Yote/ rooster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yote/ rooster

I want to shoot a yote with my bow, I'm thinking about taking one of my roosters to the lease and tying a string around it's leg and staking it out, this otta' get em' huh? anybody ever tried a live chicken as "bait"

I've been thinking about for years, never tried it. I have some hens that are getting pretty old....

Think I heard somewhere that if you tie out two of them, close but not close enough to get at each other, they will keep active and be better bait.

Comment

Hang them upside down in a tree by their feet. It works.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
        Hang them upside down in a tree by their feet. It works.
        Really? Seems like they calm down pretty quick when you hang them upside down. I thought they passed out, or something.

Comment

It works. Never tried to hang them upside down. Mornings work best when they start crowing.

Comment

Its the fluttering around they do when you hang them that way that attracts the varmints.

A distressed baby goat actually works better than anything.

Comment

Is that legal, seem's like PETA would have your butt for live baiting. I just take my son when he's crying, haha just kidding!

Comment

Been wondering the same thing about yard birds as yote and cat attractor.

Jaspro- What does hanging them upside down do?

Comment

Peta has no power. Thank God. But I do think live baiting is illegal unless you fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brannon74 View Post
                    Peta has no power. Thank God. But I do think live baiting is illegal unless you fishing.
                    No power but they would have you on every news channel and paper in the country. I personally wouldn't do it even if it was legal. Would you tie up a deer?

Comment

Originally posted by Brannon74 View Post
                      you are varmit hunting, you can hunt them at night with a spot light so i would not see baiting them being illegal. Just my .02 and would probably not hold up in court if i am wrong

Comment

I am 95% sure it is legal to use live bait for NONGAME animals. Many live traps have boxes to hold live bait( mainly chickens). I know of at least one state trapper that will tie a goat when trying to remove mountain lions.

Comment

To avoid the "live bait" controversy, just chop their heads off and let them flop around. Only problem is you need a whole lot more chickens using that method.

Comment

Oh, use a bait box or you will have to buy a lot of roosters

Comment

Originally posted by TXJon View Post
                              Really? Seems like they calm down pretty quick when you hang them upside down. I thought they passed out, or something.
                              Leave them so that part of their body is touching the ground, wingtips, head, it does not matter. So long as something is constantly touching them they will never calm down.

I have seen an old hen trash around for an hour non stop, providing multiple shot opportunities.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X