Alternatives to .243 for youth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For kids and females. I am partial to

7-08-Have 2) one in a Stevens 200 likes 120gr. Barnes TSX and 140gr Wind Silvertips, the other is a Weatherby Vanguard wood stock that likes 139gr Hornady GMX.

6.5x55-Have one in a Howa 1500 with Hogue stock like 140gr Federal Power Point and 120 Gr. Priv Partisan match (although not a hunting bullet) it did a number on a 125lb sow a few weeks ago.
    and
    257 Roberts - Have three between my brother and I. One is built off of a Mauser action, One is a 722 Remmy and the other is a 700 Remmy Classic. 117gr Horn BTSP is the go to ammo for all of these.

>E

Comment

308 with managed recoil loads . The recoil isn't too bad and your shooting a 30 cal bullet

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
        You could get the reduced recoil loads for 308. That's what my wife shoots. 125 grain bullet and kicks less than my nephews 243 did.
        Originally posted by Buck Roar View Post
        /\ /\ This!
        /\ /\ This!! X2

Comment

Personally brother He has the Perfect gun for him. A 243 is a fine caliber for anyone to hunt deer with. Sounds like to me you just need a better bullet. I kinda had the Same dilema when my boy started hunting, but he was using a 223. He shot that rifle till I felt comfortable in his abilities but like you said when it's "Go" time things get alittle dicey. So we just loaded a better bullet. Get Something along the lines of the Barnes tsx or Hornadys SST. Would do well on any critter. My son has since moved on from the 223 to a 243 and we loaded 100gr SST's for him and they are deadly on Deer, Hogs and Ram's so far. Most haven't taken but a step or two but the runs that ran, left a blood trail Ray Charles could follow.

Comment

25-06
            257 Bob
            250-3000
            30-30
            6.5mm Swede
            7mm-08
            7x57

6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 Blk in an AR Platform

Comment

first thing i would do before buying a new rifle is switch to the hornady super performance gmx rounds and if you cant find those get the sst's, only difference is the gmx is a solid core and the sst is a lead core. if you want to go bigger then just like everyone else, the 7mm 08, 25 06 are your best bet for kids, big enough to do the job, softer recoil and available ammo.

Comment

Under 100 yards a 30-30 would be a great gun (I know people have kill things with a 30-30 a lot over 100 yards)
                Over 100 yards maybe 7mm-08

or .270 or .308 with Managed Recoil ammo

Comment

I can't believe everybody going hard on the 243. 243 is plenty of gun for any whitetail in Texas. Use a good bullet and its dead. I don't understand the " less than perfect shot" gut shot is a gut shot.. In the vitals is in the freaking vitals. No matter what caliber.

Comment

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a 270 with managed loads (115g) for my kiddos.. Shouldn't kick at all!

I'm debating between it and a 308.. I really love the flat shooting 270 though
                      Last edited by Deers & Beers; 10-26-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

The 7mm-08 is a great round with felt recoil falling somewhere between the .243 and the .308. Also, if you can find 7mm-08 cartridges in 120 gr., the felt recoil will be less than the more commonly sold 140 gr. round. 120 gr. rounds are hard to find, though.

My 7mm-08 is responsible for bringing down a number of deer and one large Aoudad. The deer left plenty of blood to trail (when they went anywhere, at all) and the Aoudad (120 gr. bullet) just fell in its tracks.

Best of luck with your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                          I'm thinking about getting a 270 with managed loads (115g) for my kiddos.. Shouldn't kick at all!

I'm debating between it and a 308.. I really love the flat shooting 270 though
                          That is actually a step backwards. The 243 actually delivers more energy on target than the managed loads in .270

Here is a comparison between Rem 270 Managed vs Rem 243 Core Lokt per information on Remington's website

.270/115g - MV 2710, V @ 200 yds 2133; ME 1875, E @ 200 yds 1161
                          .243/100g - MV 2960, V @ 200 yds 2449; ME 1945, E @ 200 yds 1332

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                            257 Roberts
                            I second this motion!

Comment

.243 85 grain barns tsx bullet has worked real well for us. Wouldn't think twice about shooting any deer or hog with it.

Comment

6.5x55 swed. another one I look at that purpose. My wife loves hers and she's recoil sensitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X