Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling a vehicle. Remove plates or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take them! Sold my wife's Tahoe a while back and the guy that bought it ran 3 red light and I got the tickets. Took me a lot of running around and letter writing to get them cleared...

Comment

Originally posted by txdrhntr View Post
      Question for the wise ones of the GS. Selling a vehicle remove plates or not? I recently have sold a truck and apparently the individual (not on the gs) I have sold it to still hasnt transfered the title since the registration was current and doesn't expire until September of 2016 and I am getting their tooltag bills. If i ever sell another vehicle I am thinking of taking the plates off. Is that a good idea? What say the GS brotherhood?
      If they haven't transferred the title, report it stolen

Comment

I sold an Acura to a small private dealer. 2.5 YEARS later I get toll tickets on it. Talking to the state that said the car was still in my name!!!! Yes, I filled out all the paperwork @ the time but it did no good. State told me whether an individual or dealership, keep your plates.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpStix View Post
          You DO NOT need to remove the plates unless they are personalized. Fill this out online and the monkey is off your back.

Notification of Sale of Vehicle
          ^^^This

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
          If they haven't transferred the title, report it stolen
          That would be interesting to ride along with the cop who pulls it over after you report it stolen, lol.

Comment

Some of y'all aren't understand filling out that form doesn't guarantee you anything. Taking the plates does! Been there, done that.

Comment

I just went through this. Mine got up to 2200 that a "friend" I sold the truck to ram the charges up. I filled out a title transfer page. This saved me. Got a letter printed and sent to me from the TDMV.com and I sent this to the Houston toll road authority. They finally took all the charges out my name. A bill of sale may help too.

Comment

Remove the plates....or you will be getting love letters from txtag and city of Austin...

Comment

Originally posted by SharpStix View Post
                  You DO NOT need to remove the plates unless they are personalized. Fill this out online and the monkey is off your back.

Notification of Sale of Vehicle
                  Txtag does not recognize that form, they said the plate was still in my name and I had to go to the txtag office and fill out some forms and the city of Austin doesn't look at the change of ownership forms either, 186.00 in parking violations I had to talk to a court clerk to get that cleared up...the buyer begged me to leave the plates on the truck when I sold it to him because he did not want to get pulled over and promised to get it registered the next Monday....that was a big mistake on my part that I will never do again.

Comment

Yes, I would recommend removing the plates.

Comment

Glad I read this. I have never had problems before but I will never sell a car with plates again.

Comment

Yes.

Always.

Comment

I bought a new car 6 months ago and they took them off and gave them to me . They said it was policy to take all plates on all cars.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                            ^^^This

That would be interesting to ride along with the cop who pulls it over after you report it stolen, lol.
                            It would definitely speed up their process!

Comment

Since my last go round I had them pulled off of my wife's car that we just sold today.

Comment

Many years ago I stopped a motorcycle about 3:00AM and made a fairly routine check for stolen. It did not come back stolen but the registration had expired.

The driver claimed to have a bill of sale so I had the dispatcher call the claimed former owner and wake him up. Yep, he sold it but had never registered it in his name. Just by luck, he had the former owner's name that he bought it from and a phone number.

I had the dispatcher call and had the same routine, same answer. Yes, he bought it and sold it to the guy that sold it to the guy but never registered it. But.......... he had the name and number of the former owner.

I quit at the third owner and wrote the guy a citation. It never came back as stolen.

It is a bit harder now or you have to jump through a bit more hoops with having to show insurance and get the vehicle inspected before it can be registered and so on but that shell game has been going on forever.

Some of the used car companies that advertise, "No credit needed" are the worst. They sell a car that they do not own (title not in their name) and will not transfer the car to the new "owner" until it is paid in full from their weekly notes. They are sitting on the title from the former owner while not wanting to pay the transfer fee.

All of the above means that these cars get bought and sold all the time without title transfer even when a lawful and signed title was handed over at the point of sale. That is including at some dealerships and the last person that actually complied with the rules and got it registered in his name is always on the hook and having to clear his name.

About the only way to leave the tags on and be safe it to meet the person at the county tax office and sign the new title over to the other person right there. Then you won't have to worry about the other person getting around to it..... someday.... maybe.

In my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X