No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It goes by quick. A buddy told me years ago that coach pitch years were the best...and I must say we had the most fun during those years. As they get older, the game slows down, gets more serious, parents get older and there is no longer tball moms on the next field over....to quote my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
      That's basically all it is. The older team is fully funded and 16 of the 18 kids are committed to either a Big 12 or SEC school. I think that organization has a pretty good feel for what they're doing. Their alumni speak for itself.

The younger guys are just under $40k divided by 15 players and two full time coaches. They are currently the top ranked team in the county and compete nationally. These guys also have a good grasp on the game. Do the math...it's no more expensive per player than any of these teams that carry 10-11 players and wear them down every weekend. Our catchers don't pitch. They don't catch back to back games. Our pitchers sit prior to their start and usually after as well.

That's a broad stroke statement to "find a new organization." It's worked very well for both of my boys and we couldn't be happier. To each their own.
      It's far from a broad stroke statement there are plenty of organization that sign kids to the next level and spend nowhere near that money, if it has worked for your kids and your happy great. I have seen good independent teams turn out some studs as well at $50 a month plus tournament fees so it happens you just have to work harder to get the looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
        It's far from a broad stroke statement there are plenty of organization that sign kids to the next level and spend nowhere near that money, if it has worked for your kids and your happy great. I have seen good independent teams turn out some studs as well at $50 a month plus tournament fees so it happens you just have to work harder to get the looks.
        I don't disagree with any of what you said. Not one bit. The broad stroke statement was the assumption that these clubs are overpriced and ripping people off and how I should find a new organization. Kids go to the next level based on their skill set. Period. Do these clubs help...sure they do. My point was that a $40k budget with 15 players is no different than the $30k budget with 11. I haven't seen too many of these clubs that provide coaches not fall somewhere in the $2k-$3k range for a Spring Summer season. So the big number is rather irrelevant. If dad is still coaching the team and the team plays only locally, then the cost can greatly be reduced. But if they have paid coaches and any travel, the team will easily push a $30k+ budget.

Comment

welp, looks like a 5am wake up call tomorrow for an 8am game in grapevine against spitfire then at 945 against the banditos, excited to see how they play after a pretty good scrimmage monday night.

good luck to all you guys with littles playing this weekend

Comment

Good luck to you too.. we have tough games tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              This weekend is the Triple Crown Season Opener, most of the good dfw teams will be playing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              8:00am and 10:00am Pool Play Games for us in Plano. Good times!

11U Division 2 (AAA)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                8:00am and 10:00am Pool Play Games for us in Plano. Good times!

11U Division 2 (AAA)

My Neighbor's kid is playing there tomorrow at 12 and 2. He is 13u majors D-bat. We are playing in Euless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are many "firsts" you remember as a parent, and I got to witness one today. My son gave up his first dong. I knew it as soon as it left the bat.

Nothing like watching your pride and joy out there on the mound, huge grin on his face, bringin' heat, only to see one get turned around just as fast as it came in.

We ended up 1 and 1 and are looking at an 8am game again tomorrow

Comment

Select Baseball

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    There are many "firsts" you remember as a parent, and I got to witness one today. My son gave up his first dong. I knew it as soon as it left the bat.

Nothing like watching your pride and joy out there on the mound, huge grin on his face, bringin' heat, only to see one get turned around just as fast as it came in.

We ended up 1 and 1 and are looking at an 8am game again tomorrow

My son gave up his first last weekend...to Shinn-Soo Choo's son. I was a no-brainer BOMB!

We went 2-0 today at Triple Crown Opener. Some pics.

Last edited by ShockValue; 03-04-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Two tough games but the boys played well... couple brain fart mistakes but proud of them..
                      Another game tomorrow...hopefully the can pull one out and keep it going
                      Last edited by systemnt; 03-04-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Our boys went 1-1 yesterday. My son pitched first game of pool play. He had a no hitter through 3 when the coach pulled him. Pitch count was at 40. Thats all he allows on pool play day. Hes very careful with Aiden. Wont let him go over 70 in any given game regardless. He did go over once last year as he was 1 out from a no-no last year and he wanted him to get it. Gave up a questionable single to second. Shoulda been an error, lol, but he did very well otherwise.

Comment

Select Baseball

This does not go for everyone who has posted on this thread but, after reading pages of posts, it's clear that a number of you have put a lot of eggs in this basket. Many of you have talented kids and you're imagining what life would be like as a parent of a professional athlete. Trust me, you don't need that kind of pressure and neither do your kids.

First off, I don't fault anyone for putting their kids in select sports but please keep things in perspective (see stats below). I know tons of little league "studs" who thought their dominance would never cease. Many of them were the alphas through the end of high school and, since the day the stopped playing ball, they have struggled to make the transition to life outside of sports. Why is this?

In my opinion, it's because parents/coaches praise talent and not skill. Talent is something you're born with and skill is something you have to work at to develop. Athletic talent doesn't translate to life outside of sports, however, the discipline required to develop an athletic skill is the same discipline that will help your kids succeed in sports, college, law, sales, accounting, entrepreneurship, etc.

Good luck to all you dads out there and I wish your kids the best in their upcoming games! Just remember that there are baseball lessons and there are life lessons. While they are not the same, they are not mutually exclusive either!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Buckley99; 03-04-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Edit... not worth it... right to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                              This does not go for everyone who has posted on this thread but, after reading pages of posts, it's clear that a number of you have put a lot of eggs in this basket. Many of you have talented kids and you're imagining what life would be like as a parent of a professional athlete. Trust me, you don't need that kind of pressure and neither do your kids.

First off, I don't fault anyone for putting their kids in select sports but please keep things in perspective (see stats below). I know tons of little league "studs" who thought their dominance would never cease. Many of them were the alphas through the end of high school and, since the day the stopped playing ball, they have struggled to make the transition to life outside of sports. Why is this?

In my opinion, it's because parents/coaches praise talent and not skill. Talent is something you're born with and skill is something you have to work at to develop. Athletic talent doesn't translate to life outside of sports, however, the discipline required to develop an athletic skill is the same discipline that will help your kids succeed in sports, college, law, sales, accounting, entrepreneurship, etc.

Good luck to all you dads out there and I wish your kids the best in their upcoming games! Just remember that there are baseball lessons and there are life lessons. While they are not the same, they are not mutually exclusive either!
                              <yawn>

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                Edit... not worth it... right to the list.

First rounder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X