saskatchewan help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saskatchewan help!

i am headed to saskatchewan nov-26-dec--3, the outfitter has plenty of blinds set up for bowhunting (tent blinds) with a little heater.ive allready started gathering the cold weather gear. my question to the guys that have been there is this is bowhunting feasible (can it be done) in those temps and is there anything special i should do to my bow because of the temps.i will be hunting the dore lake area has anyone hunted that area what should i expect as far as deer numbers and quality .any help and ifo will be appreciated!! wade

It can be done, Wade, if the blinds are set up right. I admire you wanting to do it with a bow that time of year. I lived in Newfoundland for two years and HATE hunting in the real cold although it can be done. Never hunted Saskatchewan or any other Canadian province for deer so can't help you much with the area, but I know that country grows whoppers. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Contact your outfitter and his references that have bow hunted around that time of year. Ask them for advice and chances of harvesting at that time of year with a bow. Wish I could be of more help but I was in Northern BC.

Comment

Do it with the bow you won't regret it unless you"have to kill"

Comment

I am no expert but I hunt every year in the UP of Michigan and I have sat in -14F (below zero). You need to dress correctly first and foremost. You will need a thinsulate skull cap of some sort. But with a heater in a blind you will most likely be roasting like in my father inlaw's blind.

I hunt in a tree and tough it out so I can see better. Yep it is cold but with the right gear you can do it. I would ask the outfitter to have a climbing stand available for you. I have setup in a tree not 10 foot from my father inlaws blind while he was not hunting. Stored my gear in there. Then you can get in there when it gets dark waiting for the guide or if the weather turns nasty. You can see so much better in the tree. Unless his blinds are setup for bow hunting it will be tough to bow hunt out of a gun blind. Been there done that. There are much better trees up north for climbers. At least in the UP I can pick a clean maple tree out in a few minutes and be up there on a ridge. If you go with Under Amour cold gear top and bottoms, Wool shirt and wool sweater. Wool pants. NO COTTON it will kill you up north. A good face cover you can hunt in the trees also. With a thicker face cover you may need to sight in for left and right cause you most likely with have a thicker face cover on. Also if your bow is set to the max poundage that you can barely muster in Texas, then you may need to drop it down in real cold weather. Believe me when big boy shows up and you have been shivering from the cold you will be shaking even more when he steps out and it will drain your strength to pull the bow back. Especially if you are trying to draw real slow and quiet. Also you will need the air activated heater pads to use for your hands and maybe your feet. Your feet and hands will be the worst, but feet are harder to keep warm. Get a good set of pack boots with TWO (2) sets of liners so you can swap them out each night. You will sweat in them, so let one dry out and use the dry ones the next day. You really will need vanes and not feathers since it can snow shower easily every day. Most likely won't rain since it turns to snow. Remeber GPS displays quit working at around 4 degrees F. Use lithium batteries in anything your life depends on. Take matches to start a fire. More than one guide has missed picking up a client, not by purpose but they were injured or stuck themselves.

Well that is part of what I know. Good luck.

Ranchdog
          Last edited by ranchdog; 10-20-2006, 08:09 PM.

Comment

A friend of mine hunts up there. On one hunt his release froze to the string and would not work. If that gives you an idea.

DEW

Comment

thanks for the suggestions, i won the trip so its costing me airfare, trip , tags and taxidermy are paid.i do not like cold weather at all so im trying to prepare as much as possible. the blinds are ameristep blinds that are brushed in on bait sights. i am nervious about the weather but if it gets down to it i can rifle hunt. outfitter says temp should br around 0 F at that time. it is a rifle hunt i just asked if they would accomodate me and they said sure that they have thousands of acres that are bowhunting only. anyway thanks . wade

Comment

Wade, I have bowhunted Saskatchewan up around the pierceland, cold lake area for several years. All the info above pretty well covers it, but I would really suggest practicing with heavy draw and dropping several pounds off for the hunt. It is very hard to draw when it's below zero. Also draw your bow every 1/2 to 1 hour to stay ready. We have hunted at 25 below and it's miserable, I say everytime I'm not coming back, but I always do. Best of Luck.

Comment

I lived there for 20 years before moving to Texas, have 5 deer in the Henry Kelsey Book...I can probably help...call me nights 254-541-0942 Dave

Comment

will do !! thanks eveyone!!

Comment

Working...
                    X