No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety reminder: Parents/coaches -- Please remind players at all levels to stay alert in the dugout for foul balls. Had a real scare in a JUCO game this past weekend. Strong right-handed batter was late on a fast ball and drove a laser into the first base dugout, hitting a young man square in the mouth. Talked to his coaches the next day who said he will need some dental work. Scary situation sent kid to ER, and he was otherwise okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
      If I where to start over again I would Work with my son or get him lessons and not start select ball until he is 10-12 years old. We started when he was 7 and it was fun, but now I can see where it is starting to click at 11yr old. He has always had the baseball IQ and was a decent player but now I'm starting to really see the change. I would work hard and get the lessons just my 2 cents.
      We started him at four,

Just having fun, playing baseball with the Y. Meanwhile every time there is an open spot in training at a local facility called GearUp, he's there. This year, several guys have approached me asking who's number 5, well that's my son, why do you ask.
      He's a natural, or you have put in a lot of work.
      Well, we have and its' been a group effort. Between Gearup, my father in-law, Lovie and myself, we spend time playing in the back yard. This year he speaks up and says he really wants to play on a competitive team. I said if that's what you want to do I will look into it, but I wanted you to have fun playing the game, before it turns into work, because once you start down the competitive path, you have to be diligent and the best at your job.

He like to float from Left Field, to Short, to First, and Catcher. Being a coach I like that he's flexible. However it's also a catch 22, because he's not isolating on his strength, which I think is SS.

Coaching the kids has been a big undertaking. As you can see in the photo, we are a bunch of hams, but we have a lot of fun.

Which is what I have made this about from the beginning, FUN!
      Myself, I am extremely competitive. As much now as when I was growing up. It's a part of my make up. I took to losing very hard. Second best was no place I wanted to be, so I trained hard, worked out harder, and stayed longer to win.
      Lovie was the first to tell me, when I started coaching, remember, these are kids you are going to mold and build up, they are not walking out of the womb as shoe-less Joe Jackson. I'll never forget that conversation. She loves baseball as much, if not more than I do.
      She was right. Some of these kids didn't know what a baseball was, let alone the fundamentals. As the team grew, many of the parents continually requested I coach their kids, which was nice, because we could focus on baseball knowledge and rules of the game.

Then on the other hand I have the Miracle League with my nephew. He started off playing the DFW league 10-11 years ago. Now we have a Ellis County league where I am wanted to assume another coaching/buddy role with special needs kids for inclusive play. I can't wait to get that off the ground.

Part of me wants to encourage him to play select and then another part of me wants him to enjoy just being a kid. Do what you suggested an allow him to continue to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
        Then on the other hand I have the Miracle League with my nephew. He started off playing the DFW league 10-11 years ago. Now we have a Ellis County league where I am wanted to assume another coaching/buddy role with special needs kids for inclusive play. I can't wait to get that off the ground.
        this sounds awesome.
        Please post as much about it as you are able.
        Great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          this sounds awesome.
          Please post as much about it as you are able.
          Great stuff!
          I know little about the Ellis county part at the moment. However the Miracle League, generally speaking is a special baseball for people who would like to play baseball, however lack the overall general ability to play competitively.
          People with down syndrome and other less less fortunate circumstances often leaves these kids out. However the Miracle League provides them with an opportunity to play.

The DFW league has a custom soft field with a mesh turf, making wheel chairs easier to get around, then play fun music during the game and an MC introduces every player. Each player may have a buddy, which is something Hayden (my son) and Lovie and I have volunteered with. The aid in swinging the bat, running to the correct base, fielding balls, ect...

In Ellis County, they are hoping to begin construction of a similar field this year on the Northside of town near the YMCA and the Avenue Church. Until then, games and practices are held at the Optimist fields in Waxahachie.

Here they have two Leagues;
          Non-comptetive is Thursdays from 6-7 PM (everyone hits)
          Competitive (Three Strike Rule) is from 7-8 PM

Last Thursday was the first night and we had a few people out, but we are hoping that it grows in popularity for several teams.

I don't want to high jack this thread, but as I take more pictures and have more information I will create a new thread. Unless everyone in this thread doesn't mind, then we can keep baseball with baseball.

