No announcement yet.

everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got out on Brushy Creek Lake again this weekend. Managed to not fall out of my kayak this time. A minor victory.

Definitely the busiest I have ever seen the lake. At one point, I passed between 2 kayak fishermen and 3 shore fishermen fishing the same 30 yards of lake under Parmer bridge.

Caught 6 fish, only 2 that were not dinks... and they weren't monsters.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

I was reminded a couple of weekends ago about something I would like for all kayakers who fish the saltwater bays and marshes to do.

Put a bicycle rod/flag combo on the stern of your boat so we who are running powerboats can see you over the grass and in the narrow cuts.

It would sure help us to see you and to make adjustments to our path if we know you are there. Some of the cuts we have to go through are shallow and narrow and the grass is tall...when we're on plane to make the turn, well it can make for an exciting moment when in the middle of the turn there's a kayak in the middle of the channel that we couldn't see.

My son is looking at buying a Jackson Kayak..the big one, I forget the model, and he'll sure have one on his yak. We'll use the bay boat to take it where he wants put in and he'll be able to go places I can only wish that I could go in my boat.

Be safe.

Comment

A few from back in Cali. Newport Harbor.
        And the cart I built after I got tired of carrying that thing on my head for like a hundred yards through the sand to launch lol.
        Going to pick up a vehicle in Cali soon and will be bringing the yak back out here with me. Can’t wait to get back out on the water.
        Attached Files

Comment

My neighbor at the coast gave me this Ascend FS12T Sunday! He began having problems with the hull filling up with water and could not understand why. Well, after I got it home and began removing the case of silicone and improper patch jobs, I see why it leaks.

I will do my best to document everything I do from removing the spray paint, unplugging the silicone filled scuffer holes, repairing the two cracks under the seat and filling the multiple screw holes as well as rigging it to my liking.

The plan is to set it up much like my old yellow Pelican less the outriggers/pontoons.

Oh, be careful, 5 in one tools are sharp! Just had to get stitches because it slipped and filleted my little finger! Well that slows down progress!

My old Pelican for reference

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vizicarbon pro will solve the visibility issue so you dont get plowed over by boats. I used to just have a 360 light but I upgraded and it's nice to have that bright orange flag up during the day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Step one is complete, removing all the spray paint!

After my hand heals I will jump on crack repairs and building up the keel.

Michael

Comment

I started on repairing the cracks. She is far from finished but I believe it is going to work!

Before

Now

Comment

Everything kayak

Ttt

Comment

Well, it will not leak anymore! Next will be to make the patchwork repair disappear and add a bit of strength so it doesn’t happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                      Well, it will not leak anymore! Next will be to make the patchwork repair disappear and add a bit of strength so it doesn’t happen again.

PM your address and I will send you an Ascend hat and decal.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                        PM your address and I will send you an Ascend hat and decal.

Sweet, thank you!

Comment

All repairs have been made and she is now water ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                            All repairs have been made and she is now water ready!

Looks good as new

How's the hand?

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              Looks good as new

How's the hand?

Healing up real well. Another couple weeks and you should not be able to notice my mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
                                I was didint know so many people loved to kayak, or wanted to get into it, so i figured why don't we have one thread where people can ask questions, give tips, and write ups, or what ever els is related to kayaking.

im doing a write up because it has ben brought up what are the must haves for their kayak, well the only thing that came to mind when i read the thread was a trolly system, man was i wrong. you really just have to go threw the actions and take mental notes to truly know. so hear is a rundown of my fishing day.

all this talk on kayak fishing gave me the bug some kind of fierce. so yesterday i loaded up the yak n hit the old honey hole, and man im i glad i did. but before you hit the water it truly starts the night before. organization is key for me when it comes to kayak fishing, i know there aint much to organize, but thats my point each piece of equipment plays a vital role in catching fish. so the night before load everything up, as much as u can, lay it out n b ready to hit the road in the morning asap. make a check off list trust me i wish i would have i got everything but forgot my anchor DUHHH. thats like forgetting to charge your battery for your trolling motor. well assuming u have everything set up the first thing i recommend is eat a big breakfast, that 3hr fishing trip normally turns into 6 or 7, and take snacks.
                                well i got everything loaded and i hit the water take your time unlading nothing worse than breaking a pole before you even touch the water. well i headed up stream and caught a couple small bass, i didint have my anchor, but i did have a push pole which is just a mop handle i got from the store a another must have , n shallow water i just push it down a scupper hole to keep me n place. once i fished to the dam i headed back down stream where it gets deeper as i passed some logs something compelled me to cast over it and im glad i did. as i was retrieving a big old girl came out of the deep n crushed my lure. on rivers i like to use a watermelon red flake creature bate with a weighted offset hook so i can use it as a top water swim bait or i can fish the bottom with it like a jig. any who after a little song n dance with her i get her n the boat, man was i hollering on that little creek. she must have been 7 maybe more along 8lbs biggest fish ive caught n my yak. didint measure her but she was a little above me knee and reaches down past my ankle. write after i let her go i cast to the other side of the bank n i catch another toad this was along the 5lb mark. after that i continue down stream and catch some more small bass. the great thing about kayak fishing is its an ever learning process. somethings i learned is keep sunscreen n your bag, also a large full brim hat n good polarized sun glasses, make a list of what you need to bring, and fish places you normally dont, also take your time your not n a race, no weigh n times just u n nature, its not like u have a SHO 250 on the back. just like bow hunting every fish you land is a trophy, don't matter if its a little rock bass or a 10pounder. i have a feeling i will b get n out a lot more this year, and im really excited, i hope to meet some of you as well on the water sounds like the boys n the dfw area r off to a good start as well. be safe n tight lines
                                [ATTACH]703680[/ATTACH]
                                my snacks, oh and dont bring chocolate it melts lol

jeeps loaded
                                [ATTACH]703683[/ATTACH]
                                thats y i have a jeep gets me to the places no one els can get to

[ATTACH]703688[/ATTACH]
                                to the passer looks like a shallow old stinky water
                                [ATTACH]703689[/ATTACH]
                                but it opens up nice

[ATTACH]703691[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH]703692[/ATTACH]
                                hear she is [ATTACH]703693[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH]703694[/ATTACH][ATTACH]703695[/ATTACH]
                                the other toad
                                [ATTACH]703698[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH]703700[/ATTACH]
                                Not sure how I missed this post but that sure looks like a Nitrous bottle strapped to your yak in the picture...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X