No announcement yet.

2016 garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a buddy at work that is setting one up this weekend........if it isn't pouring down rain.....I'm gonna try and pull some squash, zucchini and cucumber up and see if he can transplant them.

Comment

If anyone can use some Big Boy tomatoes, I have these "extra" that I started from heirloom organic seed back in December. I always start more than I need and this year I had a 100% germination rate!

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

I've got to remember to take some pics of my bride's garden... She's so proud of it. It is her first real garden since we were kids. Everything actually came up!! Her potatoes have been hilled twice. She's got little green 'maters, and little green jalapenos, and squash. Her tame black berries are going crazy, and her citrus trees are covered in either fruit or blooms...

Me, I'm bracing for the day she comes out to find everything eaten to the ground!! Day after I tilled the ground, there were deer tracks in the garden... She's talked about a fence, but so far hasn't pulled the trigger on actually asking me to put one up... been too dang busy with that chicken coop she's got me buildin'... more like a chicken mansion if you ask me!! It's all fun though...

Comment

I'll post pics of mine tmo. First one for me but I went all out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
            They will cover your box completely, choking out your bells! This is why I put the fencing in mine as a barrier.

~Michael
            What's the best way to thin them? Should I try to pull them or just clip down at ground with scissors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
              What's the best way to thin them? Should I try to pull them or just clip down at ground with scissors?

Cut them if you pull them you could damage the roots to the plant next to them

Comment

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to verify. Thanks

Comment

Got the squash and zucchini thinned out, still might have to do some more later. I was able to dig some up and am going to try and get them to a guy at work tomorrow.

Comment

I was late getting mine built and filled, but we beat the rains yesterday.

Comment

Yall's gardens are looking good! I spent a few hours in mine yesterday preparing for the big rains. I built up the rows more, mulched in most of my plants and caged my tomatoes. Hopefully I miss all the flooding rains (8+") and just get a couple.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great lookin gardens! Mine is coming along nicely! Got blooms on my tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries. Everything else is growing like crazy. Ill be putting in some okra in the next week or two. Still kinda cool.

Man, yall plant those squash close! I normally plant them a minimum of 36" apart and still have problems with them trying to shade each other out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                          Great lookin gardens! Mine is coming along nicely! Got blooms on my tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries. Everything else is growing like crazy. Ill be putting in some okra in the next week or two. Still kinda cool.

Man, yall plant those squash close! I normally plant them a minimum of 36" apart and still have problems with them trying to shade each other out!!!

My entire garden this Spring has been an experiment and one that I feel we will stick to. I combined two different styles, Back to Eden Gardening and Square Foot Gardening. Thus far the results have been very productive. I totally ignored conventional rules and just went for it. I can't wait to see it in a month!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post

Man, yall plant those squash close! I normally plant them a minimum of 36" apart and still have problems with them trying to shade each other

This is my first garden and I didn't expect dang near 100% germination. With the small raised bed I wasn't sure how far apart to plant. Now I know for next year.

Comment

~Michael

Comment

looking good Michael!

I need to get some ground cover on mine, carrots are breaking through. Hopefully this weeks rain won’t be too bad, already got a couple inches since last night

Comment

Working...
                                X