That moment when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
    When I was about 17 I was ranch handing for a guy. He had taken a tractor into town for new tires and brought it back and left it on the trailer. I had a hot date or something that evening but needed to go feed cows before I left. Hauled butt up to the barn unhooked tie downs on the tractor and fired it up. Threw in in reverse and was lining up with the ramps. When the weight of the tractor got behind the axles of the deckover gooseneck I realized I probably should have hooked a truck backup to the trailer. Front of the trailer popped up so I throw it in forward and drive back up to the front of the trailer. Problem was the barn and trailer were up on a decent little hill. I got the front of the trailer back down, but it was already too late, we were headed down hill and picking up speed. I look behind me and we are headed right towards the pipe corrals. I'm thinking about how much this could hurt and weather I should bale off or not. Right about the time I decide I'm not gonna ride it out and getting ready to jump, I hit some pipes laying on the ground. Fortunately it turned the trailer just enough to redirect the path to the trap were all the hay was stacked. That oughta soften the blow I'm in for the ride. Tore up about 30 yards of fence and busted about 10 round bales, but tractor and trailer were unscathed. Boss was sitting on his back porch watching the whole thing unfold. I seen him driving to where I was and thinking I was about to get fired. He gets out of the truck laughing about the hardest I ever seen him laugh. With head hung low I apologize while he is still laughing, I finally get the courage to ask what was so funny. He catches his breath enough to ask me if I really thought pumping the breaks on the tractor the whole time was going to help. Apparently just out of instinct I was wearing them tractor brakes out most of the ride. I kept my job and after some fence repairs we had some good laughs about it. Hindsight I should of just kept on coming off the trailer, and it would have had a better outcome.
    Dude I am crying right now. That was a great write up and detailed enough for me to laugh with you and not at you. Glad you did not get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
      Dude I am crying right now. That was a great write up and detailed enough for me to laugh with you and not at you. Glad you did not get hurt.
      It still gives me a good laugh when I think about it. Raging teenage boys don't always think things through haha.

Comment

I have a few. Last one was getting stuck at the lease in a little drainage crossing after watching my old man go through it with an identical truck pulling a loaded trailer. After getting me out I realized that I had not turned off the anti-skid feature on the truck. It killed all the engine power as soon as I started spinning.

A funny one at the boat ramp that happened to my buddy. We went out in two boats. My dad and I launched ours and then my buddy backed his up and was going to have his girlfriend pull the trailer out and park the truck. She gets in and you can hear the truck revving up but it is rolling backwards into the lake. She hits the brakes and starts panicking and screaming at him that something is wrong with the truck. The rear bumper is under water at this point. Dad pulls up close and I bail off to go help her. She thought it was in drive but had it in neutral. Should have seen her face as I shifted it into drive. I still give her a hard time about that.

Comment

One time me and some buddies had gone out to eat. We get done they walked out while I was paying and said they would meet me at the house. I jump in my truck that is a 4X4 5 speed manual and put it in reverse let the clutch out and nothing happens. I mess with it a little and scratch my head and call them up and tell them to bring a chain to tow me back.
          They pull up and get out laughing. My buddy walks over to my truck and takes my transfer case out of neutral puts it back in 4x2 and pats me on the back. I still catch h#ll over that.

Comment

Unfortunately, my most recent was witnessed by bow tech at CCR. I wanted to chrono my GT500 for the first time. 1st shot was great, but I draw back on the second shot and didn't put my thumb behind the release trigger. I bounced off the backwall and right back through the valley and my thumb was there to catch it. THWACK!! Arrow glanced off the light shield bar and into the backstop nocking a fletching off. Embarrassed, but no damage done.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
              Unfortunately, my most recent was witnessed by bow tech at CCR. I wanted to chrono my GT500 for the first time. 1st shot was great, but I draw back on the second shot and didn't put my thumb behind the release trigger. I bounced off the backwall and right back through the valley and my thumb was there to catch it. THWACK!! Arrow glanced off the light shield bar and into the backstop nocking a fletching off. Embarrassed, but no damage done.
              Who from BowTech was there?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                I have a bad habit of forgetting that I have a trailer behind me. You can imagine that that could cause a problem or three.

Me too [emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by texanatc View Post
                  Went hunting, using boat to get way back. Took boat key with me so it wouldn't drive off without me. Going to leave and boat wouldn't start. Tried for 20 min and no go. So I start walking the shore with boat in tow.

I flagged another boater and they tow me back to the ramp. Load up go home(hour drive) and try to figure out what's wrong. I test everything and all seems normal. Pull out the manual and in big writing step 3 was kill switch.

