Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any firsthand experience with the Ducati Monster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any firsthand experience with the Ducati Monster?

Been bike shopping and leaning towards the Ducati Monster 1200. Been reading a lot of reviews on the bikes, and it looks like every one who wrote a review was either on payroll or a fanboy, but I am sure there are some warts on these bikes, just curious if anyone here could point them out form first hand experience?

And before the anti-bike crowd jumps in, I am taking the motorcycle safety class this weekend (mandatory in Colorado) and the advanced class next month. Dropping a grand on a good helmet and jacket and don't plan on ever riding without them, just looking to gather as much ifo on the bike before I pull the trigger.

THanks!

Ducati makes some cool bikes. The desmodromic valve system can be a nightmare if you don't keep up the maintenance. Stay on top of maintenance, and you'll be fine.

And nothing else sounds like a Duck!

Comment

The desmo valve drive is expensive to have adjusted at a Duck shop. Other than that all I can say is that I'm very jealous. A good friend of mine owned one and I was fortunate enough to be able to ride it often. Great handling bike and a boatload of torque.

Comment

Had one back in '01, man that was an awesome bike. Was not as fast as my ZX9R, or F4, 929, but was my favorite bike.
        Handled great and lots of low end torque

Comment

I'm a big Ducati fan, owner, and mechanic. Don't let people scare you off with the maintenance/reliability issues, they really aren't bad. While the valves should be checked according to the maintenance intervals, they usually don't need to be adjusted every time. If you're handy you can do your own oil changes and most other maintenance as well. Find a good dealer or independent mechanic and your life will be a breeze.

I would caution you against getting a Monster 1200 as a first bike, 145 hp is a LOT for a motorcycle. Most people think they've been in something "fast" before like a Corvette, but you're in for a rude (and fun!) awakening. I'd recommend picking up a used 696 or 695, 750, S2R800 or 900 classic monster first to learn on. You don't need to start on a 250 but get something cheap that won't terrify you first.

You might be the type to just buy what you want brand new and keep it forever, but you WILL drop or crash your new beauty and it will make you cry, as well as be costly. Much better to buy one for $3-4 k, ride it for a year or two, then sell it and buy the 1200 at that point.

Comment

The valve adjustment was a concern, but I guess on the newer bikes they have doubled the mileage for the adjustment interval, and in all honesty, with the amount of riding I will have time for, that will just be a once every couple of years expense

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

gatorgrizz, I have had dirt bikes, but was looking at this as my first street bike. One of the things I liked about the new Monsters was the multiple riding modes that will let me "grow into" the bike as my abilities progress, and was looking more for something I wouldn't "outgrow" as I got better on it.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I had to Google that, to see what it was.

For that kind of coin, you'd think they would give you the rest of the plastics!

Comment

The lack of plastic is the point!

Comment

One last bump before I buy the stupid thing

Comment

Get it already!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                            gatorgrizz, I have had dirt bikes, but was looking at this as my first street bike. One of the things I liked about the new Monsters was the multiple riding modes that will let me "grow into" the bike as my abilities progress, and was looking more for something I wouldn't "outgrow" as I got better on it.
                            I hear you, but it's still a mistake IMO, and reckless. I ride bikes every day and 150hp is way too much for a beginner. Truthfully it's powerful enough that I still hesitate to ride one hard because it can bite you so easily. A similar bike with 70hp will still be thrilling and no one will "outgrow" it. You will crash it and it will be expensive. Something like this will let you enjoy it for a couple years and upgrade if you want to without losing any money.

It's your life but give it some serious thought before you pull the trigger. These aren't Harley's where a 1200 Sporty is a "girl's bike"
                            Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 02-19-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

There was a guy in an old apartment complex maybe 8 years ago that had a 999. That thing sounded so dang mean. Never heard a bike sound like that before. He had to have had a cam in it or something. The idle was just so powerful. Left a lasting impression obviously.

Comment

Working...
                              X