No announcement yet.

Coleman treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have this jewel I'd like to get back working. Model 220F stamped 10 of 70. Not sure where to begain... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Getting that check valve was a PITA. Had to use the impact driver after it marred. But, new one in and all is well again.

Comment

Fla hunter, I am a rookie at this new hobby...(thanks to Timm).

I would start with a sponge bath, then check the pump... Oil if it is a leather cup.

Put a little fuel in it and see if it will fire up. You may be surprised. I know I was with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fla Hunter View Post
          Have this jewel I'd like to get back working. Model 220F stamped 10 of 70. Not sure where to begain... Any help will be greatly appreciated.
          Take the globe and ventilator off. Hand wash them with Dawn soap. Take the striker out and see if still works. If it does save it. Next, remove that pump and look down inside the pump well. If it is dry add some motor oil. Just a tad.

Now inspection the leather cup. If the cup in dry soak the leather cup for about 30 minutes or so. This will help recondition the cup and allow you to pump up the lantern.

While the cup is soaking inspect the fount(fuel tank) Dump the old fuel out to remove any junk from inside the tank. Let it dry out for a day and see if there is any rust inside. We can circle back to the tank after it dries out.

The o ring on the fount cap will probably need to be replaced, but you could get lucky. You can test it after the cup has soaked.

Make sure the black fuel air mixture valve turns. Make sure the generator bar on the back turns a full 360 without hanging.

oldcolemanparts.com will become your friend for getting parts. 220F is a common and reliable lantern. It will hiss again and bring back a lot of old memories. PM me your number and we can talk.

Arrowsmith is a very knowledgeable as well. He has a great collection of lanterns.

Comment

Well after tinkering with the lamp. It fired right up surprisingly. Just added coleman fuel, soaked leather cup in 3 in 1 oil and lit er up. Thanks Buckshot 73 and 2050z for your wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Very cool!!!!! Glad you have Coleman burning bright.

Comment

Saw a Ted Williams Coleman lantern in an antique shop in Hot Springs this past weekend. chrome fount with red top

$70 had a good chip out of the enamel on the top but otherwise decent shape

Didn't think to get pic

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Saw a Ted Williams Coleman lantern in an antique shop in Hot Springs this past weekend. chrome fount with red top

$70 had a good chip out of the enamel on the top but otherwise decent shape

Didn't think to get pic
                  Rookie..... Those are some nice lanterns.

Comment

Fla. hunter, that is outstanding. I am still learning, thanks to 2050z.

It is amazing how reliable these old lanterns and stoves are.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      Fla. hunter, that is outstanding. I am still learning, thanks to 2050z.

It is amazing how reliable these old lanterns and stoves are.

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge could learn a few things from Coleman!

Comment

A big thanks to my buddy Timm (2050z) who gave me this like new 11-82 220K and clam shell case. She fired up right up. This was my Christmas present from Timm.

I have been collecting Coleman lanterns and stoves for many years. This is the cleanest 36 year old lantern that I own. Thanks Timm !!!

Comment

Glad you like it!

Comment

very cool!

Comment

That is a nice present

Comment

I didn't know they are dated! I brought a 2-burner stove back from Houston 2 weeks ago. Mom said they were using it when they fishing back 40 years ago. That makes 4 stoves & 3 or 4 lanterns that have found a home in my garage.

Comment

Working...
                                X