Ridiculous good deal on Brunton Epoch binocs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridiculous good deal on Brunton Epoch binocs

What is the overall consensus on the 8.5 X 43 Epochs?

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
      That's pretty high praise actually, as the Bushnell Elites are some of the best glass out there, at any price. They are a "sleeper" in the binocular world. The optics snobs won't carry them because they say "Bushnell" on them, but the funny thing is that when the same binoculars said "Basch and Lomb" on them, they were somehow okay. LOL.

I have owned two pairs of Bushnell Elite 10x42's and have been talked out of both pairs by friends of mine. They are some of the best binoculars, at any price. The fact that you can still routinely get them on sale for around $450 is just shocking to me.

If folks would stop looking down their noses long enough to pick up a pair and give them an objective test, they would see those Elites are as good as anything they would pay $800-1K for.

And yes, I would put these Bruntons on par with those Elites. However, I like the 8.5 power more than the 10x of those Elites. Better depth of field and easier to hold steady.
      The 8x42/10x42 Elites are not bad glass but the earlier 8x43/10x43 models are better but a tad pricier. I have a pair of 8x43's and the optics are better than my new 10x42 Leicas.
      The best binocular tests on the net. The comprehensive database of binoculars with their parameters and users opinions. Interesting articles and comparisons.

The best binocular tests on the net. The comprehensive database of binoculars with their parameters and users opinions. Interesting articles and comparisons.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 02-22-2015, 12:43 AM.

Comment

After my last Bushnell binocular warranty experience I don't feel the non warranty of the Bruntons is any more of a risk.

I'm gonna give the O-ring trick a try today. Thanks for the help.

Comment

No problem Dave. I think you'll be happy you did.

Old Bald Guy - I've been searching for a clean used pair of those 10x43 open bridge Bushnell Elites for about 2 years now. Nobody wants to give them up. Quite possibly the best binoc deal on the planet if you can find them.

Again, if I'm spending $299, the Brunton's are the best I could ever hope for. If I'm spending $450, then the Bushnell Elites are a no-brainer. Above that, there are a few others like the Viper HD's and Celestron Granites, but then you're getting into the realm of "all optics are about the same" so you are looking for ergonomics at that point.

Comment

Finally got my scope out to the range today. First impression is that if I had another $243 that I didn't know what to do with I would get another one today. Glass seemed very clear, solid click adjustments. Got zeroed in at 100y. Moved out to 200y. The second reticle was dead on at 200y. Moved out to 300y. The third reticle is about 3.5" high at 300y. I'm really looking forward to getting back out and shooting it some more and seeing what type of adjustments I'll need to do to get out to 600y. There are 4 different bullet drop reticles in the scope, if you count the center as one, and over spring break I hope to learn them all thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
              Finally got my scope out to the range today. First impression is that if I had another $243 that I didn't know what to do with I would get another one today. Glass seemed very clear, solid click adjustments. Got zeroed in at 100y. Moved out to 200y. The second reticle was dead on at 200y. Moved out to 300y. The third reticle is about 3.5" high at 300y. I'm really looking forward to getting back out and shooting it some more and seeing what type of adjustments I'll need to do to get out to 600y. There are 4 different bullet drop reticles in the scope, if you count the center as one, and over spring break I hope to learn them all thoroughly.
              I don't need a scope or I would be all over this. Most $250 scopes are junk IMO. This may be a real performer.

Comment

Some of their Brunton solar power products look pretty darn nice for the $. Anyone tried any of those solar chargers? Thinking they would really come in handy on a camping trip.
                I was thinking the same thing. That Brunton Freedom Solar Panel 2,200 mAh Output / mini-USB, Blue for $19.99 looks pretty cool. The reviews I have read basically make it sound like you can charge it (sun or plug in) and carry as a backup fully charged extra battery for your devices; or use as a light (as it has some kind of led light built into it). Again for $20 total....I might have to get one to throw in my backpack just for fun!

Comment

If I'm reading the writing on the wall correctly, I'm guessing Brunton got out of the optics business, not because they didn't build good optics, but because many of their products now fall into Obama's Green Energy Plan, and they qualified for the benefits that go along with producing green energy products and changed the direction of the company accordingly. The solar panels are probably pretty good for what they are, but I have yet to find a solar panel yet that I didn't want to smash at some point.

