No announcement yet.

everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride with the family on the big tuna went great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice....how fast you troll with that beast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
        First ride with the family on the big tuna went great!

Son of a gun that thing looks like huge!

Comment

My gps says 3.75mph that's with the old 25lb trolling motor opened up all the way lol. Yeah it's big went from a 10footer to a 14footer. 4 feet make a big diff it's not 2 bad once it's in the water. One day I'll get a smaller kayak but this set up allowes me to fish more by including the family.

Comment

That's moving perfect speed...just watchin the good times roll by

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

"Yeah it's big went from a 10footer to a 14footer. 4 feet make a big diff it's not 2 bad once it's in the water. One day I'll get a smaller kayak but this set up allowes me to fish more by including the family."
              I was showing the pic to my better half, commenting how "huge" that kayak is. I zoomed in and noticed it's a Big Tuna! I've wanted that boat since they first came out with them!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My gps says 3.75mph that's with the old 25lb trolling motor opened up all the way lol. Yeah it's big went from a 10footer to a 14footer. 4 feet make a big diff it's not 2 bad once it's in the water. One day I'll get a smaller kayak but this set up allowes me to fish more by including the family.

That's awesome, bet it's nice to fish out of too

Comment

Has any one fished the lampasas river on 190 in kempner? On google maps it looks like a long stretch of water 300yards up stream at the rr tracks?????

Comment

Has any one fished the lampasas river on 190 in kempner? On google maps it looks like a long stretch of water 300yards up stream at the rr tracks?????

When we had a lease in Kempner the river was never high enough to paddle. Course that's been a couple of years

Comment

I don't think it's possible to get to the water there at Kempner or if it is, it will be pretty tough to do.

Comment

Went out again the more I take the tuna out the more I like it. When it's just me I can stand and pitch all day. I will do some bow fishing out of it soon

Comment

Tied some flies today for a kayak trip on the Brazos this weekend. Looking for some smallmouth.

Comment

They ought to be all over those top waters Shane. The temps are great for it.

Comment

That's what I'm hoping. I'll take 1 fish topwater over 5 sub-surface.

Comment

We had a great day yesterday. We fished with Shane Davies (River Run Guide Service) on the Brazos between Whitney and Waco. We had originally planned to go to the PK dam, but last week's heavy rains made us worry about how much water they'd be releasing out of PK. Shane was great to fish with. We took Zach's roommate with us who hasn't done a lot outdoors before, although he has fished some. It was good to have the guide to help with all of that and to know where to go on water we'd not fished before.

I was hoping to catch a nice smallmouth. I did catch a couple of small ones, along with a few spotted bass, largemouth, a white bass, and a couple nice long-eared sunfish. And I did hook a really big smallmouth. I cast my chartreuse and white Clouser (fly in the top left of my photo above) up into a pocket of a big tree that had laid down in the edge of the river. Almost immediately a fish hammered it. It made a short run sideways and a little bit out toward the middle of the river. But then it turned around and went straight back for the brush pile. I got a glimpse of a bulky 20" or so brownish fish. I hadn't had time to get all my slack fly line reeled up after stripping in several feet to keep up with the fish on the first run toward the middle of the river. When she made the run back to the tree I fed a little slack by hand. But she was getting to the edge of the brush. I had to clamp down and try to turn her. When I did that she really felt it, but she did NOT turn. She pulled like a freight train and snapped my 12# leader. DANG IT! I'm still sick about losing her. She came up jumping and thrashing in the brush a couple of times over the next few minutes. She was trying to shake that fly out of her lip. It was a really nice fish.

Even though I lost the big one, we had a ball. The only thing I'd change would have been the kayaks. I decided to not take my kayaks since we drove down Friday night and spent the night in a motel in order to get on the water before sunup. I didn't want to have to worry about my kayaks getting stolen out of the parking lot. The guide's kayaks were all Perception Pescadors. They're not bad, but the lack of a seat really gets old after an hour or so. 9 hours of sitting in a puddle on the floor of the kayak is hard on a fella. My back and tailbone were aching by lunchtime. Next time I'll take my own yaks with elevated seats. The Pescador isn't as stable or roomy either, but I could live with that easier than the uncomfortable seat.

Here are a few pics. The sunrise was spectacular.

The fishing was great. This biggest spotted bass that I caught came out of a little fast current right against a concrete retaining wall that was falling apart. I cast upstream and let it drift through the hole, felt the take and a couple of head shakes, and then I was snagged on something solid. I waded over to retrieve my fly and then could feel the fish was still on. I somehow managed to get him out of the crevice in the concrete without losing him. He was a pretty nice little chunk.

Zach's buddy caught the big fish of the day.

Smallie....

Couple more spots and another largemouth....

Last edited by Shane; 10-02-2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X