• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy 4 roses single barrel, 2 parts four roses, 1 part glass

Comment

Jeffersons aged at ocean

Comment

For those that want to try Texas whiskeys you should head to the Houston Whiskey Festival. I went the first year and they chose a bad venue that was too small and boy was it packed. Recently I head they changed venues to a bigger one. The seminars were my favorite, distilleries were come and talk and give you a taste of everything, the first year I went Yellow Rose was the best, but they didn't have Rebecca Creek which is my favorite from Texas. To be honest it's really just a one time thing unless your super into whiskey cause it's a bit fancy and expensive. 3rd annual is coming up in march and there are typically discounted tickets on Groupon. That's how we got ours.

Comment

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
          For those that want to try Texas whiskeys you should head to the Houston Whiskey Festival. I went the first year and they chose a bad venue that was too small and boy was it packed. Recently I head they changed venues to a bigger one. The seminars were my favorite, distilleries were come and talk and give you a taste of everything, the first year I went Yellow Rose was the best, but they didn't have Rebecca Creek which is my favorite from Texas. To be honest it's really just a one time thing unless your super into whiskey cause it's a bit fancy and expensive. 3rd annual is coming up in march and there are typically discounted tickets on Groupon. That's how we got ours.

Rebecca Creek is not a true Texas Whiskey. They bottled it here, but they send the barrels up north to age. I live near the distillery and done the tour. There are only a handful of true Texas Whiskeys. 1835 is made up north.

Now RC single malt is aged and bottled here in Texas. They showed us some of the barrels when I toured.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
            Rebecca Creek is not a true Texas Whiskey. They bottled it here, but they send the barrels up north to age. I live near the distillery and done the tour. There are only a handful of true Texas Whiskeys. 1835 is made up north.

Now RC single malt is aged and bottled here in Texas. They showed us some of the barrels when I toured.
            I believe Yellow Rose, and Whitmeyer's are truly Texan.

Comment

After getting hooked on "Mad Men" on Netflix, I decided to perfect the Old Fashioned.

I tried several rye whiskies and kept getting pointed to Bulleit.

I have to admit though, if I'm not careful it will bite me the next day. Most days I think a good bottle of wine is superior.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDieselKid View Post
                I believe Yellow Rose, and Whitmeyer's are truly Texan.

Garrison Brothers
                Balcones
                Ranger Creek
                Herman Marshall

Are a few others. Once I learned how to read the label it made sense. Look for where it was aged, where it was distilled. Buffalo trace on the label says aged, distilled, and bottled in Kentucky. 1835 says bottled by 1835 in Lewisville, Tx. If you have Direct TV or Itunes, I highly recommend the documentary Bourbontucky.

I believe that it’s not just important, but essential to know how to read a bourbon/whiskey label. Since bourbon is regulated in the U.S. by the TTB, it’s easy to read a label and it’s fascinating and the result is that I can tell a lot about that product just by seeing exactly who made it, how long it’s been aged, ABV, and where it’s made. Pappy Van Winkle of Stizel-Weller used to say, “look for the words ‘distilled and bottled BY’, because any fool with a funnel can bottle whiskey.” The words, KENTUCKY – STRAIGHT – BOURBON – WHISKEY, all mean something on their own, and when they appear together. Age statements, or the lack of tell me something. The words, BY and IN also mean a lot. You can see all the exact laws as they appear in the TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau) Standards of Identity at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2008-title27-vol1/pdf/CFR-2008-title27-vol1-sec5-22.pdf But here are some of the highlights: Whisky: an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190 proof in such a manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need [...]

This should be easy, right? It says 'Texas Made' on the front label. And 'Texas' is part of the name, isn't it? Plus, who would be crazy...
                Last edited by .270; 01-29-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Garrisons is good, but a little pricey

Comment

I opened my first bottle of Rebecca Creek and I'm impressed. However my pallet is not accustomed to different bourbons

Comment

Drinking some maker's right now.

Comment

Rebecca's creek is really good

Comment

Weller's Special Reserve 90 proof is my new favorite. Quality whiskey for a fair price.

Comment

Drove up to whisky hollow in Valley View. Met Les the owner and he is a great guy. Couldn't leave empty handed.

Comment

Thinking about trying a real Single Malt Scotch.....Which entry level Scotch do I go to???

Comment

TX Whiskey gets my vote these days

Comment

Working...
                                X