Yep I pulled the kill switch off and forgot about it. Plug it back in and fired right up. So mad at myself for that.
                  Done that myself on my pull start. I rarely put the lanyard on, as the only time it's at greater than idle speed is loading it on the trailer. Yanked and yanked and yanked and it wouldn't start. Load it back on the trailer and head to the house. Get home and pull the cowling and then I notice the kill switch dangling......

Comment

High School days...
                    I was trimming a couple of dead branches out of an old pecan tree by the house. I used a rope to climb into the tree and pull my chainsaw up after me. After I cut the first dead limb I was going to move up and cut the other one, when I dropped my rope. So there I was, 20 feet up a tree, no rope and a chainsaw. I thought about all kinds of scenarios to get down but eventually settled on trying to jump to the next tree that had a lower branch I could catch hold of. I dropped the chainsaw and made herculean jump to catch that branch; I missed by at least six feet!

One year we found an old parachute on the river; we used it for lots of cool things. One day, we decided to try and use it as a parachute. We carefully folded it and tied it to my Yamaha 125 dirt bike. We had a pretty high bluff we jumped off of at the river, probably 85 feet or so. So there I am, holding the parachute on the seat behind me, goosed the bike all the way, dropped it into gear and took off from the top of the cliff. When I let the parachute go it was like nothing happened; I'm not sure how fast I was going when I hit, but it hurt.

But now I'm in the water with what felt like a thousand yards of nylon on top of me, and it was being dragged down by the weight of my bike. I don't know if you've ever tried to swim through nylon but it's impossible. My pocket knife saved me that day.

We used to lock the trigger down on the belt sanders in shop class because it was funny to watch people plug them in and then they take off like a rocket. Well, I did it one day and the sander jumped off the bench and busted a hole through the wall into the teachers office, while he was in the office.

I once sharpened the blade on my lawnmower and then put it back on backwards. My wife mows the lawn so it wasn't caught until she was about halfway done; she cam to get me to see what was going on with the mower. A backwards mower blade sure makes pretty designs in the grass!

I once put white gas (Kerosene) in an alcohol stove; I never knew Aluminum would actually catch fire and burn!

One summer we were out in the pasture rounding up the goats to get them sheered. We cam across this bald on a ridge at the ranch and a little buck jumps up. I already had my rope out with a loop on it so I just roped this little deer. I was riding an Appaloosa gelding that wasn't afraid of anything, we called him Mad Max. This little deer didn't know the rules and when Max tried to back into the rope the deer went crazy! He ran around, under over and back and forth; I was literally tied to the horse and, of course, Max was freaking out as well. I had to cut a perfectly good lariat. I've never seen my Grandpa laugh so hard in all my life!

A Prank that backfired...
                    I killed a big ol' rattlesnake one year at deer camp. One of the hunters was scared to death of snakes so we put the snake in his bedroll. He was on the top bunk right above me. As he was climbing into bed I was killing myself trying not to laugh; when he found the snake he jumped and thrashed so hard his bunk fell through, right on top of me!

On the same lease we had two rifle hunters, I wired a megaphone to sound a siren when one of them opened the windows to his blind. I put the megaphone on top of the blind so it would be near impossible to get to without a ladder. His blind was about 150 yards from my tripod, which I was hunting that morning. I had a nice shooter come in and give me a perfect shot, just as I get drawn the siren blast started. The deer got a little antsy and moved away, but still within range; but I was laughing so hard I could even draw my bow!

Comment

Originally posted by kingchip View Post
                      I think that's a right of passage with chainsaws.
                      I work with a fella that used to have a very, very short temper.

He bought a new chainsaw, took it out of the box and cranked it up. No matter what he did, he couldn't get the chain to turn. He proceeded to smash the chainsaw with a 5 lb mini sledge, shoved it all back in the box, and took it back to where he bought it.

They pulled it out of the box and showed him that the chain brake was set.

