No announcement yet.

Alternatives to .243 for youth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And times a million on getting it suppressed. My 7-08 with a can is not much worse recoil and sound wise than a 22.

Comment

Can't go wrong with a .243. It's a straight shooting caliber with minimal recoil for someone that age. You could always go up to a .270, but it sounds like more time at target practice and controlling the adrenaline of buck fever is in order.

Comment

I say keep the 243 fix your blind where
        He will have a good rest on both ends
        Of the rifle so good shots can happen

Comment

Had mulitple 308 guns, would not say they have much kick and pretty similar to a 243.

Comment

Here is her rifle
            Attached Files

Comment

My son is 15 and tall but still likes his Marlin 336 in 30-30.

Comment

I agree with all of those saying the .243 is plenty big for Texas Whitetail, but I'd certainly never begrudge somebody expanding their options!

I am a big fan of 25-06 and 7mm-08 both. Hard to go wrong with either one.

Comment

I used a Youth Model 6mm as a yougster. It's a pretty hot little bullet. Never had trouble killing anything. Still tote it from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                    7/08
                    25/06
                    ^^^^

Comment

Id go with a .270 or 25-06. I began deer hunting at 10 with my dads 25-06 and never lost a deer. Then at 12, I bought my own .270 and never lost a deer with it. Spend hours at the range getting him comfortable with a bigger caliber, slowly going over the fundamentals.

Comment

my 9YO son can shoot my AR10 in 308, because its semi auto there is very little kick and the stock adjusts... It does have a loud bang, and it is heavy. So we use one of these

Comment

I love the .243... I am not sure if I would move up in caliber or concentrate on shooting deer in the neck. I do know that a 7-08 is what i would recommend if you moved up.

Comment

25-06, 7mm-08 or a 308. In that order is what I would look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe_diem View Post
                              Remington managed recoil loads are available for 9/08, .308 and .270
                              I bought my son a youth model 7/08 and he shot the managed recoil loads until he grew a little and could shoot the regulars. One deer rifle for a lifetime (with a new stock at some point).
                              In addition to the Remington Managed Recoil Hornady makes what they call Cutom Lite in .270 and .308

I was going to buy my daughter a .243, but opted for this route. She's yet to take a deer, so I'm going to hold off getting her own rifle until I know its something she is really interested in.

What .243 ammo are you using?

Sorry if you posted and I missed it.

Comment

Move up to the 6.5 calibers.

Comment

Working...
                                X