Lonesome Dove: Favorite Line or Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
    I hear you boys are plannin an orgy when we get to Ogalalla!
    I love his response after jasper says "why do you care? You got Lorena"

"What's good for me isn't necessarily good for the weak minded..."~ Capt. Augustus McCrae

I'm a huge fan of the books and the movies (Lonesome Dove and Comanche Moon esp.)

Last edited by Russ81; 01-07-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
      It's a Cattlemans Paradise to hear Jake tell it
      sounds like a dern wilderness if you ask me!

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      As great as the movie is, if you are a fan and haven't read the book you need to make it a point to do so. I read it when it first came out in 1985 and only recently read it for the second time. Much of McMurtry's prose is absolutely brilliant. There are many passages you will go back and read twice because the writing is so awesome. Don't get me wrong - the movie is great but the book naturally goes much deeper.
      The part where Ol' Dog gets into a fight would of been awesome, but I bet not suitable for prime time tv. Luckily watched the movie enough I can play it in my mind's eye everytime I read the book
      Last edited by Russ81; 01-07-2015, 10:53 PM.

Comment

When I watch the movie, I get a bit of a different perspective than most... You see, it was made on our deer lease... we had to move some stands, etc. That moccasin scene is in a low water crossing of Sycamore Creek about 200 yards behind where our camp was. When Gus and Lori were in the creek taking a bath and Blue Duck came riding down that split in the rock face, Those white stains on that rock in the creek are from bars of soap we kept there for bathing. During the time they were shooting, our camp got broken into by some "Illegals" and they stole my jeep. Just as they crashed the front gate with it, some of the movie crew was coming back from town and saw 'em. They called the law and I was able to get my jeep back. After they were done, we used to go there for photo ops. I have tons of pics of my kids in the old set of the house and the hotel, etc.

What was most striking is how "REAL" they made the movie look with that set. the Hotel was in reality nothing but a front with a stair case just inside the door that went nowhere. and the upstairs was just wide enough to stand on and look out the window. there was no back on any of it. The hotel burned down, but Mr. Moody made 'em build it back after they were done with the shooting. the old burned up piano was still sitting beside the rebuilt facade. The house was nothing but a facade with a front door and just in side the front room was just wide enough to stand back so you could walk out the door. And that bridge across the creek... In the movie it looked like it took for ever to walk across it... It was maybe 20-25 feet long in reality. It was a real bridge, but it sure wasn't much of a bridge.

And were Call buried Gus under all those big old pecan trees is one of the best turkey roosts in South Texas. I killed my first turkey with a bow within a hunert yards of the grave scene... The year after they finished the movie, we moved our camp up closer toward town so we could have electricity brought in.. sometimes I still miss that creek and that Sycamore Creek bottom...

Not much left of the movie set... the mesicans have stolen anything useful and took it back across the river... Yes, it was really built right on the Rio Grande. They just didn't really cross the river to go get the cattle... If you ever watch the remake of the Gunsmoke movie where Michael Learned played Miss Kitty because Amanda Blake died before they were able to make the movie, look at the movie town and house closely... same place/same set as Lonesome Dove...
        I concur with others that it is indeed the greatest Western ever made.

Comment

“I never knew you to get excited about anything except biscuits maybe . . . and whores”

Comment

Slick, did they flim Comanche Moon there also? Bridge looked the same but grown over with mesquites

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              When I watch the movie, I get a bit of a different perspective than most... You see, it was made on our deer lease... we had to move some stands, etc. That moccasin scene is in a low water crossing of Sycamore Creek about 200 yards behind where our camp was. When Gus and Lori were in the creek taking a bath and Blue Duck came riding down that split in the rock face, Those white stains on that rock in the creek are from bars of soap we kept there for bathing. During the time they were shooting, our camp got broken into by some "Illegals" and they stole my jeep. Just as they crashed the front gate with it, some of the movie crew was coming back from town and saw 'em. They called the law and I was able to get my jeep back. After they were done, we used to go there for photo ops. I have tons of pics of my kids in the old set of the house and the hotel, etc.

What was most striking is how "REAL" they made the movie look with that set. the Hotel was in reality nothing but a front with a stair case just inside the door that went nowhere. and the upstairs was just wide enough to stand on and look out the window. there was no back on any of it. The hotel burned down, but Mr. Moody made 'em build it back after they were done with the shooting. the old burned up piano was still sitting beside the rebuilt facade. The house was nothing but a facade with a front door and just in side the front room was just wide enough to stand back so you could walk out the door. And that bridge across the creek... In the movie it looked like it took for ever to walk across it... It was maybe 20-25 feet long in reality. It was a real bridge, but it sure wasn't much of a bridge.

