Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first deer kill! Grayson County Buck Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
    My offer still stands to put an amateur tape on it for you. I'm not certified but I know how to score a deer.
    Thanks for the offer and may take you up on it, but I did call a couple men off the official scorer list and they offered to score him and they also live pretty close. Hopefully going to make it over to their place one day this week. I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Comment

Congrats. Awesome deer

Comment

Official scoring complete! Ended up being right at 150 and of course there's was discrepancy with the B&C measurement and how the deer would have scored. The most interesting fact about the measurements was that since the buck had multiple broken tines it reduced his non-typical percentage which put him in the typical measurements category and because of tine mismatch that in turn increased the deductions knocking down his total score. Oh well still an awesome deer for me and it was great to learn how to measure antlers.

Thanks again for all the nice comments and can't wait till next season!

Last edited by blide; 06-07-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blide View Post
          Official scoring complete! Ended up being right at 150 and of course there's was discrepancy with the B&C measurement and how the deer would have scored. The most interesting fact about the measurements was that since the buck had multiple broken tines it reduced his non-typical percentage which put him in the typical measurements category and because of tine mismatch that in turn increased the deductions knocking down his total score. Oh well still an awesome deer for me and it was great to learn how to measure antlers.

Thanks again for all the nice comments and can't wait till next season!

What was his gross score? We don't care about net scores.

Comment

Look familiar? We must hunt right near each other! Dang you! Congratulations, by the way. Well, that's the last deer on our place, time to move on.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by papadoc; 06-07-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by papadoc View Post
              Look familiar? We must hunt right near each other! Dang you! Congratulations, by the way. Well, that's the last deer on our place, time to move on.
              Oh wow! That's definitely the same buck so you're right we must be in the same geographic area. Please know that I wish you the best and would definitely like to get the opportunity to meet you. If it helps I've been in the area for about 7 years and have seen this buck the previous 4 out of 5 years (see pics in my earlier posts) so maybe we both contributed to letting him develop.

The pic you posted must have been in the beginning of the season because on the last day he was missing three of the smaller tines that stick out. That's what ended up knocking his score way down.

Anyway hats off to you and if you decide to stay around I hope we can cross paths because I'm on family friend property and will be there for the long haul.
              Last edited by blide; 06-07-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papadoc View Post
                Originally posted by blide View Post
                Oh wow! That's definitely the same buck so you're right we must be in the same geographic area. Please know that I wish you the best and would definitely like to get the opportunity to meet you. If it helps I've been in the area for about 7 years and have seen this buck the previous 4 out of 5 years (see pics in my earlier posts) so maybe we both contributed to letting him develop.

The pic you posted must have been in the beginning of the season because on the last day he was missing three of the smaller tines that stick out. That's what ended up knocking his score way down.

Anyway hats off to you and if you decide to stay around I hope we can cross paths because I'm on family friend property and will be there for the long haul.
                I swear that deer hung around my place also, if it wasn't him it was his twin brother. I saw him 2 times in person but wasn't close enough to get a shot.

Congratulations on a nice buck.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb1206 View Post
                  I swear that deer hung around my place also, if it wasn't him it was his twin brother. I saw him 2 times in person but wasn't close enough to get a shot.

Where are you Mike? PM me. I would like to get to know a few folks up there as I am there a lot by myself during season, and I'm no spring chicken anymore. Not to mention clumsy. I have been a paramedic since '81 so I might be of use to someone.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb1206 View Post

Lol, I thought I was all alone out there! If you guys know who's doing all the shooting out there all the time let me know because I spend most of my hunting trips afraid of getting hit by a bullet.

Comment

Working...
                      X