Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats!! should have killed the doe too. LOL

Comment

Bucks showing very little interest still in Duval county. Of course it was windy as crap today an high 70's.
      Saw same Ol deer, a bobcat , and these corn rats.

Comment

Drove HWY 141, not much going on during peak vector times. My place is very slow, only seeing deer on gamecams at night just N of Kingsville. I did have an axis young buck and doe show up at one of my set ups. Mid day. Nice surprise for that area. I wonder who planted them? The King Ranch doesn't. My place is between the TAMUK campus and the Ag farm N of town.

Any good words of wisdom if the bucks will start a second rut? Time is running out!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtestamentman View Post
          Drove HWY 141, not much going on during peak vector times. My place is very slow, only seeing deer on gamecams at night just N of Kingsville. I did have an axis young buck and doe show up at one of my set ups. Mid day. Nice surprise for that area. I wonder who planted them? The King Ranch doesn't. My place is between the TAMUK campus and the Ag farm N of town.

Any good words of wisdom if the bucks will start a second rut? Time is running out!

I'm wondering the same thing. We're about 30 mins west of Kingsville and someone has been there just about every weekend for the month of December and haven't noticed anything. I just got back today and we're headed back Friday.
          I blame it on this hot arse weather. Lol

Comment

South Texas Hunters 2016 Thread

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
            I'm wondering the same thing. We're about 30 mins west of Kingsville and someone has been there just about every weekend for the month of December and haven't noticed anything. I just got back today and we're headed back Friday.
            I blame it on this hot arse weather. Lol

This year has me confused as heck. I saw a few chasing but nothing crazy. Just when I though it was going to take off it went from 40 as a high to 75 and windy[emoji30]. I will be down Thursday thru Wednesday to catch the end of the season for me. I would see a mature buck chase a doe off corn but would come back to the corn and eat next to them. Last year I would see bucks chasing does hard off the corn and had deer running across the sendaro's full blast and my head was in a swivel. This year I never saw it.

If I had to guess the peak rut happened the 1st 10 days of December and I missed it. I hunted Thanksgiving week and left Wednesday before thanksgiving and saw you bucks sparing but the bucks were still together. I came back and hunted December 15th-20th and it almost seemed like the beginning or the tail end of the rut. So I'm guessing peak was 1st of December to the 7th or 7th through the 14th. Either way I wasn't there lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Black Ice; 12-27-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtestamentman View Post

I know exactly the area you are hunting. Used to see a lot of deer in that area when we farted around the rodeo arena chasing bulls and such. Good area to hunt

Comment

Down at the lease this past weekend west of Pearsall and didn't see any bucks interested in does. In between times I guess. Heading out this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  This year has me confused as heck. I saw a few chasing but nothing crazy. Just when I though it was going to take off it went from 40 as a high to 75 and windy[emoji30]. I will be down Thursday thru Wednesday to catch the end of the season for me. I would see a mature buck chase a doe off corn but would come back to the corn and eat next to them. Last year I would see bucks chasing does hard off the corn and had deer running across the sendaro's full blast and my head was in a swivel. This year I never saw it.

If I had to guess the peak rut happened the 1st 10 days of December and I missed it. I hunted Thanksgiving week and left Wednesday before thanksgiving and saw you bucks sparing but the bucks were still together. I came back and hunted December 15th-20th and it almost seemed like the beginning or the tail end of the rut. So I'm guessing peak was 1st of December to the 7th or 7th through the 14th. Either way I wasn't there lol.

I hear ya.
                  We were talking to a guy that hunts the back part of the ranch and he said the rut hit last year on the last weekend of season. Said bucks were going crazy.
                  I was thinkin maybe that was the secondary rut??? But then again, the fawns this year sure seemed to be younger, so you never know.
                  Maybe it'll be the same thing this year after some cold weather hits. If it ever does. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

I agree I was there the 8th when we had that cold snap and that was the best activity I seen. I stayed 16-23 and it was not even close

Comment

Seems like allot of us are crying the blues.
                      Yes, allot of deer in that area.
                      Only saw new good bucks after the cold snap and none since.
                      Found one decent buck rub on my place and one scrape.
                      Is that also happening to you all down here?
                      Little to no sign of rubs/scrapes?
                      This is weird.
                      I expect a huge turn on sometime soon, something has to give.

I always thought photo period was all it would take, but the full moon and heat seem to have impacted the rut this year.

Comment

A lot of times when I've hunted around Kingsville the rut seemed to happen around Thanksgiving, I've shot several bucks the week of or week after Thanksgiving. This year I shot a nice buck in the area on December 19th, when it was really cold. He was the first mature buck I've seen in the area chasing does this year.

Comment

Unbelievable weather this week [emoji35]. Historically I look forward to the week after Christmas every year on the ranches I hunt in Webb and Zapata county. What a complete bust as I couldn't even hunt my N wind bow spots and they were on fire according to my trail cams...most of my hunting group/sphere is pretty frustrated this year.

Comment

Rattled this one in yesterday a little after 10 am for a guest. Was almost 80 degrees. Rattled bucks at two other spots that came in on a string earlier around 9 am . Didn't want to try for it being so hot. But it was their last day in, so I gave it a shot. Main frame 8 with two small kickers 152 7/8s.

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X