Comment

I got the impression that Brunton got out of the optics business because try as they might, the buyers of high-end optics still wanted Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski on their binoculars. That's the "holy trinity" of binoculars, and most birding optics snobs wouldn't be seen dead without one of those three around their necks.

I work around birders. Have for nearly 25 years. They are a fickle bunch.

John

Comment

Originally posted by rkmontana View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing. That Brunton Freedom Solar Panel 2,200 mAh Output / mini-USB, Blue for $19.99 looks pretty cool. The reviews I have read basically make it sound like you can charge it (sun or plug in) and carry as a backup fully charged extra battery for your devices; or use as a light (as it has some kind of led light built into it). Again for $20 total....I might have to get one to throw in my backpack just for fun!
                      I picked one up for the wife cause she's the yackity yackity type and will burn up a phone battery.

I have one that I got from overseas for $15 that I use and this one is a lot nicer. Charges off a USB port (wall plug, computer, 12v) or via solar and has battery life indicator.

I wouldn't say it's a deal of the year type buy, but if you need an extra battery for your phone it's a good option.

Comment

I got the impression that Brunton got out of the optics business because try as they might, the buyers of high-end optics still wanted Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski on their binoculars. That's the "holy trinity" of binoculars, and most birding optics snobs wouldn't be seen dead without one of those three around their necks.

I work around birders. Have for nearly 25 years. They are a fickle bunch.

John
                        True enough, but they also did a poor poor job marketing their optics too. No outdoor channel, magazines etc. who among us really knew how good they were until now.

Comment

newb disclaimer, I dont have much frame of reference on optics but here I go...
                          I took my binos out Saturday morning on a pig stalk and these things are built like a tank and feel like it too they are pretty heavy, I just ordered a shoulder harness after hiking 5miles with the neck strap it came with, which is actually really nice just a little long.
                          the only other binos I have to compare it with are some cheap 16x32 Bushnell and there isnt a comparison and these things really shine in low light.
                          The clarity and detail is awesome and the focus is almost as good, its fast between long or short distances. The case and covers it comes with is really nice.
                          I dont think I would ever be happy with any glass if I spent a $1k on them because expectation would be to high but for sub 300 im happy with them and enjoy looking through them.
                          I gave my wife the Bushnell and then the Bruntons and she just said "wow", so it justified my purchase haha

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                            True enough, but they also did a poor poor job marketing their optics too. No outdoor channel, magazines etc. who among us really knew how good they were until now.
                            Actually, where I know Brunton from is archery tournaments. There have been a lot of archers who use them at 3D events, and lancasters has sold them for years due to this.

As for outdoor channel and magazines, etc., you don't see too many Swaro, Zeiss or Leica ads on the Outdoor Channel or magazines either. They have just been around that long and are all well-known European brands with great track records, so that's a tough market to break into. Even Nikon struggles against the "big three" even though they make some of the best glass on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                              newb disclaimer, I dont have much frame of reference on optics but here I go...
                              I took my binos out Saturday morning on a pig stalk and these things are built like a tank and feel like it too they are pretty heavy, I just ordered a shoulder harness after hiking 5miles with the neck strap it came with, which is actually really nice just a little long.
                              the only other binos I have to compare it with are some cheap 16x32 Bushnell and there isnt a comparison and these things really shine in low light.
                              The clarity and detail is awesome and the focus is almost as good, its fast between long or short distances. The case and covers it comes with is really nice.
                              I dont think I would ever be happy with any glass if I spent a $1k on them because expectation would be to high but for sub 300 im happy with them and enjoy looking through them.
                              I gave my wife the Bushnell and then the Bruntons and she just said "wow", so it justified my purchase haha
                              Get your wife a pair of Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's. She will love them. My wife handled the Bruntons and my Sightron's and after a minute or two, handed me back my Bruntons. LOL. Said the Sightron's were now "hers."

Comment

Binocs are still selling for $697 on Amazon. Geez!

Comment

Working...
                                X