X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang that's a heck of a haul!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have any tips on how to keep cucumbers fresh? We're at the point that we're picking 6-8 a week now and within a day or two they are getting real soft. Doesn't matter if we put them in the fridge or leave them on the counter.

Also, I'm trying to talk the wife into making pickles with some of them. Anyone have any recipes for some bread and butter pickles?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464794022399.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	24445842Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464794032513.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	24445843Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464794043426.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	24445844Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464794051230.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	24445845
        Creek came over and through the garden. While it will survive, it's a mess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bummer man.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
            Anyone have any tips on how to keep cucumbers fresh? We're at the point that we're picking 6-8 a week now and within a day or two they are getting real soft. Doesn't matter if we put them in the fridge or leave them on the counter.

Also, I'm trying to talk the wife into making pickles with some of them. Anyone have any recipes for some bread and butter pickles?

25 cucumbers,
            6 onions,
            2 green bell peppers,
            8 cloves garlic,
            1/2 cup salt
            3 cups cider vinegar
            3 cups white sugar
            3 tablespoons mustard seed
            1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
            1 tablespoon ground turmeric

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
              25 cucumbers,
              6 onions,
              2 green bell peppers,
              8 cloves garlic,
              1/2 cup salt
              3 cups cider vinegar
              3 cups white sugar
              3 tablespoons mustard seed
              1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
              1 tablespoon ground turmeric

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post

I put mine in Tupperware with water in it. I keep them in the refrigerator until I have enough for a couple of quarts. One they really start producing, I just put them in the vegetable drawer until I pickle them.

Comment

Do yall have any tips on preserving potatos? All my plants stared to kill over so I went ahead an pulled them. I have about a 5 gallon bucket full to deal with.

Comment

Couple questions. My squash plants aren't doing much fruit wise, they will put on fruit but it doesn't hardly grow, and i've even had a few rot on the plant while only 3" or so long. I've been told I may have squash borer worms. Does this sound right to y'all? I was told Neem Oil or Ivory Soap water mixture sprayed on the leaves can help prevent this in the future and sprinkling plain oats around my plants will prevent grubs from getting to the roots. Does any/all of this sound familiar and correct?

Also, my okra. These plants are getting about 20" tall now and still not putting on any fruit really. The buds will grow into 'okra' and get about an inch long and that's it. Anybody know what might be causing this?

My pepper plants are doing pretty decent, wouldn't say great, but at least they're putting on fruit and it's growing...

Comment

no pollination. if you get really desperate, you can take a qtip and go out about daybreak in the morning. use the qtip to pick up pollen from the male flowers and polinate the female flowers. the females will have the tiny fruit at the bottom. the flowers are only open at night and early in the morning

you may also have borers, but by your description, you have a pollination problem. with borers, the plant will just suddenly wilt and die. they are easy to diagnose. if you find holes in the vines with what looks like wet sawdust around them, then you have borers. spraying the leaves does nothing to prevent borers, gotta spray the stems and do it almost daily. once they have bored into the vine, spraying pesticide will not kill them. once inside, you really only have 2 options to try and save the plant. either inject the vine with BT, or slice the vine open and remove the worm and then cover the area with dirt. I havent had any luck with either option and borers have always meant dead plants for me. got me the last 3 years! only way I know to prevent them is use row covers and hand polinate. ill buy squash before I go through that much trouble!

again, you arent getting good (or any) polination by what you describe. find someone that keeps honeybees and see if they will put a hive close to your garden. that or hand polinate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by fishingsetx; 06-02-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

The plant does look very healthy, so I will check the base of it to see if it looks like borers have gotten into it. As for the pollination, I could see that being an issue. Never really see bees around the house right now. Is that possibly my problem with the okra also? Plants are big and getting bigger but im still waiting on okra!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                          The plant does look very healthy, so I will check the base of it to see if it looks like borers have gotten into it. As for the pollination, I could see that being an issue. Never really see bees around the house right now. Is that possibly my problem with the okra also? Plants are big and getting bigger but im still waiting on okra!

with the squash, and going off your description, im 90% sure its polination causing your issues.

as for the okra, its possible. its also bee really wet, cloudy, and cool. heck, i havent even planted mine yet because of the weather! okra likes it hot and dry!

Comment

We just have a small garden. It's just me and the wife but everything we have in there has died. We have 2 jalapeƱo plants that are hanging on, everything else is gondy.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                              with the squash, and going off your description, im 90% sure its polination causing your issues.

as for the okra, its possible. its also bee really wet, cloudy, and cool. heck, i havent even planted mine yet because of the weather! okra likes it hot and dry!

Ive been told that about the okra. Hopefully they can hang on for dryer hotter weather. If they do they should be well matured!

Comment

My little garden is exploding! I've gotten lucky and timed fertilizing perfect with the rain. I'm gonna have tomatoes coming out of my ears pretty soon they all seem to be staying in sync with each other.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X