X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck everybody

Comment

Howd everybody do?
      Tanner had his first select team game (scrimmage) against the Kings black this weekend and he and his team did well pulling out the win 14-12.
      Kings were a good ball club with some big kids.
      He had strong at bats and great job catching.
      It was a good indicator for what we can expect at our tournament this weekend (be seeing this team again)

Comment

nice, good luck this weekend

our first tournament was a bit rough, we are a 6u team playing 7uAA though and had a tough draw, so it wasnt totally surprising. our boys just havent faced kids hitting the ball like they did this weekend and our fielding seemed to always be a step slow. we lost our first pool game to the team that ended up winning the tourney, tied our 2nd pool game then lost our first bracket game on sunday to the team that got 2nd.

tournaments at 6yo is ridiculous i know, but i leave it up to him if he wants to play or not and we enjoy the family time we get all weekend.

my 9yo has his first scrimmage tonight and first tourney this weekend, very interested to see how it goes. i watched 2 of the teams we will be competing with this season play saturday and it was pretty rough, in 2 innings i didnt see one hit and only 2 boys even put the bat on the ball, the pitching was struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          nice, good luck this weekend

our first tournament was a bit rough, we are a 6u team playing 7uAA though and had a tough draw, so it wasnt totally surprising. our boys just havent faced kids hitting the ball like they did this weekend and our fielding seemed to always be a step slow. we lost our first pool game to the team that ended up winning the tourney, tied our 2nd pool game then lost our first bracket game on sunday to the team that got 2nd.

tournaments at 6yo is ridiculous i know, but i leave it up to him if he wants to play or not and we enjoy the family time we get all weekend.

my 9yo has his first scrimmage tonight and first tourney this weekend, very interested to see how it goes. i watched 2 of the teams we will be competing with this season play saturday and it was pretty rough, in 2 innings i didnt see one hit and only 2 boys even put the bat on the ball, the pitching was struggling.
          9U is first year of kid pitch isn't it?
          yeh that's gotta be a painful period...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            9U is first year of kid pitch isn't it?
            yeh that's gotta be a painful period...
            Yes, we started kid pitch in the fall and it was better than I expected but still pretty rough. The boys like it because they get to pitch and steal bases but it really slows down for the parents watching. A good catcher that can move and block is invaluable. And kids that can throw strikes, doesn't matter how hard, just GET IT OVER THE PLATE!

On that note, my son was informed 2 weeks ago he will be #2 catcher because we lost the kid that was supposed to fill that role. I'm assuming he will get quite a bit of work tonight at the scrimmage...if it doesn't rain.

Comment

13U and baseball finally got situational with the bigger field.
              Kids are getting thrown out stealing now.

My oldest boy is a catcher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jd2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	24486243

But got to pitch Saturday afternoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jd1r.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	24486242

We played a 14U AA team and he pitched 2 innings.
              Struck out 4.
              Gave up a run.
              We got beat, but that boy was jacked-up excited to be on the mound.

Good weekend.

Comment

awesome.
                We had a good weekend here as well.. boy and his team did great - and 9 yearold daughter won a national championship in Dallas in competitive cheer.
                Had a tired household yesterday

another scrimmage Tuesday then the march tourney at scrapyards this weekend..

Comment

We had a great opening weekend for spring ball!! The boys played amazing ball, and walked away from the first tournament of the season in first place! We play both nations and usssa. This tournament was a nations tournament played at doss park, next week we play usssa at field of dreams. I love this time of year!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                    13U and baseball finally got situational with the bigger field.
                    Kids are getting thrown out stealing now.

My oldest boy is a catcher.

[ATTACH]843251[/ATTACH]

But got to pitch Saturday afternoon.

[ATTACH]843250[/ATTACH]

We played a 14U AA team and he pitched 2 innings.
                    Struck out 4.
                    Gave up a run.
                    We got beat, but that boy was jacked-up excited to be on the mound.

Good weekend.
                    Where was that? We also play all of the normal venues in the Austin area. Didn't recognize that field.

Comment

Best advice I could've received when playing select ball is choose wisely who you give your money to. Go to as many try outs as you can, and make it a try out for you just as much as it is for them. Make sure you like the coach, look around and evaluate some of the talent trying out, make sure the team has a couple of decent catchers. Nothing worse than paying 2-3k for a crappy team with a coach out of touch with reality. Nothing better than finding a solid team with a group of guys you love playing with all summer. BE CAUTIOUS of the D-bats and Dallas Patriots that have 10 different 12u teams. They're great if you're on one of the top 2-3, but the others will take anyone with a daddy willing to write a check. There's tons of great programs out there, just make sure you find the right one and don't be scared to move on if you aren't happy with where yall are at.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                        Where was that? We also play all of the normal venues in the Austin area. Didn't recognize that field.
                        Top pic is from a tournament 2 weekends ago at the Shiner Starplex.
                        We lost to the Brewers in the Championship.
                        Thought that was a cool name for a team from Shiner.

Bottom pic is from the Field of Dreams in Henley, we were playing in the Dust the rust tourney.

Comment

Quick and personal question. I'm in Allen, TX - North of Dallas, and looking at possibly getting the kiddo into Select for either Spring or Fall (Not both).

I know there's a big difference in the price of each season. Would yall mind sharing what you spend per season?

Patriots was approx $2500 for the Spring - Tribe was $1200, so there has been a big variation.

Comment

Those prices are about right. I don't think you can really compare the 2 as I believe Patriots are pretty big organization and run well. Go watch a game of both clubs and see what you think. Fall ball is very short and spring ball is really the whole "season". For the money spring is better. Just be prepared for a lot of expenses and just about every weekend from February until the end of June taken. That's Saturday and Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                              Quick and personal question. I'm in Allen, TX - North of Dallas, and looking at possibly getting the kiddo into Select for either Spring or Fall (Not both).

I know there's a big difference in the price of each season. Would yall mind sharing what you spend per season?

Patriots was approx $2500 for the Spring - Tribe was $1200, so there has been a big variation.
                              we are with the dallas tigers and the spring is about $1650 with 8 tournaments but we have a coach with a field in his backyard so we don't have to pay for practice facilities. last fall we were around $1000 but got it all paid for with a raffle.

I would check with the NTX eagles, they are out of allen. their 9u team skipped 8u coach pitch and played 9u kid pitch last year and did really well, even winning a few tourneys I believe. they are currently the best 9u team around dfw.

their 7u team just won the tournament my younger son was in, they beat us 20-1 in the first game on Saturday and didn't lose all weekend.

they are a great organization, but may charge like one as well

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
                                Best advice I could've received when playing select ball is choose wisely who you give your money to. Go to as many try outs as you can, and make it a try out for you just as much as it is for them. Make sure you like the coach, look around and evaluate some of the talent trying out, make sure the team has a couple of decent catchers. Nothing worse than paying 2-3k for a crappy team with a coach out of touch with reality. Nothing better than finding a solid team with a group of guys you love playing with all summer. BE CAUTIOUS of the D-bats and Dallas Patriots that have 10 different 12u teams. They're great if you're on one of the top 2-3, but the others will take anyone with a daddy willing to write a check. There's tons of great programs out there, just make sure you find the right one and don't be scared to move on if you aren't happy with where yall are at.
                                Why would it matter if the clubs mentioned had 20 teams in each age group? They place the kids on the team best suited to their skill set right?

Comment

Working...
                                X