No announcement yet.

Generators and Deer Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid $2300 for the Honda. I don't care if I coulda got it cheaper if I went here or there, or if I ordered here or there. The point is, when it's running and your 10 feet away from it and you can't heat it running. Freaking awesome. Go get ya some of that!!!!

Comment

Honda makes a good generator. Is their a way to convert your fridge, stove, water heater, heater over to propane and have propane delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by STONE KILLER View Post
        Well where I'm at we don't have electricity, and don't need Tvs or any of that's crap, we get by with buddy heaters and bottle water and if we want a shower go into town and pay money. Just not that fortunate

So you have nothing to add to the thread, then? [emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
          So you have nothing to add to the thread, then? [emoji1]

Yea I can, we actually have a Honda generator and there awesome!! Highly recommend it [emoji106]

Comment

yep

Originally posted by JWalker08 View Post
            As long as you are wearing the black tactical slippers you can do whatever you want!! Seriously though I'd probably want to camp away from others. I've been looking at a Sportsman generator that is 6500w and is duel fuel. I like the idea of using propane to keep from dealing with gas related issues, plus they are suppose to run off 5gal of propane at max load for over 9 hours. Chances are, a 100lb propane tank would last you all season and it'd be easy to keep a extra 5gal around just in case. The reviews on these are decent and the price seems real good. I've seen them at Home Depot shipped to your door for around 650-700.
            Guess I'll never live it down, the pic with the slippers, lol! Interesting idea you just proposed?!

Comment

Haha! I've got a place on the Llano river that is a long ways from a power source and don't think I want to fork over the cash to have electric run. I'd rather go the generator route and have a awesome view and be on the river opposed to have electricity. And the propane idea just seems to make sense.

Comment

Guys that are interested in using anything other that electric buy choice or necessity need to google "off the grid". I been interested in some land that there is no electricity available and checking into other means of power. Small cabin forum is a good source for information as well, some of these people live totally on solar and battery banks, pretty interesting.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
                  Guys that are interested in using anything other that electric buy choice or necessity need to google "off the grid". I been interested in some land that there is no electricity available and checking into other means of power. Small cabin forum is a good source for information as well, some of these people live totally on solar and battery banks, pretty interesting.
                  Would make an interesting read..I'll check it out

Comment

My Two cents-
                    Camped with generator for 25 years in south Texas.
                    Hate hauling gas, especially when it was high.
                    Cheap generators are loud and may not last
                    I would consider the electric camp for the luxury of immediate lights,
                    No cords, maintenance or noise. Plus phone chargers and fans. Age my have something to do with my choice.
                    I would consider a propane unit if I had to do it over again
                    FYI we cook outside most of the time , but a/c is run more often than not except during late season.
                    I run a propane light outside from a big bottle also.
                    Cheap and quiet.
                    Good luck and good for you to have options.

Comment

As long as you are wearing the black tactical slippers you can do whatever you want!! Seriously though I'd probably want to camp away from others. I've been looking at a Sportsman generator that is 6500w and is duel fuel. I like the idea of using propane to keep from dealing with gas related issues, plus they are suppose to run off 5gal of propane at max load for over 9 hours. Chances are, a 100lb propane tank would last you all season and it'd be easy to keep a extra 5gal around just in case. The reviews on these are decent and the price seems real good. I've seen them at Home Depot shipped to your door for around 650-700.
                      I have a diesel and its louder than my gasoline generator! dang near have to wear ear plugs

Comment

Had it both ways over the years. Did not the hassle of Generators or the noise. At this point in time I would go with Electricity.

Comment

That is actually not a bad way to go. I have an 8kw Generac backup generator that is designed to run temp power at your house in case of a power outage. It can run off propane or natural gas. I set it up at lease to power the cabin. Wired it into the panel and installed a remote on /off switch. Pros were/ didn't have to haul fuel. Had a 100# tank to run it. Could start from inside. Will run anything you can imagine at the lease. We actually ran 3 trailers off of it at one lease. Actually made a distribution panel of sorts and had breakers set up for each trailer so when 1 got overloaded it wouldn't trip everyone's breaker.

Cons were/ it was still noisy. It wasn't fuel consumption friendly, it would suck a regular bottle dry in about 6 hrs running 2 window units in the summer. Heavy as could be, so when you had to move it, it took 3 people. Expensive. Very sensitive to dirty filters and oil changes. Hard to move and store. Did I say big and heavy? Impractical for anything else.

Other than that, it was a great idea.

If I knew I was going to be on a place for a few years I would set it up again if there wasn't electricity. If I had choice, electricity all the way

Comment

go with the electricity site - its way cheaper and no hassle

now on the water get you 5 55gallon plastic barrels - free all over or craigs $10 each $50.00
                            build a rack stand for 3 of them and lay them on the sides - scrap wood
                            the other 2 barrels are for your truck to bring in water

this is the barrels on their sides with 2" openings

O fill here

b1

O pipe O

b2

O pipe O

b3

O faucet here to trailer with hose

order or go buy a harbor freight 12 volt marine utility pump $34.99
                            12 volt battery - use the one on the truck and keep it running

all the pipe and fittings at homedepot $50.00

fill the tanks on their sides with your 2 in the truck and the pump and hoses

get one more filled from the water source and pump it into the top barrel

this should allow you to wash dishes, flush and shower for the whole deer season

I usually take bottled water to drink

use 18 total teaspoons of bleach for all 3 55 gallon drums total and leave it in there to sanitize

most trailers have a pump inside to pump up pressure to the shower etc

so for $135.00 you now have water

You could offer to the other camper and charge them $135.00 and yours is now free.
                            if 2 others charge them 70.00 each for water

Remember the full drum of water weighs 500 lbs full.
                            So it cant be moved full.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              Amigo...after all I been through with deer lease drama??

My decision would be based solely on where the good vibe is in regards to other members & nothing more than great camp life.

Regardless, a good quiet generator with Honda power...get more than you think you need.
                              all great advise

Comment

We run 4 containers and water well off a generator.

I have quick connect attachments and can run mine off one or two Honda EU 2k's(depending on what I want to run) or plug into our main camp generator.

Really not a big deal. Big generator is a offshore deisel private label, 40gal main tank and 250gal aux tank next to it.
                                Last edited by Texans42; 02-17-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X