Comment

This is perfectly fine in this thread.
            This is about the kids...and baseball.
            I think that league is a wonderful idea.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
              By the way Grant how is the new team doing? Hope you guys have a great spring!
              We ended up 2 kids short so we went back to the big organization we have been playing with for 4 years and it's been drama since the start and that's what I was trying to get away from. I have no idea what I will do next season just going to finish this one out and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                We ended up 2 kids short so we went back to the big organization we have been playing with for 4 years and it's been drama since the start and that's what I was trying to get away from. I have no idea what I will do next season just going to finish this one out and see what happens.
                Man that's unfortunate. Those kids and famalies had a chance to experience the best of both worlds with what you were trying to do. The drama definitely makes it hard to stomach at times. Good luck from here on out!

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                  Man that's unfortunate. Those kids and famalies had a chance to experience the best of both worlds with what you were trying to do. The drama definitely makes it hard to stomach at times. Good luck from here on out!
                  I might try it again, but start a little earlier on getting them together for 12U. Yes sir those kids had a good opportunity just ended up short. I have a ton to teach at a very good price free LOL!! You never know good things happen to those that wait I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
                    We started him at four,

Just having fun, playing baseball with the Y. Meanwhile every time there is an open spot in training at a local facility called GearUp, he's there. This year, several guys have approached me asking who's number 5, well that's my son, why do you ask.
                    He's a natural, or you have put in a lot of work.
                    Well, we have and its' been a group effort. Between Gearup, my father in-law, Lovie and myself, we spend time playing in the back yard. This year he speaks up and says he really wants to play on a competitive team. I said if that's what you want to do I will look into it, but I wanted you to have fun playing the game, before it turns into work, because once you start down the competitive path, you have to be diligent and the best at your job.

He like to float from Left Field, to Short, to First, and Catcher. Being a coach I like that he's flexible. However it's also a catch 22, because he's not isolating on his strength, which I think is SS.

Coaching the kids has been a big undertaking. As you can see in the photo, we are a bunch of hams, but we have a lot of fun.

Which is what I have made this about from the beginning, FUN!
                    Myself, I am extremely competitive. As much now as when I was growing up. It's a part of my make up. I took to losing very hard. Second best was no place I wanted to be, so I trained hard, worked out harder, and stayed longer to win.
                    Lovie was the first to tell me, when I started coaching, remember, these are kids you are going to mold and build up, they are not walking out of the womb as shoe-less Joe Jackson. I'll never forget that conversation. She loves baseball as much, if not more than I do.
                    She was right. Some of these kids didn't know what a baseball was, let alone the fundamentals. As the team grew, many of the parents continually requested I coach their kids, which was nice, because we could focus on baseball knowledge and rules of the game.

Part of me wants to encourage him to play select and then another part of me wants him to enjoy just being a kid. Do what you suggested an allow him to continue to grow.
                    Nothing wrong with starting them early, as long as you keep it fun. As far as playing different positions -- that just makes them more versatile. My son had always been the pitcher/catcher/shortstop/thirdbaseman until after Little League. Select coach said: everybody can't play shortstop, who wants to play outfield? My son raised his hand and developed into a decent right-fielder/relief pitcher who batted clean-up in high school.

Comment

This is perfectly fine in this thread.
                      This is about the kids...and baseball.
                      I think that league is a wonderful idea.
                      Agree. Great thing you are doing sir.

Comment

Be at scrapyards this weekend.

Comment

Our tee ball crew is really coming together, the little girls crack me up!

Got our 1st game with the 8U team tomorrow...the REAL Friday Night Lights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daughter's t-ball experience:

She's now a multi-time national champion competitive cheerleader.

One of my favorite pics of all time of her.

And yes...that was during a game.

Comment

My daughter's t-ball experience:

She's now a multi-time national champion competitive cheerleader.

One of my favorite pics of all time of her.

And yes...that was during a game.
                              That's greatness, lol

Good luck to her in Cheer - I have 2 that compete. What gym?

What tournaments do we have going on this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                                That's greatness, lol

Good luck to her in Cheer - I have 2 that compete. What gym?

What tournaments do we have going on this weekend?
                                She's been with WE since she was 3ish-4 (shortly after this pic was taken lol).. out of Oakridge and Magnolia

we have a 7U tourney at scrapyards

Comment

Working...
                                X