13 inches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
    Heck, you're going to have to shoot this deer just so we can find out who's right!
    Agree. We demand an answer. This is more intriguing then the possibility of a armored train loaded with nazi plunder being discovered in Poland. Here's my thoughts....

1. Head to lease.
    2. Shoot deer.
    3. Measure spread.
    4. If 13 inches plus? Post results here and poke fun at all the doubters.
    5. If less than 13 inches? Hide deer in toolbox. Start faux "live bass fishing" thread on TBH and mention you are catching mostly fish that are less than 13 inches. We will all know the code.
    5. Look over shoulder for angry game wardens for next 12 months.

Problem solved.

Comment

I will be there in the morning!

Comment

It's sad that we have to have these debates over "spirit of the law" vs. "letter of the law". The reason for antler restrictions is to keep wingnuts from shooting every 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old buck they see.....not to protect a 5 1/2 year old mature buck. You won't find any GW that you're not kin to that will admit to anything other than enforcing the letter. I've heard stories of 12 3/4" on a mature deer receiving a "look the other way", and I hope those stories are true. The REAL crime should be shooting a 2 1/2 with a 16" spread that field dresses 100 lbs.

I think the subject deer is gonna miss the mark by probably 3/8". The shooter will have to decide what's right and stand behind his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexan View Post
          It's sad that we have to have these debates over "spirit of the law" vs. "letter of the law". The reason for antler restrictions is to keep wingnuts from shooting every 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old buck they see.....not to protect a 5 1/2 year old mature buck. You won't find any GW that you're not kin to that will admit to anything other than enforcing the letter. I've heard stories of 12 3/4" on a mature deer receiving a "look the other way", and I hope those stories are true. The REAL crime should be shooting a 2 1/2 with a 16" spread that field dresses 100 lbs.

I think the subject deer is gonna miss the mark by probably 3/8". The shooter will have to decide what's right and stand behind his decision.
          I'd say this is a 7 yo deer, not a 5.5 yo., and I like the gist of your post.

Comment

Gonna be close but here is a ground checked 12'' from last year that my cousin shot after I took the pic. Looks a lot like yours.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	josdeer2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	24412358

Name:	josdeer3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24412359

Comment

Same Situation

I have a buck that is very similar in circumstance:

Name:	MFDC0058 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	24412398

Name:	MFDC0272.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24412399

Name:	MFDC0373.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	24412400

I think this is a 7 1/2 year old deer, but I'm not SURE he's 13 wide. Mature bucks are what we need to be killing and this one definitely needs to be removed from the gene pool.

My avatar buck is a 4 1/2 year old 8 point that really needs another year or two and he could be something special. I protected him last year (when he was borderline legal) and this year (when he is 16 wide).

LetThemWalk.pdf

I know that the argument can be made: "Enter the MLD program and shoot whatever you want." But I think there needs to be some sort of legal relief that would allow a sportsman to "do the right thing" and not face criminal charges. jmo

Comment

Shoot him! That close and mature I doubt a GW would bother with you.

Comment

Let Em Walk

[ATTACH]752817[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
                    Shoot him! That close and mature I doubt a GW would bother with you.
                    I think you're right. A GW that that tickets somebody for shooting a buck that field dresses 150lbs needs to think about what he's doing. BUT......the hunter can't force his hand by driving the buck all over town and entering him in contests, either.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexan View Post
                      I think you're right. A GW that that tickets somebody for shooting a buck that field dresses 150lbs needs to think about what he's doing. BUT......the hunter can't force his hand by driving the buck all over town and entering him in contests, either.
                      Lol

Comment

not wide enough I have found that if you have to ask most of the time the deer is not wide enough he is a old deer but not legal to kill that is one of the draw back of the 13 inch rule but I believe the good out weighs the bad dont worry about him enjoy watching him there be a better one show up the rut is just starting.

Comment

Now but screw it shoot em anyways I would

Comment

Working...
                          X