And were Call buried Gus under all those big old pecan trees is one of the best turkey roosts in South Texas. I killed my first turkey with a bow within a hunert yards of the grave scene... The year after they finished the movie, we moved our camp up closer toward town so we could have electricity brought in.. sometimes I still miss that creek and that Sycamore Creek bottom...

Not much left of the movie set... the mesicans have stolen anything useful and took it back across the river... Yes, it was really built right on the Rio Grande. They just didn't really cross the river to go get the cattle... If you ever watch the remake of the Gunsmoke movie where Michael Learned played Miss Kitty because Amanda Blake died before they were able to make the movie, look at the movie town and house closely... same place/same set as Lonesome Dove...
              WOW! Thanks for sharing, that's a great story. Post up some of the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by AXIS_KILLER View Post
                "I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it. "
                Isn't that line in all of the lonesome dove movies? I know its in return to lonesome dove.

Comment

Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
                  Isn't that line in all of the lonesome dove movies? I know its in return to lonesome dove.
                  Nope suppose too be only in Lonesome Dove, though I bet the movie makers slipped it in. Only saw it in the LD novel.

Now Call DOES open a can of Burnadell on someone in every novel though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                    Nope suppose too be only in Lonesome Dove, though I bet the movie makers slipped it in. Only saw it in the LD novel.

Now Call DOES open a can of Burnadell on someone in every novel though!!!
                    I know I've seen it in at least 2 other movies. I've got the whole set I guess ill have to watch them and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

WoW, that is super cool... Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
                        I know I've seen it in at least 2 other movies. I've got the whole set I guess ill have to watch them and find out.
                        I wouldn't doubt it in the least, it's Call ' s signature line. Far as him whopping on someone it's

Dead Man's Walk: Cobb and Mexican commander, flips them out of they're buggy

Comanche Moon: Was pretty calm and collected, but Gus mentions he pistol whipped a Mexican bandit for having scorned him after the next one and it would of been in this time frame.

Lonesome Dove: Runs over with the Hell B****, beats him with a running iron and proceeds too change Dixon the Scout's attitude with a anvil before Augustus keeps him from killing him.

Streets of Laredo: Laredo Sheriff wouldn't cooperate about releasing Pea eye and Famous shoes, who he had accused of horse stealing (even though famous shoes never rode a horse)

Comment

When Gus was on his death bed....."give 'r $20 and tell 'r to keep on playin'"

Comment

Blue Duck "Let's Gamble"

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                              One of my favorite scenes:

Pea Eye: They're gonna try sneakin' up on us in the dark, ain't they Gus?

Gus: be takin' a chance if they do, couple of sharp-shooters like us

Pea Eye:I ain't no sharp-shooter. I usually miss if I ain't got time to take careful aim

Gus: 'y god but it's depressin' to talk to you, Pea
                              This always cracked me up....

Ole Pea Eye was just a little to honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                                Some saloon in San Antonio.......Call and McCrae walk up to the bar.

MCCRAE: I'd like a shot of whiskey, and so would my companion. If it ain't too much trouble. The bartender looks at them, annoyed. McCrae turns to a table of men playing cards. Howdy boys, you got a good game going there? Murmurs of "... who the hell is that?" come from the table. Nobody answers McCrae.

MCCRAE (to bartender): You got mud in your ears, or what?

BARTENDER: Rye, or what'll it be, old timer?

MCCRAE: Rye will do, provided it gets here quick.

BARTENDER (visibly irritated): Durn cowboys oughta broom yourselves off before you walk in here. We got all the sand we need without the customers bringing it in. He pours a shot for McCrae. That'll be a dollar.

McCrae lays a silver dollar on the bar. As the bartender reaches for it, McCrae grabs him by the hair and slams his head onto the bar. He then pulls out his pistol and presses it against the man's nose. Call grins and turns away.

MCCRAE: Now, besides the whiskey, I think we'll require a little respect. I'm Captain Augustus McCrae, and this here is Captain Woodrow F. Call. Now, if you care to turn around, you can see how we looked when we was younger. When the people around here wanted to make a settlement.

McCrae puts the gun against the bartender's cheek and turns his head around. He's now facing behind the bar, looking directly at an old framed photograph of McCrae, Call, and Jake Spoon as Texas Rangers years ago.

MCCRAE: Now, the thing we didn't put up with back then, was dawdling service. And as you can see, we still don't put up with it.

McCrae tosses his empty shot glass in the air, and shoots it with his pistol.

MCCRAE: Now then. If I could have a fresh glass, please.

BARTENDER (still holding his profusely bleeding nose): You just broke my nose!! You old son of a....

McCrae clocks him with his gun on the side of the head. He slinks to the floor unconscious. McCrae pours himself and Call a shot from the bottle on the bar. They raise their glasses to toast.

MCCRAE: Well, here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X