.

Comment

90% of 7,8,9,10u use cat 7..
                        I bought the koolaid and glad we did.
                        Much more pop than his demarini composite.. (sounds better too... ping > thud.)

Last edited by systemnt; 08-06-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Where do yall get your bats ?

Comment

Cat7's are $179 (or were) Everywhere... no matter where you went.. online or local..
                            We picked ours up at D(i)cks..
                            But I've bought from Justbats.com

Comment

Where do yall get your bats ?
                              I looked back through the thread and didn't see where you said which team your son decided on? Was it the Twins? You might check with your coach and see if the organization has a hook up with one of the big companies. We have marucci uniforms and in turn get a discount on bats and gloves too.

If you aren't stuck on the velo I can check and see what the cat7 or Posey28 are running right now.

Comment

My son is swinging the 2017 VELO 28/16 2 piece composite. He weigh's just over 60lbs and hits well with it, but want more with the pop. Just got him the 28/18 Prime 918. weight distribution is different and its not broken in yet, but I can tell a difference. It's also 2 ounces heavier so i'm sure that's helping too.

Most of our team is bumping up to 29/19's this year. We will be 10u. As long as your team/parents are okay with the best advice I can give is borrow lots of bats in BP and find one he likes and has confidence in. We have bats ranging from $100 on the team all the way up to $400 and I have kids who own $350 bats who are using the $100 5150.

Comment

Working...
                                X