Coleman treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
    I was unable to find a date or model # on this one. Any ideas ?

Mike provided the best information. Can you take more pictures of your lantern?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
      The year made and manufacturer is normally stamped on the bottom but not always.

Not all mil specs were made by Coleman. Quite a few companies were awarded contracts to build mil specs. The quality varied a lot. Coleman, of course, built the best. The other companies....not so much.

Here are the years made and the manufacturers.

1944 Akron, AGM (Albert Lee,MN), Coleman (Wichita, KS)

1945 AGM, Coleman

1951 AGM

1952-1961 Coleman

1963 Coleman, Thermos

1964-1966 Coleman

1967 Coleman, AutoFab

1968-1969 Coleman

1971-1972 Form-Tech

1973-1976 Coleman

1977 Armstrong Products (Huntington, WV)

1978 Armstrong Products

1979 Coleman, SMP (State Machine Products, Dry Ridge KY)

1980-1991 SMP

Lets say your lantern is a 1971 built by Form-Tech. It should have this stamped on the bottom.

U.S.

F.T.

It has the Coleman stamp on the glass, but I will ck the bottom.

Comment

What did you find on the bottom?

Comment

anybody else got some Coleman treasures hidden away?

Comment

Cool thread

Comment

Modern Coleman

Picked this up really cheap and it will come in handy with the kids on our camping trip.
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, it is not vintage, but my cub scouts bought be a brand new 424-700 as a thank you gift for being their den leader and taking them through their entire journey as cub scouts. They crossed over last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Well, it is not vintage, but my cub scouts bought be a brand new 424-700 as a thank you gift for being their den leader and taking them through their entire journey as cub scouts. They crossed over last weekend.
                  That is so cool. I am on the hunt for a lantern again and I still have not finished my other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                    That is so cool. I am on the hunt for a lantern again and I still have not finished my other projects.
                    I am now on the hunt for a featherlight/peak/exponent stove

Comment

I am now on the hunt for a featherlight/peak/exponent stove
                      Got a trip for it?

Comment

Got a trip for it?
                        Not yet... but I am also just a stove junkie.

I got my gift stove in... turned out to be a 414 instead of a 424, which is awesome because I can fit my 10" lodge cookware on it. Only problem is that when I went to pump the tank, air was coming back out of the pump if you removed your finger or basically until you turned it back close. I think there must be something defective in the check valve. I need to call up coleman an figure out what they want to do.

Comment

Coleman is going to send me a check valve/stem and pump assembly. Hopefully the removal and installation isn't a big pain. I've done pump assemblies, but haven't bothered with the check valve.

Comment

Took a little while to get fired up but she is hissing. Not bad for a single mantle lantern.
                            Let there be light ! and Coleman said " no problem"

Comment

Not yet... but I am also just a stove junkie.

I got my gift stove in... turned out to be a 414 instead of a 424, which is awesome because I can fit my 10" lodge cookware on it. Only problem is that when I went to pump the tank, air was coming back out of the pump if you removed your finger or basically until you turned it back close. I think there must be something defective in the check valve. I need to call up coleman an figure out what they want to do.
                              could be the check valve.

Comment

Coleman is going to send me a check valve/stem and pump assembly. Hopefully the removal and installation isn't a big pain. I've done pump assemblies, but haven't bothered with the check valve.
                                I have 286a that Mike and I could not get the check valve out. Hope we can save this lantern. There is a guy who make a removal tool. Wants like 30 for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X