Comment

I have done the same dang thing, lol

Comment

I have a good one. I was young, and had just bought a new drop away rest. I was shooting first class man! I wanted to show my dad how it worked. I knocked an arrow and started to draw back... in the house. My old man tried to stop me, but it was too late. I was coming back. I get almost full draw when all of a sudden, WHACK! Arrow sticking half way out of the living room wall. I still remember dads face like it was yesterday when he looked at that arrow, then looked back at me. But my dumb@rse-ness doesnt stop there. I was confused as to why that happened, as I knew I didnt touch the release. So I hook on to my loop, with no arrow knocked, and try it again. I get almost back and it happened again. Dry fired it and my strings blew off. Turns out my release decided to call it quits. Learned two very valuable lessons that day.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                            I have a good one. I was young, and had just bought a new drop away rest. I was shooting first class man! I wanted to show my dad how it worked. I knocked an arrow and started to draw back... in the house. My old man tried to stop me, but it was too late. I was coming back. I get almost full draw when all of a sudden, WHACK! Arrow sticking half way out of the living room wall. I still remember dads face like it was yesterday when he looked at that arrow, then looked back at me. But my dumb@rse-ness doesnt stop there. I was confused as to why that happened, as I knew I didnt touch the release. So I hook on to my loop, with no arrow knocked, and try it again. I get almost back and it happened again. Dry fired it and my strings blew off. Turns out my release decided to call it quits. Learned two very valuable lessons that day.
                            Always listen to Dad and always check your gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              High School days...
                              I was trimming a couple of dead branches out of an old pecan tree by the house. I used a rope to climb into the tree and pull my chainsaw up after me. After I cut the first dead limb I was going to move up and cut the other one, when I dropped my rope. So there I was, 20 feet up a tree, no rope and a chainsaw. I thought about all kinds of scenarios to get down but eventually settled on trying to jump to the next tree that had a lower branch I could catch hold of. I dropped the chainsaw and made herculean jump to catch that branch; I missed by at least six feet!

One year we found an old parachute on the river; we used it for lots of cool things. One day, we decided to try and use it as a parachute. We carefully folded it and tied it to my Yamaha 125 dirt bike. We had a pretty high bluff we jumped off of at the river, probably 85 feet or so. So there I am, holding the parachute on the seat behind me, goosed the bike all the way, dropped it into gear and took off from the top of the cliff. When I let the parachute go it was like nothing happened; I'm not sure how fast I was going when I hit, but it hurt.

But now I'm in the water with what felt like a thousand yards of nylon on top of me, and it was being dragged down by the weight of my bike. I don't know if you've ever tried to swim through nylon but it's impossible. My pocket knife saved me that day.

We used to lock the trigger down on the belt sanders in shop class because it was funny to watch people plug them in and then they take off like a rocket. Well, I did it one day and the sander jumped off the bench and busted a hole through the wall into the teachers office, while he was in the office.

I once sharpened the blade on my lawnmower and then put it back on backwards. My wife mows the lawn so it wasn't caught until she was about halfway done; she cam to get me to see what was going on with the mower. A backwards mower blade sure makes pretty designs in the grass!

I once put white gas (Kerosene) in an alcohol stove; I never knew Aluminum would actually catch fire and burn!

One summer we were out in the pasture rounding up the goats to get them sheered. We cam across this bald on a ridge at the ranch and a little buck jumps up. I already had my rope out with a loop on it so I just roped this little deer. I was riding an Appaloosa gelding that wasn't afraid of anything, we called him Mad Max. This little deer didn't know the rules and when Max tried to back into the rope the deer went crazy! He ran around, under over and back and forth; I was literally tied to the horse and, of course, Max was freaking out as well. I had to cut a perfectly good lariat. I've never seen my Grandpa laugh so hard in all my life!

A Prank that backfired...
                              I killed a big ol' rattlesnake one year at deer camp. One of the hunters was scared to death of snakes so we put the snake in his bedroll. He was on the top bunk right above me. As he was climbing into bed I was killing myself trying not to laugh; when he found the snake he jumped and thrashed so hard his bunk fell through, right on top of me!

On the same lease we had two rifle hunters, I wired a megaphone to sound a siren when one of them opened the windows to his blind. I put the megaphone on top of the blind so it would be near impossible to get to without a ladder. His blind was about 150 yards from my tripod, which I was hunting that morning. I had a nice shooter come in and give me a perfect shot, just as I get drawn the siren blast started. The deer got a little antsy and moved away, but still within range; but I was laughing so hard I could even draw my bow!
                              Man, with all of that I don't think I want to be around if you ever say " Hold my beer and watch this "

Comment

Another one.

I've had many of the same chainsaw and similar boat launch gotchas over the years. My worst one still hurts every time I think about it!

I was preparing to haul a classic car long distance and running around all day dealing with trailer winch, new battery, replacing tie downs, chains and getting the car ready to go.

I'd planned to leave around 10 AM, and by this point it almost sun down. Finally ready to hook up the trailer, I start backing into my double gates and realize I cant see the tongue very well. Put the truck in park, get out open the tail gate and the rear window on the camper shell. All seems well now. I can see the trailer OK in the fading light. Put the truck in reverse and.....

CRASH....is all I hear when the rear window exploded as it was wedged against the cross member supporting the two tall gate posts on my double swinging gates.

All I could do is hang my head in shame. Nobody saw it, but it stays fresh in my mind every time I back through those gates!

Comment

Working...
                                X